What's new

If Warners had their own "Franchise Collection" what would you choose? (1 Viewer)

Steve...O

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve
If the good folks at Warner Home Video decided to form their own "franchise collection" line. What titles would you choose? Given the many great series of the 30's and 40's that Warners put out, the choices would be endless. This would be a good way to exploit their deep, rich catalog.....

I'll start by offering up:

The Saint films (most starring George Sanders)
The Falcon films (most starrring Tom Conway)

Any others?

Steve

Al (alweho)

Second Unit
The Mazie films with Ann Southern.

Possibly the rest of the Thin Man movies since the first one is already out.

I like what Universal is doing with their Franchise Series - it is a great way to get less than A-level product out there at a low enough price for collectors.

Patrick McCart

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick McCart
Well, Warner has done a couple of original/remake double features (Mystery of the Wax Museum/House of Wax, Dr. Jekyll & Mr. Hyde 1931/1941, Gaslight 1940/1944)... they have MGM Tarzans set coming... the 7-disc Hitchcock set, the Cary Grant set... the Marx Bros. set (Universal needs to do one for their 5 Paramounts)... the upcoming That's Entertainment! trilogy set, etc

I would like to see new remastered DVD sets that mimic the laserdisc sets of The Dawn of Sound, Vitaphone Shorts, etc...

Joe Karlosi

Senior HTF Member
I'd like to see WB issue the later BOWERY BOYS comedies from 1946-1956, much like what Universal is now doing with Abbott & Costello, Ma and Pa Kettle, and Francis the Talking Mule!

Also, Warner seriously needs to dip more into older pre-60s horror product that's not necessarily "A" material. Something along the MGM "Midnite Movies" line. Some Drive-In stuff like ATTACK OF THE 50 FOOT WOMAN and FRANKENSTEIN 1970.

Rob Gardiner

Senior HTF Member
Don't they still own a bunch more HAMMER HORROR pictures? Anything with Cushing and/or Lee would be fine with me.

BTW I think "Franchise Collection" is a horrible name for a line of DVDs. It sounds like a fast food restaurant! :eek:

Conrad_SSS

Second Unit

Amen to that! You know some marketing MBA who knows nothing about movies and previously worked for WENDY'S before coming to Universal came up with the concept....:wink:

Steve...O

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve
Another vote for the Bowery Boys (as well as the earlier Dead End Kids series).

Being a series mystery buff, I'll throw in the following (all of which I've discovered while watching TCM):

The Brass Bancroft series
The Torchy Blane series
The Hildegarde Withers series
The Perry Mason series (Warren William, not Raymond Burr)

Warners has so much gold in them thar vaults that it will take years and years for them to mine it all.

Steve

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks