What's new

If you had a budget of $1000-$1200 for main speakers.... (1 Viewer)

Vincent_S

Second Unit
I am looking for some opinions for powered tower speakers. I have a powered sub right now. I do not want to purchase anything on line. I currently have some Infinity RS-5's that I a have been pleased with but I just want to upgrade. A few brands around here that are carried by local stores are Infinity, Boston Acoustics, NHT,Paradigm, Definitive Technology(probably what I will end up getting), B&W(out of my price range). I am going to audition these in the next week or two. So does anyone have any other opinions for my price range?

Hap C

Agent
Nice problem to have! Lots of nice stuff around at that price range. I picked up a pair of NHT VT2.4 towers on closeout recently for a little less than $1K. Great speakers, IMHO, but hey speakers are a personal thing. Read the reviews at Link Removed and look around on the net, some dealers still have a few pair around. Got mine from Sound City in NJ, and they shipped for free.
You might also want to listen to the PSB Stratus Silver; they can be had in that price range, or the Stratus Gold for a bit more.

The floorstanding B&W 604 S3s can be had for 1370 after tax(8.25% $1260 before). The 603 S3 speakers would cost less than a grand out the door.

Brandon Blair

Stunt Coordinator
My personal favorite speaker company JMlab makes some of the best stuff there is. They have several different lines at different price levels. For what you're looking for check out their Chorus 715's (retail=$895) or their Chorus 725's (retail=$1295).
Link Removed
Good Luck,
Brandon

chella

Stunt Coordinator
Since you specify "powered", your choices are limited. Paradigm has discontinued its "active" series. As you mention, your best bet will be only Def Tech. If you think outside the "powered" speakers there are many choices in your range, including B&W and Paradigm.

Kevin C Brown

Senior HTF Member
I would recommened spending a little bit more, and getting Vandersteen 2 CE Signatures ($1549 a pair list):
http://www.stereophile.com/showarchives.cgi?284
(Make sure to read the entire review including the manufacturer's comments.)
I personally would recommend non-powered mains with a separate sub. a) Easier to optimize your bass response by simply moving your sub around. b) With powered subs in your mains, you can get nasty interference effects due to constructive (peaks) and decosntructive (valleys) interference. (A problem in general with "stereo" subs.)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks