If you had $5000 to spend...

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Marc Rochkind, Dec 22, 2001.

1. Marc Rochkind

Marc Rochkind Second Unit

Aug 26, 2000
    ... on a system with 16:9 TV, progressive-scan DVD, receiver, and speakers, how would you spend it?

Here's my attempt:

Toshiba 57H81 -- $2990

Toshiba SD4700 (DVD) -- $230

Denon AVR-3802 -- $780

Polk Audio RM6600 (5 speakers + sub) -- $1000

TOTAL -- $5000

(The Polk system was a wild guess on my part... I know nothing about them.)
  2. DonnyD

DonnyD Screenwriter

Jun 12, 1999

4700 Tosh DVD 230

Yamaha RX-Z1 3000

SVS Dual CS+/amp combo 3000

Norh 9.0 (mains and rears)

Norh 5.1 (front/rear center)

Norh 4.0 (front effects)

All Marbles! Afraid to add that one up!

BTW... guess at most of these prices, just drooling about them....

Yeah, that would be way more than 5000 but when you spend that much, you're gonna spend more... don't you think!!!?
  3. Rick Radford

Rick Radford Supporting Actor

May 12, 2001
    I tried to do that a few months ago and failed. $5k is too limiting, imo. Not that you can't get a good system for $5k.. but to try to hit a home run with $5k .. I couldn't do it.
    I think you'll maximize the video or audio.. but not both.
    I ended up spending about $6k and didn't even get a 16:9 RPTV. Another $1000-1500 and I could have done the 16:9 RPTV... but the current room/furniture wouldn't allow it (WAF, ya know). The 4:3 digital set should bridge the gap until I can do the 16:9 unit. I think I kinda lucked out with the speaker package as that was an untested/unheard combo for me.. and I'm pretty happy with it.
    Onkyo 989
    Panasonic RP91
    Hitachi 32udx10s
    Axiom M60Ti, VP100, M3Ti
    SVS 20-39cs/Samson 700
    AudioQuest interconnects
    Home Depot Carol 12g speaker wire, speaker stands for the surrounds, etc.
    I spent lots of time online at the various HT fora, shopped, negotiated, bought on sale, bought online (from authorized dealers), etc. and feel I got good prices (maybe not the lowest, but I didn't miss it by much).
    The more I read, the more I learned. The more I learned, the more my budget expanded. [​IMG] But I finally had to stop the budget expansion and jump in. Hopefully, I'll be able to upgrade along the way.
    I'm hoping for a parametric eq as my first upgrade. I'm gonna wait a bit on the 16:9 since we watch about 60:40 cable vs DVD... and that market is still in flux. (firewire, etc)
    Good luck and have fun!
  4. Chad Isaacs

Chad Isaacs Supporting Actor

Feb 20, 2000
    Well,do you want a tv or a TV?I would go with a good used crt porjector or a new lcd or dlp.You should be able to do really good for $2500or so.

For the dvd player,I really do not have any clue,I am not quite in the market for one yet.

Audio,you should have close to $3000 to play with,here is what I would do

I would go with either an outlaw 1050 or onkyo 595,both are under $500,I think.

Speakers,Klipsch all the way,I have and love the sf-2 for the fronts,sc-1 for the center and sb-1s for the rear,I paid right at $1000 for the set after a nice dealer discount.

Sub,look no further than svs.I have a single 25-31cs powered by an older yamaha reciever,I would get a powered one or buy a good amp.

So now you have around $1000 or so for cables,dvds,shipping etc.
  5. Sam_goh

Sam_goh Auditioning

Feb 28, 2000
    I don't know if you have a Sam's wholesale club close, but you might check with them. They had a 57H81 for $2299 at the one locally last night, I almost bought it.