If u have 27" tv, what features are worthwhile?

Discussion in 'Playback Devices' started by Michael_Cho, Sep 3, 2004.

1. Michael_Cho

Michael_Cho Extra

Am putting together my first 5.1 system and am building it around a 27" flat screen (not flat panel) sony wega. Given the screen is somewhat small and its not widescreen/hd ready, (and assuming my tv isn't upgraded in the near future) what features should I make sure a dvd player has? i.e.

progressive scan, component video, etc? am stretching the budget on the audio, but given that I think the tv will be the limiting factor, don't want to spend on features I won't be taking advantage of on the video side.

thanks

2. Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Wayne
    Are you asking about what features to look for in a new TV or DVD player? It’s not clear.

3. Jimi C

Jimi C Screenwriter

I dont think its possible to find a dvd player without these features anymore, however progressive scan will do nothing for your standard def tv.

4. Michael_Cho

Michael_Cho Extra

sorry, to clarify, this is for the dvd player. I basically want to minimize purchasing any features that would not be taken advantage of given my current tv (i.e. DVI output, etc.)

thanks

5. Jason GT

Jason GT Second Unit

Pretty much every player out there these days is progressive.

As noted, you won't be able to take advantage of progressive-I'd just make sure that I get a decent (reputable) brand with a decent remote and all the connections that I need.

In case you're more "into" it, check out the DVD player shootouts at hometheaterhifi.com - a lot of this is higher-end equipment but can give you a very comprehensive overview.

Stuff that might be of interest, anyways -
    - I wouldn't worry too much about "minor" PQ differences - they'll be harder if not impossible to see on a smaller TV set.
    - One thing that sometimes is overlooked is the layer change time. Some people find this very annoying - others don't notice at all.

6. Andre Bijelic

Andre Bijelic Stunt Coordinator

One of the most important - but overlooked - factors when purchasing a DVD player for a 4:3 set is how well it downconverts 16X9 discs for a standard display.

Sony and Pioneer players are both excellent in this regard.

7. Michael_Cho

Michael_Cho Extra

thanks andre. the only question I have is...sony has a pretty broad dvd player offering. can I feel fairly safe with any current product they have out? or is there some objective way looking at specs that one can tell how well video is downconverted for standard dimensions. thx. ultimately, sounds like any $100ish dvd player is fine enough for my needs.

mike