If you had $800...another one of those threads HELP

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by Steven J. Hurst, Nov 20, 2003.

1. Steven J. Hurst

I have $800 and need to pick up an entire audio system for %90 home theater %10 music. The following criteria apply:

-I do not want refurbished or used anything (this is a gift and I do not want to give a "used" anything)
    -I have a new subwoofer already
    -I need a receiver and speakers - I would be ok with giving just two fronts and a center. I would then add the surrounds at a later time.

I would really appreciate the help and advice from all the experts here.

Thank you in advance to anyone that contributes!

Steve Hurst

2. ChrisLazarko

ChrisLazarko Supporting Actor

$800 is decent amount to spend...

I would listen to 3 different systems at this level, JBL NSP1, the Athena Micro's and the Klipsch Quintets, 3 awesome systems that are only going to run you about $300-400 but that is of course without a subwoofer.

As for recievers, this is where it gets tricky. So far if you figure you spent about $350 for the speakers.

I know you don't want refurbished recievers but I have told several people about the Harman/Kardon AVR-125 refurbished at www.soundcity.com for $200. It's a great entry level reciever and is going to give you alot more than other recievers especially for the price. I know people who have bought it and they have absolutely no trouble. Harman also give a FULL warranty with the refurbished product so you can buy with confidence.

Last, Harman honors there warranties better than any company I have ever seen. One guy on the forums returned his old reciever to them because it stopped working, it was out of warranty and they gave him a discount on a brand-new reciever which is very generious. The Harman is a quality product and I would take a look before you cross it out. If not it will be very hard to find a reciever that will even come close to the Harman's quality for $200.

If you are looking to turn away from refurbished totally then check out www.onecall.com

For an entry-level setup that is about the best that it gets so definantly take a look at it.

Hope this helps you.

3. John S

John S Producer

I went and looked at the AVR-125, and wowsers, that has to be the best under $200 reciever in the land. I am buy'n it for somebody for xmas now myself.

On the speakers.. Maybe look at the Yamaha NS-639? 8" woofer 3 way book shelf. They go for like $99 a pair.
    Get 3 pair, maybe double two up for your center channel.

On the sub, take what is left of the budget, and get the meanest sub you can find and still make budget.

That would be an awesome sounding system for not much money.

4. Steven J. Hurst

Thank you both for your input, I actually have a polk PSW 450 sub already.

I was considering putting most of the money into the receiver (maybe a Kenwood VR-7070) and filling out the remaining speakers as budget affords. I did look at the Ascend CBM-170's maybe I could get three of those (2 fronts and one as a center) then get the surrounds as budget permits.

Any advice based on this info?

Thank you again for the help.

Steve

5. Jeff_Fitz

Jeff_Fitz Stunt Coordinator

Steven:

It looks like you have the receiver and sub decided so I will concentrate on the speakers.

Since this is a gift, I am also going to assume that you will be buying your receiver from an authorised dealer. With that assumption you will probably be spending about $400 for the VR7070, leaving $400 for speakers.

There are three ways to approach this in my opinion:

1) The approach you mentioned with the fronts, a center, and your existing sub. You would probably want to target a 5.1 speaker system in the $1K range for this option. I would suggest the Axiom Epic Midi system. For now you could buy the:
    - M2i Bookshelves ($255)
    - VP50 Center ($180)
    (includes free shipping)

2) Go with a 2.1 system for now that can be upgraded to 5.1 or 6.1 later. Remember, every DVD comes with a stereo track as well as a multi-channel track. Matching your existing sub with a $400 dollar set of mains will be the start of smoking system. You would probably want to target a 5.1 speaker system in the $1500 range for this option. I would suggest the Axiom Epic Grand Master system. For now you could buy the:
    - M22Ti Bookshelves ($400)
    (includes free shipping)

3) Go with a less expensive 5.1 set of speakers that you can buy all at once, right now. For this approach, you have to get all 5 speakers (assuming a 5.1 setup) for $400. I would suggest:
    - Fluance SX-HTB system ($260 plus approximately $65 Shipping)

If you want to compare specs and MSRP's on many 5.1 speaker systems and receivers, check out the buyers guides at http://hometheater.valuecanuck.com.

Hope that helps,

Jeff