What's new

If you consider yourself a prude, don't read this Blu-ray recommendation.... (1 Viewer)

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Jesse Skeen said:
With Blockbuster gone now, hopefully studios won't be so afraid to release NC-17 movies in the future.
Blockbuster hasn't been a force in the industry for years so I don't think they've had any bearing on stuidos releasing NC-17 rated movies for quite a while.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Aaron Silverman said:
Do Netflix or Redbox have any qualms about NC-17?
Netflix has(had??) 9 Songs. They also had shortbus...once.Neither of those movies have a US DVD/ BD as explicit as the Euro counterpart though.Shortbus, like 9 Songs, has edit cropping on the US release.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
By the way. Figured out the edits in Shortbus...During the scene previously described...The camera zooms out...a lot. The UK version is practically a head shot for an extended sequence.(that is as best as I'm going to explain the scene)

ahollis

Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Allen
TravisR said:
Blockbuster hasn't been a force in the industry for years so I don't think they've had any bearing on stuidos releasing NC-17 rated movies for quite a while.
But Wal-Mart and Target do.

gruagach

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Henry
It's good to know about the director's cut this time. After ordering The Extraordinary Adventures of Adele Blanc-Sec, I discovered another version was being released. As it was in the shipping phase, it was too late to cancel.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
gruagach said:
It's good to know about the director's cut this time. After ordering The Extraordinary Adventures of Adele Blanc-Sec, I discovered another version was being released. As it was in the shipping phase, it was too late to cancel.
That is why you need to invest in region-free playback.

Even a movie as innocuous as Couple Retreat...

The "pay-channel" version has a scene that exists nowhere else. A scene of calisthenics(led by the same SNL cast member who is also in Suburgatory) that is not on DVD-BD anywhere.

To boot...the US cut beech scene involving "not wearing any drawers"...is a close up on the US release and a zoom out on Euro releases(although...you still don't see any "junk"). So people saying the same cuts/zooms/pans exist all over are wrong.

Moe Dickstein

Filmmaker
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
T R Wilkinson
Sam, in all your copious free time it would be cool if you put together a website with comparative screen grabs to educate people about this stuff.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
We already have those websites...

DVD-Compare
Movie-censorship.com

per-country censorship on movie cuts is hardly new. I was buying French cuts of movies on VHS.

The real issue is when you see two DVD of the same movie between three countries...and all three have the same time. You would instinctly assume all three were the same cut of the movie. But with scene speed up and slow down run rampant, it is possible that a US release cuts 5 seconds from a scene and covers up the time with the next scene slowed down. Or, like alluded to earlier...close up where other countries remain panned out.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks