If you could create the ultimate RPG…

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by AlexJ, Sep 30, 2002.

1. AlexJ

AlexJ Agent

Don’t get me wrong. Final Fantasy, Morrowind, Zelda, Baldur’s Gate and on and on… I’m not complaining! These are amazing games. It’s just that I want to see more realism: same fantastic worlds and characters, but more fluid action with no interrruptions or cuts between scenes – as true to a real life experience as possible without sacrificing the fantasy. Does anybody agree with me? If you could design your own RPG for a next-gen. console, wouldn’t you want vehicles and aircraft and huge worlds to explore and characters that move and talk as naturally as in real life?

2. Marshall W. Carter

Marshall W. Carter Stunt Coordinator

I think the aspect that needs to be considered is that of story-telling, since in a way, that is the most important part of a traditional RPG. You can have great graphics, a nice battle system and what not, but without the story, the game will ultimately come up short. RPG's, particularly those like Final Fantasy, are very much linear and scripted. Despite all the optional sidequests, you'll still end up with more or less the same ending (they're not going to make multiple prerendered ending sequences after all). Some people complain about this, but if it were not this way, you'd end up wandering around aimlessly with no idea about what to do next, aside from trial and error. That would get boring quickly, and attempts at less 'linear' RPG's have failed (Square's Saga Frontier series for instance).

I think you'll probably find what you're looking for in an online RPG, such as Final Fantasy XI, Star Wars: Generations or Everquest. They're not as story-driven, as they're really more about raising your character's level and finding/buying better weapons, gear, and sometimes transportation. The fact that most other characters will be another gamer gives that added realism you might be looking for, and since the developers are trying to convince you that you are in a fantasy world, and try to convey how all aspects of life in that world would be, it might very well be as realistic as fantasy can be. While I do see traditional, scripted RPG's continuing to be a mainstay (everyone likes a good story, especially one in which they get to participate to an extent), the MMORPG seems to be a lot closer to what you're looking for.

3. Dave E H

Dave E H Supporting Actor

I'm a big RPG fan and prefer my games to be more of the 'old school' console variety - dungeon crawler, leveling up, etc. For me, I want cutting-edge graphics, a great story, and an interesting combat system (I prefer turn-based.) I don't care about voice acting usually - I subtitled RPG would be fine with me. GOod music is definitely a bonus - the games are so long where you need something interesting to listen to.

All in all - what do I want? MORE RPGs! There's been a dearth of really good ones IMHO with this gen of consoles. I'm hoping we'll see some good ones in the next few months though.

4. Clinton McClure

Clinton McClure Casual Enthusiast
    Supporter

Clint
    I would personally love to see RPGs like the original DOS versions of Dungeons & Dragons RPGs I had on the Commodore 64. The old clunky games like Pool Of Radience, Curse Of The Azure Bonds, Pool Of Darkness, etc... were the best. If you're not familar with the way they worked, they were turn-based games (based on the 1st edition D&D rules) without all the silly cut scenes. There was no music, only sound effects. (I don't like video game music..it gets annoying very quickly.) The graphics were not that great (but they were cutting edge for the time), but the games themselves were very immersive. You were in a first-person POV, but it would change to a third-person POV for battles. Unlike some of the current games where it is just you, or you and one or two other characters which you have little creative control over, you could put up to 6 or 8 characters in your party. You chose their race, name, what they looked like, battle avatars, etc... Their abilities were all determined by a roll of the dice. You could play through one game (but it would take several months, not days or hours) and go on quests, find magical items, explore dungeons, and build your character's levels up. Some of the current games are set up so when you kill the creatures you encounter, they're gone for good, so you can only build your experience up so far. In the good old days, the games included a random creature generator which ensured you could always find creatures to fight. You could then export your pre-established character to the next game and continue playing. They were a bit like the current Baulder's Gate and Pool Of Radience games, but seemed to be much more fun to me. Basically what I want are games like they used to make, but with better graphics. The only thing better than those RPGs were actually playing D&D on paper with dice (which I did from the time I was in 4th grade until my sophomore year in high school).

5. AlexJ

AlexJ Agent

I like the thoughtful responses on this board. Marshall, your response interests me in particular. I didn't know that a multiple choice ending RPG had already been tried. I was thinking that no one has tried it yet. I'm disappointed to think that it doesn't work very well. It seems to me that the prospect of different possible endings would be very exciting... perhaps it just has to be done right. I was reading about a game coming out called HAVEN that looks like it will be a blend of RPG size and 3PS action. It definitely sounds innovative. Read this game description (says it better than I can) and you'll see what I mean: http://www.haven.midway.com/

6. Jay_Sharp

Jay_Sharp Stunt Coordinator

Let's see:
    1. A fresh approach to RPG, I'm starting to get real sick of elves and druids. I liked what Nihilistic was doing with Vampire the Masquerade just wish someone would take it to the next level.
    2. Something where I am a nobody, then suddenly two days or a month later I am a god. Oh boy (yawn). How about a regressive game where I start as a god and end up growing younger or weaker as the game progresses. Anything to break this pattern.
    3. A game where NPCs have schedules, don't stand in the rain, saying the same canned phrases.
    4. Logical placement of treasure. Why does a wolf give me a +2 shield when I kill it. [​IMG] Why do all these barrels in town have gold? This is pure laziness on the part of the world populators.
    5. Something that lets me play evil (or good) and reacts to that rpg'ing. If I kill someone in town, it starts to get around (not like in Morrowind, where the whole damn continent knew instantly...[​IMG]
    6, No Moogles [​IMG] Gah. Or Chocobos. Or spikey-haired protagonists who don't remember who they are and are part of some silly-named, paramilitary unit who must protect the world form some ham-fisted metaphor about nuclear war. The Earth...you see is...(wait for it)...ALIVE! We must protect the Earth. (zzzzzzz). Or Engrish. Or all the women who say "Tee-hee" and cover their mouths. Just stop the corniness. [​IMG] Please! I'm beggin ya Jerry!
    Most likely candidate for this all to succeed? Fable (formerly known as Project Ego).
    I've heard Divine Divinity is pretty good. As is Summoner 2. Might try giving them a whirl.

7. JohnE

JohnE Supporting Actor

Yeah, I'm with Dave. I love RPG's and I love the leveling. It just makes my work seem worth it, when I finally get a good weapon/skill/magic item/ect. And even though I love the fantasy setting for my rpg's, ireally wouldn't mind seeing some inovation.

8. AlexJ

AlexJ Agent

9. JayV

JayV Supporting Actor

Did anyone here find Arcanum to be a nice change of pace?
    Arcanum's pluses:
    • Unique setting (fantasy world in its Industrial Age)
    • Non-D&D character development
    • You are not the God of Murder, Foot Massage, etc.
    • Multiple endings
    Clinton, I'm afraid Arcanum doesn't do the massive D&D-style party, although you can have a henchman or two. There is also a dog available, which is probably a nod to the Fallout RPG (which in turn was probably a nod to the Mad Max film).
    Maybe the overall solution is a big party of friends being taken through a Neverwinter Nights module with an active DM online.
    -j

10. AlexJ

AlexJ Agent

I want someone to create an RPG about an actual war, only with FPS gameplay. ya know, kinda like MOH, only you have the choices and consequential outcomes like in an RPG.

11. Clinton McClure

Clinton McClure Casual Enthusiast
    Supporter

Clint
    Jay - I picked up Arcanum last October and have yet to find the time to install and play it. At least the box looks good. Hopefully, I will get a break soon where I can take a couple days to install it and dig in because I hear it's really good.

The last really good RPG I played was Ultima Online about 2 years ago. It was pretty fun but I didn't have the time to play it much and couldn't justify spending cash to play online when I never got to. If I could get down a set work schedule, I might install and join up once again.

12. Dave E H

Dave E H Supporting Actor

One other thing I'll add - endess hack and slash does get boring. So do endless random encounters (the one knock I have against Skies of Arcadia.)

I am probably going to buy Grandia Extreme, but the IGN review says the constant battles make it kinda tedious.

13. Sean Oneil

Sean Oneil Supporting Actor

How about a game like Ultima 4 ..modernized

14. BrianB

BrianB Producer

15. Romier S

Romier S Producer

16. Joe D

Joe D Supporting Actor

I just started playing Morrowind, wow. Where does one begin.

I agree on the Deus Ex recommendation, a great mix of the FPS and the RPG genre, more FPS though. I just finished playing Deus Ex 2. Good game, but no where near as good as Deus Ex 1. Worth playing though.

I guess my ultimate RPG is a mix between a game like Final Fantasy 3 and something like Knights of the Old Republic.

That is:

The Huge Story of Final Fantasy 3, minus the billion random encounters, with more of an emphasis on quests. For example, Locke would do some thiefing instead on a few of the Empire's houses instead of killing everything in sight.

Actually, Knights of the Old Republic was pretty damn awesome, so that's my ultimate RPG.

17. Sean*O

Sean*O Second Unit

It's back! [​IMG]

18. Romier S

Romier S Producer

19. Joe D

Joe D Supporting Actor

Romier,

Ya, I figured that, but the game is still worth picking up. Especially since it's cheap now. But everyone would probably be lost if they haven't played the first one.

I had two major problems with the game.

1. The maps were way too small. Deus Ex 1 had huge maps, Invisible War's maps are tiny.

2. Weapons, how much damage do they do? Why do they use the same ammo?

I also miss the great emotionless voice acting from the 1st. Nothing beats that guy from FEMA's voice, cold and harsh to the max.

More thought on the Ultimate RPG,

Something like Final Fantasy 3 combined with more of an option to build your characters, along with being able to ally with different people. I think it would have been awesome to go along with Kefka for once. That is what is cool about KOTOR, want to be good, fine. Want to be evil, fine. Also, more questing than fighting.

20. Martin Rendall

Martin Rendall Screenwriter

It was all downhill after Wizardry (and not II or III, either!). No wait - it was all downhill after Nethack, I mean uMoria, er...

Morrowind was awesome, though. Nice and open ended. Looking forward to the new version coming with the new consoles.

Didn't much care for Fable. Too linear and short. Same issues with the KOTOR games.

Martin.