What's new

If you are using 2 amps do they have to "match"? (1 Viewer)

JoelC

Stunt Coordinator
Let me explain. Right now all of my equipment is in boxes as our new house is being completed. I have a Rotel 1066 and JBL Synthesis 5 channel amp. This is going to drive Rocket 750's with their big center channel speaker. I am thinking I want to go for 7.1 sound. I need to add another two channel amp to power the two back center speakers. Do I need to get a JBL Synthesis to match? Or can it be another?

Matt Meyer

Stunt Coordinator
Well I went through the same type of issue and this is what I came up with. I tried to make sure that if I did go with a different brand I was able to demo it so that I didn't pick a amp that was to much different sonically. Also I decided that the wattage rating didn't have to be as much as what you use for the front and center in a primary HT set-up, since the front 3 do most of the heavy work. Now in a multi-channel music set-up with larger speakers all around I would tend to change that opinion and would get the wattage ratings closer. This has worked well for me YMMV though if someone strongly disagrees I love to here it and possibly learn something new.
Matt:)

ChrisJJ

Agent
The don't have to match. Some would say to use the JBL for all the fronts to keep a unified sound field up front. IN that case, but something cheaper in the back since they are not nearly as taxed. You won't notice what amp as long as it is reasonable (used NAD?).

Another alternative is to put a higher quality 2 channel in for your mains. Use the JBL for the center and 4 surrounds. The advantage is better 2 ch. listening for music. I'm not familiar with the JBL amp, so I don't know where you would fall in the diminishing returns curve.

It's an interesting question. I am curious to hear others response and what you end up doing.

Chris

Yogi

Screenwriter
As long as both the amps are resonably close in character I shouldn't matter. Mating a B&K amp (very warm and laidback) with a Yamaha amp (quite bright) could be a problem, but as long as they have the same sonic character it shouldn't be an issue, IMHO.

My 2 cents.

RichardH

Supporting Actor
Another alternative is to put a higher quality 2 channel in for your mains. Use the JBL for the center and 4 surrounds. The advantage is better 2 ch. listening for music. I'm not familiar with the JBL amp, so I don't know where you would fall in the diminishing returns curve.
Yep, that's my recommendation as well.

Andrew Pratt

Senior HTF Member
For movies I doublt you'd ever be able to hear the differences unless that new amp was taxxed to the point that it was clipping. For multi channel music its more likely that you'd hear the differences in amps but only if you were using the same speakers all round and the sonics of the room were such that those subtle differences could be heard. Since you ballence the over all volume to a reference level the different gains for each amp isn't really a factor unless you set the SPL levels for a reference level but never actually listen to it near that volume...though even then the different gains may or may not be an issue. Like the others have said I'm not sure how good that JBL amp is but what I'd suggest is to either buy another 5 channel amp and bi amp your mains (and leave the option of adding passive subs or running a second zone off the 1066) or adding a nice 2 channel amp for the mains.

Chris Purvis

Stunt Coordinator
I do something similar with no problems - h/k receiver powering the center with 3 adcom 2-channel amps running the other 6 speakers (I have a wide room w/ a pair of surround centers). Works great.

Jeff Ery

Stunt Coordinator
Yes, THEY DO....every differant amp will respond diffeantly to differances in input power and therefor will only be able to be "level matched " or "tuned" at ONE specific volume, not to mention the differances in sonic signature or differances in output of power or dynamic range...so while many here will make concessions due to monetary reasons and many will argue that it is not as important as matching speakers, it is a desirable goal and should be worth attaining!

ChrisJJ

Agent
not to mention the differances in sonic signature or differances in output of power or dynamic range
Output of power is covered above. Dynamic range is EXACTLY why you might want to get a bigger amp to power your mains. Especially if you happen to be using your mains as full range and the other speakers have high-pass filters enabled. They will really use the extra power. You may need to pay attention to the "sonic signature" if you do mismatch the mains and the front center, since that should be as unified as possible.

I agree that if you had matched speakers all around and listened to a lot of multichannel music then matched amps would be very wise. If, like me, you listen to music in 2 ch. mode then an upgrade on those 2 channels would be beneficial. If you don't, then a "downgrade" for the rear channels isn't unreasonable.

In a nutshell, you won't go wrong mathching amps. On the other hand, mismatching could (a) save you money in a place you will likely never notice, or (b) let you put additional money where it will get the most benefit.

If you do match amps, put the matching 2 channel amp in to drive the mains. By doing this, you will give the mains a dedicated power supply and free the multichannel to concentrate on the other stuff (primarily front-center).

Chris

David Harris

Stunt Coordinator
quote:

I couldn't agree more...

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks