What's new

If you had 7.5K for a H/T Gear what would you get. (1 Viewer)

MichaelMilton

Auditioning
I thought I knew what I wanted, but having second thoughts.

I am looking for a Processor, 7 Channels of true 200 watts at 8ohms, and a really nice DVD player like the Denon 3910.

What would you buy if you had this budget?

Thanks

Michael

Steve_L

Stunt Coordinator
Michael, I'm not sure what I'd buy, but my strategy would be to find the speakers first and work back toward the electronics.

At that price point you can probably be looking at separates for amp power too. Understanding your speaker efficiency and power requirements can lead you to understanding your audio amplifier requirements. Those components aren't going to change rapidly so they can be considered long term investments.

On the other hand, changes in audio/video formats are happening more frequently and perhaps spending high end dollars on very expensive front end decoders and processors isn't a long a term investment and therefore look to spend a bit less there.

Just my opinion. I'd be listening to lot's of real nice speakers if I were sitting on that budget.

PS Got a equivalent video strategy going on?

mackie

Supporting Actor
Yep - start with speakers. I'd set aside at least 1/2 for the speakers and the rest for electronics. Are you including video in that set-up?

ChrisHeflen

Supporting Actor
If I had to do it over again, "I" would look at these three.
Anthem
Arcam
Cary
or a mix of these.

for the dvd player the new Pioneer Elite 79avi.

ColinM

Senior HTF Member
Pray tell us, o consumer, what thy speakers are.

Me being me, I'd go for full blown Lexicon, if possible.

mackie

Supporting Actor
I'd probably buy an anthem prepro and anthem or outlaw amps. The Denon DVD player looks good too. I'm having a major jones for a projector, so I'd look into that.

I'm holding off making any major changes in my electronics until the new HD DVD/BlueRay/ Dolby True HD formats come out and settle down. I'm afraid that anything you buy now won't be compatible with the new formats and i'll need to buy new equipment again in a year or two. My Denon 3803 and 2200 have all the features that really make a difference to me.

Brian Osborne

Stunt Coordinator
I am in about the same boat you are Micheal. I am putting together a new HTS with a budget of about 7K. I also have a good set of speakers.
Here is what I have decided on. Please, any comments would be appreciated.

TV - Samsung DLP 6167
Amp/Tuner - the new Onkyo 803 - nice features here for under 1K
DVD - Toshiba XS52 or XS54 - I know, I know, they dont support SACD, DVDA, HDDVD, or blu ray, but I'll add a second DVD in a few years. these have the features I was really looking for
Sub amp/TST - I am going to install a TST (floor shaker sub) in my floor so I'll need a stand alone Amp to power that
And I'm guessing that I'll spend about 1K on wiring and surge protection

and my speakers are Technics THX 125/250w 6 ohm speakers, I'll have to add a pair of left and right rears to get to my 7.1 - still up in the air about what speakers would work best.

mackie

Supporting Actor
Brian - let me ask a few more questions.

Based on your display choice, movies and TV seem to be your primary interest. What percentage of your time will you spend with video vs. music?

I haven't seen technics speakers in any of the shops I've visited lately, so finding a center to match your mains may be difficult. Have you listened to speakers lately?

I don't know how much a TST costs. What will one run you?

MichaelMilton

Auditioning
I have decided to get the following

Anthem AVM30 Processor
Anthem MCA 50 5x200
Anthem MCA 20 2x200
Denon 3910 DVD Player
SVS Sub

Michael

Brian Osborne

Stunt Coordinator
For me movies will be my primary use for the HTR. My wife and I do have a pretty extesive musice collection (about 2000 albums), all of which are on my computer. We do on occasion listen to music, but only casual listening.
Movies, Movies, Movies.
I'll be hooking my computer up to the system as well - to be able to browse pictures, surf the internet, play online games and listen to stored music. I need to do a little research on sound cards - I need one that will allow my Amp to do the processing instead of the card
The TST I'm looking as is a Clark - about $330.00, with a 250w amp will push about 2000 lbs of force, so I'm talking to a friend of mine about helping me build the floor strong enough to handle it, yet flexable enough to feel it. The house is slated for a closing December 2nd, and I'll be finishing the basement the following week. I'll post on that when its done.
As far as the speakers that I've got, I cant remember the series(in storage now). They were bought 4 or 5 years ago. Cost about 3K for the set of 5+ 2 200w powered passive sub boxes. I need to get a couple of rear centers - should be a little easier to get something to sound good. The exsisting rears are 60/125 watt sealed dipole with a 5 1/2 main woofer and tweeters on each side.
I haven't really shopped for speakers lately. Most places I've gone to and listen to the ones set up in showrooms such as Circuit City, Best Buy and others. I listen closely and honestly don't hear anything noticable better than what I've got without spending another 3 or 4K.

mackie

Supporting Actor
I'm having a little trouble following your description of your equipment.

From what I can tell, you have 5 technics speakers that you like - 2 of which are dipole, two passive subs you power with amps. Did the speakers come as part of a complete system consisting of receiver and speakers? Is one of your speakers being used as a dedicated center channel?

You're wanting a 61" rear projection samsung DLP, a onkyo 803 receiver, two additional surround speakers, and a TST floor shaker with amp. You also want to connect your PC to your HT system, and you're setting up your HT in your basement. Your budget is $7,500.

A couple of things to keep in mind. While speaker power handling shouldn't be ignored it's not terribly important. Also, technically there is no such thing as a rear center. In a 5.1 setup you have Left and right main speakers, center speaker, two surround speakers, and a sub. In a 6.1 setup you have left & right main speakers, center speaker, and three surround speakers usually set-up with two behind and to the side of the seating position and one surround behind the seating position, and the sub. With a 7.1 the fronts and sub are the same but you have 4 surround speakers. A properly setup 5.1 can be every bit as effective as a 7.1 set-up. Finally, the surrounds are very important speakers but if you're going to use different makes and models this is where you use them. It's good to have matching speakers in all positions but the surrounds aren't as critical as the front three speakers.

With all that said and done...I'd do the following for a movie based system

get the TV $3500

get the receiver $1000

get a Hsu or SVS sub for $800 - won't need a floor shaker with these...

spend maybe $200-$300 on cables, wire, power conditioning radio shack SPL meter

$200 on a universal remote

The rest would go to speakers by Paradigm, Boston, B&W, Klipsch, or Definitive tech.

For a music based system, I'd spend less on the TV and get better speakers

Finally, I'd use the stuff I already have as a second HT system so that I can watch football when my fiance wants to watch Opra...

mylan

Screenwriter
Anthem, Denon, SVS, great set-up, for about 7.5K, now what about video displays? Speakers? You never said if video was to be part of that budget, if so, go back to to the drawing board or raise the budget.
I spent 6K and got a Sony 60"LCD, Denon 2910 (couldn't justify the extra $600 for the 3910), Monster power conditioner, a Salamander ent. center/tv stand, and cables. I'm using older speakers and receiver.

MichaelMilton

Auditioning
The 7.5K was just, amp, processor, sub and DVD. I sort of blew the budget by 2K, so I bought the DVD player on 18 months no interest payments. Nothing like using someone elses money.

The video will come from a Sony SRD 60" when I find a stand, that works in my room.

I am using NHT VT-2 speakers which are okay, and plan to keep for the next two years, while I build up a saving account for new speakers. I am going to give myself 10K for new speakers.

I love the Anthem gear, just need to get it calibrated.

Michael

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks