If you had 8,000 dollars...

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Daniel J, Sep 17, 2001.

1. Daniel J

Daniel J Stunt Coordinator

I need a projector for a ~20'X~13' screen.
    Little ambient light most of the time, but there will be presentation, bands, dramas, etc. in the future, so It should be able to handle some controlled stage lighting (in front of the screen).
    What should I be looking at?
    I've been reccomended the Mits. X400, the Sanyo PLC-XP30, and the Proxima DP9280 by various local (Edmonton, AB) dealers.
    Is a usable D-ILA or high end DLP within my price limit? ($9,000 US max, unless we want to sell the church...)
    Does anyone know of any other projects like this?

2. Sean M

Sean M Stunt Coordinator

The Proxima is a rebadge of the Sanyo and sells for $1500 to $2000 US more in the states on average. The Sanyo also has 500 lumens more brightness than the Mits and is $1200 cheaper, best price to best price on www.projectorcentral.com. All three projectors will yield enough light for the screen you want in a darkened room, but I'd go with the Sanyo, for obvious reasons. Your prices may be different in Canada, but all three are great projectors.
    ------------------
    "Experience is the one thing you can't get for nothing." - Oscar Wilde

3. Dan Hine

Dan Hine Screenwriter

Just curious, but aren't Sanyo projectors just Eiki's but with a different name? Or do I have it backwards?
    Dan Hine

4. Scott Pultz

Scott Pultz Auditioning

I would head over to www.avsforum.com and ask around. Lots of people have DLP and DILA projectors there.

5. Jon_Mx

Jon_Mx Agent

Eiki is the one who repackages, but usually Eiki offers a longer warrenty.

6. Daniel J

Daniel J Stunt Coordinator

I did post over at AVS, but that board is somewhat more crowded, and posts are quite easily ignored.
    So the proxima is the same as the Sanyo? Hmm...
    I was just wondering if anyone had any other suggestions. I want to make sure we get the right projector, as this must be the only purchase for the next decade or so...
    BTW, is buying online worthwhile? I'd like to get a good price, but not at the expense of service.

7. Kimmo Jaskari

Kimmo Jaskari Screenwriter

From what I have heard and read, there are several online companies that give good service. Medical video systems and the people sponsoring the AVSForum spring to mind (although no personal experience due to being way over here in Finland).
    Perhaps someone else can chime in with their own experiences.
    ------------------
    /Kimmo

8. Richard Watt

Richard Watt Agent

I would also suggest you check out the AVS Forums. They have wonderful members and tons of helpful info on any kind of projection setup. I'm in the market for a used CRT FP myself, but my budget is close to $1700.

9. Jeff Whitford

Jeff Whitford Screenwriter

I have a Seleco HT250 for sale. Its listed in the hardware for sale area. Its a great DLP HD ready projector.
    ------------------
    Jeff Whitford
    Hometheater Guru