If you had 3k for speakers, what would you get.

Discussion in 'Speakers' started by douglas_s, Nov 29, 2005.

1. douglas_s

douglas_s Auditioning

I'm in the process if spec'ing speakers for a new home Theater system (a Pioneer 50-inch plasma TV and Denon 3806 AVR), and haven�t a clue as to where to start.

The room is smallish (approx 11'x 22'), so I am thinking a 5.1 configuration will do just fine. I am afraid I have champagne taste (I love the sound of the B&W 800 series) on a beer budget ($3,000 allocated for speakers). I have read great things about (but never heard) Aperion, Mordant Short Avant series, the Magnepan line, and RBH.

I have spoken with one installer who was trying to push me towards a Sonance in-wall/ceiling installation. I haven been able to find a single write-up on Sonance that is more than luke-warm, and I have never heard an in-wall system that I liked.

Can anyone give me a few suggestions beyond, but in the class of B&W speakers, that I should consider?

2. SethH

SethH Cinematographer

You might consider the new Swan speakers from the Audio Insider. I'm pretty sure that if you do a search you'll find some people's comparison between the Swans and B&W's. I'm not saying that they're going to sound as good as the 800 series, but many say they have a similar sound.

3. MikeLi

MikeLi Supporting Actor

Is your application more geared for home theater or music?

You should check out the special sale package pricing at av123.com (Rockets). Great sounding and wonderfully made, just unbelievable. There are lots of folks that have them and have yet to hear anyone actually say they did not like them. Look at a 750 set up for Home Theater/Music combo and then save some money for a good sub which makes or breaks a movie. For that I would go to SVS subs.

4. John Menoni

John Menoni Stunt Coordinator

Mike, If your looking for an accurate speaker, look at Ascend. They were designed by a former engineer at M&K. They sound similar for a fraction of the price.

5. mackie

mackie Supporting Actor

The swans are okay, but I really don't find them to sound that much like the B&Ws.

$3000 gives you lots of choices. Go to the websites of the speakers you're interested in and find out what's close to where you live and then audition speakers. This will give you a good idea of what's out there even if you go the Internet direct route.

For the sub, your best bet will most likely be Hsu or SVS, but again I'd recommend listening to several models before buying.

I own Paradigm Studio and Swan speakers. I highly recommend the Studio series. A setup of 20s, center, and sub will meet your budget requirements and sound great. In my opinion, the Swans will be best in a HT system. I find they are worth what I paid for them, but not the bargain some feel they are. That's just my .02.

6. Yong Chan

Yong Chan Stunt Coordinator

Well, Mike beat me to the punch. I had 3K for speakers and I recently purchased Onix Rockets 760 towers and a RSC200 Center channel with a Hsu VTF3 MKII. My rears were already built in, so I only had to worry about my front 3. However, AV123 is having a special this month where they are throwing in their ELT Dipole rears if you purchase the 850's with the RSC200 center. They will discount them to 150 if you buy the 550's. I emailed customer service and asked where does the 760's fit in, and they offered them to me for free. Great customer service with great sounding speakers.

Surf the av123 forum to see if there is anyone in your area who would be willing to let you listen to theirs. I know; this sounded weird to me the first time I heard about it. Who wants to go to some weird person's house to listen to their speakers? It's pretty standard, and the people who buy the Onix speakers are very enthusiastic about the product.

Good luck and enjoy

YC

7. MikeLi

MikeLi Supporting Actor

Yes John but they look like well to each their own... I know they are good speakers but would never go with my upscale decor. I don't know why they dont think of offering some better looking cabinets.