What's new

If You Could Own Anything You Wanted On DVD.. (1 Viewer)

LouA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lou Antonicello
Ed Lachmann said:
Most of my holy grails are things I'll probably never see released in my life, although they were quite wonderful and popular in their time. I still hope and pray for (sorry there are more than five):
ADVENTURES IN PARADISE
BACHELOR FATHER
77 SUNSET STRIP
PEOPLE'S CHOICE
SURFSIDE 6
HAWAIIAN EYE
THE THIRD MAN (Complete)
RUN FOR YOUR LIFE
IT'S ABOUT TIME (Okay, guilty pleasure here)
MR. ADAM AND EVE (If film masters do ever turn up)
Still, I never dreamed I'd have all of DOBIE GILLIS or SEA HUNT, so I won't give up the ghost for any on my list yet.
All of these ( ESPECIALLY People's Choice) plus:
MY LITTTLE MARGIE
THE AMERICANS (1961)
THE GRAY GHOST,
CAPTAIN MIDNIGHT
AMERICAN BANDSTAND (50' EARLY 60'S)
DECEMBER BRIDE
HEY LANDLORD
TRACKDOWN
FERNWOOD/AMERICA 2NITE
LINEUP
1950's DRAGNET
THE CHARLIE FARRELL SHOW
SHINDIG
LIFE OF RILEY(Bendix)
ANDY'S GANG
LOVE THAT BOB
Complete SGT BILKO
FATHER OF THE BRIDE
ANGEL
HAPPY
HOLIDAY LODGE
I MARRIED JOAN
etc!!!

smithbrad

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brad
Even though I go back to the late 60's for TV watching, I don't have as extensive knowledge as many here on what was showing in the 50's and 60's, so my list is very short. I'm just including the two shows that caught my attention and that I've been able to sample but could never find any decent copies of.

- The Third Man (apparently unlikely to be released)
- The Rebel (Timeless is working on it so hopefully before the year is out there will be a release)

ljgranberry

Second Unit
Real Name
Larry Granberry
Complete Your Show of Shows and Caesar's Hour (including lost episodes)
1950's Dragnet remastered
The Defenders remastered
Route 66 remastered complete and uncut to night-of-original-broadcast shape
Naked City remastered

davidHartzog

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John smith
Richard Crenna's Janek t.v. movies from the 80s77 Sunset StripThe Lonely Profession, Harry Guardino t.v. movieCop RockHawaiian Eye and Surfside SixRun For Your LifeDarker Than Amber, Gunn, P.J. 60s p.i. flicks (actually I have these but they are copied off cable.)

Brian Himes

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brian
I'd have to say all uncut episodes of The Sonny & Cher Comedy Hour including the 6 episodes from the summer of 1971 that launched the series. Right now I'm only missing 5 episodes from this series.

All uncut episodes from the Cher show. I have several episodes but they are the VH1 30 minute versions so they are severely cut.

All uncut episodes from The Sonny and Cher Show (the post divorce series). I have all but 19 epsodes from this series.

All uncut episodes from The Sonny Comedy Review just to be a completeist. I've never seen any of this show, but I'd like to just to see if it was as bad as everyone says.

Lastly, all 11 uncut seasons of The Carol Brunett Show

Frank Soyke

Screenwriter
Real Name
Frank
Ill also throw in Puttin On The Hitz (a music clearance nightmare)

By the way, instead of Slattery's People, I think a great concept for a show would be one called Richard X. Slattery's People. LOL.

upperco

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Jackson Upperco
MARY KAY AND JOHNNY (1947-1950)
YOUR SHOW OF SHOWS (1950-1954) & CAESAR'S HOUR (1954-1957)
THE JACK BENNY SHOW (1950-1965)
THE GEORGE BURNS & GRACIE ALLEN SHOW (1950-1958)
I MARRIED JOAN (1952-1955)
OUR MISS BROOKS (1952-1956)
THE BOB CUMMINGS SHOW (1955-1959)
ANGEL (1960-1961)
LOVE ON A ROOFTOP (1966-1967)
HE & SHE (1967-1968)
THE CAROL BURNETT SHOW (1967-1978)
THE NEW DICK VAN DYKE SHOW (1971-1974)
THE CORNER BAR (1972-1973)
FAY (1975-1976)
MARY (1985-1986)
LIFE WITH LUCY (1986)

Also, very interested in early local television sitcoms .... like OH, MISS TUBBS! (1945), which starred Verna Felton.

oldtvshowbuff

Supporting Actor
Real Name
James Beer
I'd go for some vintage shows with relatively short runs of a season or two in DVD sets like the following.CRUSADER (CBS 1955-56, cancelled a third of the way thru 56-57)BRINGING UP BUDDY (CBS 1960-61)ICHABOD AND ME (CBS 1961-62)TWO FACES WEST (Syndicated 1960-61)TALLAHASSEE-7000 (Syndicated 1960-61)CASEY JONES (Syndicated 1957-58)And many, many, more!

Dave Lawrence

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Dave
Frank Soyke said:
What would be your top 5 fantasy picks?

Just a fun little game. Rules are simple. No rules. Pure fantasy. Take your most ridiculously unavailable wants and create a fantasy DVD shopping spree.
Okay, if we're talking fantasy/no rules/anything goes picks, then that means going beyond my "grail" list hopes which we've talked about in another recent thread. So here are the top 5 fantasy selections I'd make:

1) Every Johnny Carson-hosted episode of The Tonight Show from 1962 to 1992. - I wasn't born yet when the show left New York. With so much of that era lost forever beyond a relative handful of shows and clips, I would love to be able to see all of that period, and then continue on into the more familiar-to-me California era, since I started watching the show as a kid in the 80s. (There was also the syndicated Carson's Comedy Classics show back then which introduced me to a lot of 70s bits.)

2) Every Password episode - This is my favorite game show and I would love to have the entirety of all its various incarnations, from the 60s CBS daytime & nighttime versions, to the ABC years in the 70s, NBC's Password Plus and Super Password, and even the more recent Million Dollar Password.

3) The complete run of What's My Line - the 1950-1967 CBS version as well as the 1968-1975 syndicated version. It's my favorite of the Goodson-Todman panel game shows. Some of the episodes from early in the CBS run are considered lost, and by the time I originally got Game Show Network they were nearly done with showing the syndicated version as part of their regular lineup, so there is so much I still haven't gotten to see.

4) WKRP - Even with last year's China Beach and now the upcoming Wonder Years releases, I still think it's a certainty that a complete collection of the 4 seasons of the original WKRP and the 2 seasons of the 90s revival - with everything intact - will never happen. So to me it would be a must on this fantasy "go big or go home" list.

5) Edge of Night - This was a crime drama/soap opera hybrid (similar to how Dark Shadows was a gothic horror/soap hybrid) that ran for years on CBS and then ABC. Henry Slesar, who wrote some episodes of Alfred Hitchcock Presents, was head writer for much of Edge's run. As a kid, I'd only heard of this series and seen promos because my local ABC affiliate chose to show it's own programming each day after General Hospital rather than Edge. The local programming usually consisted of "The Million Dollar Movie" - showing chopped up old movies filled with commercials within a 2-hour slot except on those days when they were required to show the ABC Afterschool Specials. But awhile back, P&G and AOL released about a year's worth of episodes online. I think they would have eventually added more, but like the P&G DVD compilation releases of their other soaps, they just stopped putting more out at some point. But watching what was available was fun, and I'd love to see the full run.

And as I read over this thread and write my own list, I realize the catch to these fantasy lists isn't just the impossibility of these things coming true, it's that even if they did, we'd never have enough time to watch it all. (But it would definitely be fun to have the opportunity to try...)

moviebuff75

Screenwriter
Real Name
Eric Scott Richard
Laugh-In
Barbara Mandrell and the Mandrell Sisters
All of the Walt Disney television series
All of the Brady Bunch spin-offs
All of The Flintstones spin-offs
All of the Hanna-Barbera series
All of the Peanuts documentary specials

JamesSmith

Senior HTF Member
(1) NBC Saturday morning Preview Ads from 1973-75.(2) NBC 1980-85 Family Christmas Specials--hosted by NBC stars(3) 1970-1985 Saturday AM Fall Preview Specials(4) David Copperfield 1975-1985 CBS Specials and Solid Gold appearances.Domestic Life Martin Mull 1984 seriesJames

Brian Himes

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brian
Dave Lawrence said:
5) Edge of Night - This was a crime drama/soap opera hybrid (similar to how Dark Shadows was a gothic horror/soap hybrid) that ran for years on CBS and then ABC. Henry Slesar, who wrote some episodes of Alfred Hitchcock Presents, was head writer for much of Edge's run. As a kid, I'd only heard of this series and seen promos because my local ABC affiliate chose to show it's own programming each day after General Hospital rather than Edge. The local programming usually consisted of "The Million Dollar Movie" - showing chopped up old movies filled with commercials within a 2-hour slot except on those days when they were required to show the ABC Afterschool Specials. But awhile back, P&G and AOL released about a year's worth of episodes online. I think they would have eventually added more, but like the P&G DVD compilation releases of their other soaps, they just stopped putting more out at some point. But watching what was available was fun, and I'd love to see the full run.
This would be a fun series to see all of, unfortunately, until 1975 the show was done live so there are few (about 40) actual filmed episodes left from that era. P&G continued to wipe the tapes until about 1978, so from what I've been able to find out, only from about 1979 to the end of the series (1984) survives. But I would like to see it all. I do remember seeing a few episodes in the early 70s (around 1971 or so).

Gary OS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gary
I'm breaking a self-imposed rule by doing this, but here are my ultimate wish-list items. All of these would have to be complete, and with zero music substitutions. In no particular order my five are:

1) Ozzie & Harriet full run (still not convinced we'll ever get the full, uncut run - per reports from Sam Nelson and others)

2) Harlem Globetrotters - original H/B cartoon (not the Super Globetrotters)

3) Doctor Who - the entire Patrick Troughton run from the 60's (now that is a pipe dream)

4) Disney Anthologies - everything from Disneyland to The Wonderful World of Disney

5) Boston Blackie

Gary "hard to limit it to just five, and my list would probably change a little if you asked me again tomorrow" O.

Walter Kittel

Senior HTF Member
And as I read over this thread and write my own list, I realize the catch to these fantasy lists isn't just the impossibility of these things coming true, it's that even if they did, we'd never have enough time to watch it all. (But it would definitely be fun to have the opportunity to try...)
+1. As Dave pointed out, finding the time can be a chore in and of itself.

A few that come to mind include::

Laugh-In
The Flip Wilson Show
The Smothers Brothers Comedy Hour
Dean Martin Variety Show

These would be complete sets, not edited, or "best of" sets.

Variety shows tend to have more re-watch potential for me because as the name implies, they have more variety. :)

- Walter.

David Weicker

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
Gary OS said:
I'm breaking a self-imposed rule by doing this, but here are my ultimate wish-list items. All of these would have to be complete, and with zero music substitutions. In no particular order my five are:3) Doctor Who - the entire Patrick Troughton run from the 60's (now that is a pipe dream)Gary "hard to limit it to just five, and my list would probably change a little if you asked me again tomorrow" O.
A BIG plus one on the Troughton's (although last year was a very good year on that front).

Jari K

Senior HTF Member
"The Frank Sinatra Show", uncut, all the music, etc. And both of those, 50-52 and 57-58.

Mark Collins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark
Peyton Place a complete series released and restored the way Voyage was restored.Peyton Place Revisited and the daytime soap Return to Peyton PlaceMurder in Peyton PlacePeyton Place the Next GenerationEdge of Night I grew up with and watched the very last episode. The show was rerun on the USA network like Peyton Place.The show is out there to be had from the USA broadcast but because of forum rules I cannot say where. I do not have it.I want the Edge of Night 90 minute special that aired on ABC late night when it switched from CBS to ABC. I would also like those early and mid 70s part of the show. I was a huge fan and the show was the Perry Mason of daytime.Here is the history and a fan tributehttp://www.emmytvlegends.org/interviews/shows/edge-of-night-theThere was even a paper back novel written of the series.Here is another tribute and a fan restored the opening I grew up with as a kid.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks