If TV has DCDi, player doesn't need it?

Discussion in 'Playback Devices' started by AntonS, Apr 27, 2003.

1. AntonS

AntonS Stunt Coordinator

I'm trying to upgrade both TV and DVD player. I'm looking at the Samsung HLM507W for TV, which already has DCDi. Does this mean that there is no benefit from having a DVD player with DVDi? Or am I missing something?

2. DanielSmi

DanielSmi Second Unit

The only benefit of having DCDi in the player instead of the TV would be if you are using component video cables you won't have an extra analog-to-digital-to-analog conversion.

Ex. since progressive scan is done in the digital form if it's done in the player it will go digital (progressive scan is done) -> analog (through component out to the TV and then to you) but if it was in your TV it would go digital (no PS done) -> analog (through component into TV) -> digital (TVmust convert to digital for PS)-> analog then to you.

Every time you do a conversion you lose quality so the less you do the better.

Daniel Smith

3. AntonS

AntonS Stunt Coordinator

Thanks Daniel. I felt that I was missing something.

Btw I live in Largo [​IMG]

4. Bob McElfresh

Bob McElfresh Producer

Note: Samsung is coming out with a new DVD player with the DVDI interface. The cool thing is that the DVD player will de-interlace and up-convert the video to 720 or 1080 all digitally, then send this out via the DVDI interface. Combine this with that Samsung DLP television and you have a totally-digital system from DVD to the DLP chip.

While we are all waiting for this unit to come out to see how it performs, you KNOW the DVD player has to be tested with the Samsung DLP televisions.

Search for HD931 to find discussions about this player.

5. ManW_TheUncool

ManW_TheUncool Producer

ManW
    Not sure if this was mentioned here in HTF, BUT it sounds like Samsung is going to follow the bad design crowd and cripple their upcoming HD931 player w/ a serious flaw for anyone not using its DVI output. Apparently, an insider over in AVSForum claims that the player will bypass the Faroudja chip (!) for the analog component outputs. It's apparently a corner-cutting move to eliminate the need for additional video DACs needed for the FLI2310 chip they are using. Instead, the player will just stick w/ the all-in-one chip it's using for analog output. [​IMG]

Of course, this should not stop anyone from getting that player for a TV that accepts DVI/HDCP.

Also, it's still good to have the Faroudja chip in the TV since that would provide better linedoubling/deinterlacing for other video sources. Also, a DLP TV would benefit further from the scaling/upconversion capabilities of the Faroudja FLI2310 chip, which should be the case for the Samsung DLP TVs, IIRC.

_Man_