1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

If you are using the digital output on your cd player is it....

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by anthony_b, Sep 8, 2001.

1. anthony_b

anthony_b Screenwriter

If you are using the digital output on your cd player will it sound only as good as the digital circuit in your reciever ?...Can I make a low end player sound great on my high end receiver ?

2. Mike LS

Mike LS Supporting Actor

My personal opinion is that if you use the digital out on your CD player, it's going to sound about as good as it can sound. I'm sure many may disagree, but I'd say you're in a better spot than having a high-end CD transport and a lower end, budget receiver.

3. Elbert Lee

Elbert Lee Supporting Actor

Anthony - I made a comment on this from your other post.
    I second the reco on getting a cheaper transport if you have or are planning on getting a good preamp or receiver.
    Elbert

4. JohanK

JohanK Second Unit

5. Roger Kaufmann

Roger Kaufmann Stunt Coordinator

ANY system is limited by it's weakest component. It doesn't really matter if the weak link is the CD player, the receiver, the CD itself, speakers, amp etc. If you are using the digital output from your CD player to your receiver then you will be using the DAC from the receiver. As long as the receiver's DAC are superior to the CD player's then your sound should improve using the digital connection.
    ------------------
    R. Kaufmann
    My DVD Profiler Collection

6. anthony_b

anthony_b Screenwriter

How would I know if the DAC on my receiver is better than my CD player ?

7. Keith Mickunas

Keith Mickunas Cinematographer

Test it and see. That's all you can really do as to a certain extent this may be a matter of personal opinion. You could also possibly be able to find out by researching your components and finding out what DACs they use.
    Also there's the other issue of what happens with the analog inputs on your receiver. Many receivers don't have analog pass through, so your analog signals will be converted to digital before going through another set of DACs and then on to the amp. This will definitely be happening if you are using any DSP modes on your receiver. But if you pass the receiver a digital signal, you'll be reducing the number of conversions the sound goes through, which is almost always a good thing.
    List your components, or those that you are considering, and perhaps some people can give you insight into those.

8. Thomas_A

Thomas_A Second Unit