if today is anything like yesterday...

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Micah Cohen, Feb 22, 2002.

1. Micah Cohen

Micah Cohen Screenwriter

...I'm going to jump out the window (after throwing my laptop out first)...

Where is my motivation? I've got my coffee, my donut thanks to Sal in Purchasing... Emails to return, ad copy to write, various and assorted little nonsense to take care of... And no motivation to speak of.

It's another summer-like winter day in Baltimore, and I have not one iota of work-motivation.

Where can I buy some motivation? Anyone else feel this way? Why am I so tired. (And it's not what you think, Ron! Get to work!)

[head down on desk for second day in a row]

MC

2. Steve Tannehill

Steve Tannehill Ambassador

Steve Tannehill
    Perhaps it's time to investigate SSRI's?

- Steve

3. Bob McLaughlin

Bob McLaughlin Screenwriter

Bob
    One word: cocaine.

Just kidding, of course. I would suggest making a list of goals of things you want out of life. If none of them have anything to do with your job, that's okay. But ask yourself how your current job is helping you at least position yourself towards achieving one or more of those goals. If you find you are working for no reason, then you'll never be motivated, unless you're strictly working for the money. And if you're only working for the money, be thankful you at least have a job, but give yourself some hope: start looking for a better and more challenging job. Don't waste your talents!

4. Jay H

Jay H Producer

Jay
    As in the words of Arnold in T2:
    "I need a vacation"
    [​IMG]
    Jay

5. Ron-P

Ron-P Producer

Ron

6. Alex-C

Alex-C Screenwriter

I am trying to think outside the box to solve your dilema so bear with me - maybe you should just take a day off, and go out and do something outrageous - outside. Do something you have never done or always wanted to do.

First of all, maybe the exhiliration will carry you through the doldrums...you can enjoy the beautiful weather while you're at it.

I have days like this right now...nice outside, but chained to a desk inside.

good luck.

7. Micah Cohen

Micah Cohen Screenwriter

That's good. A crunchy sock puppet show. So happy that no one on this forum knows from what we're talking about. I'll get Justin right on it.

I don't know... It's not the job itself, it's just the idea of "a job." I just am tired of having to get out of bed and get dressed and go somewhere and do stuff. I mean, hey: I work at Polk Audio! I have speakers! Music! Surround sound demo rooms... I could go play and watch movies all day! I could go out back and put the SPL meter in my car and see how loud I can make it! But I am sooooooo lazy, it seems.

What is this "work" thing? How come I have to do this, and what happens on days when it's warm out when it's supposed to be cold, and when I don't get enough sleep, and when I just am BLAH...? Does anyone else get BLAH?

I'm even tired of surfing the web. I'm like this big ball of BLAH. BLAH BLAH BLAH. Taking up server space at the HTF.

Goals:

1. Buy some more real estate

2. Find a woman who is as attractive and intelligent and resourceful as my mommy; marry her

C. Move out of the city

4. Retire in under a decade

5. Go to the annual Stoneridge Booksale in April and spend a lot of money on more books I don't need

6. Finally get some traction on work projects like the next Polk newspaper and an update of our site's webstore

7. Write a novel

8. Figure out why, when I do Norton VirusScan, I always find this file called "Dwarfs4you.exe" on my computer but I can't figure out where that file is to delete it

9. Produce a new line of bumper stickers

10. Get to Saturday and sleep late, finally put away the laundry that's been hanging to dry or folded in the basket for over a month now, and enjoy the sunny weather

[head down on desk]

MC

8. Micah Cohen

Micah Cohen Screenwriter

9. Kevin P

Kevin P Screenwriter

I'm rarely motivated either. As a result, I tend to spend more time on HTF than doing actual work. Shh...don't tell the boss! [​IMG]

10. Micah Cohen

Micah Cohen Screenwriter

Thanks Kevin! I opened Norton and found "Quarantine" under "view" and deleted the dwarf thing. What the heck, I wasn't even looking at dwarfs online...?

And then I went out back and opened my car windows and played Motley Crue from outside the car (with my car stereo remote controller, one of the more useless and idiotic things invented: a car audio remote control) until I was satisfied that it was loud enough to annoy everyone around me in traffic, was deafening inside the car and made the back panels and trunk vibrate something fierce. I got the head unit volume up to "36" before I figured that was enough. It was pretty effing loud. Polk Audio, man. Killer.

NOW I'll eat my lame brown-bag lunch... Ho hum...

MC

11. Kevin P

Kevin P Screenwriter

12. Micah Cohen

Micah Cohen Screenwriter

Naw. Look at me: pressing REFRESH over and over till someone replies to my lame thread...
    I didn't do the SPL thing. I just turned it up to see how loud it SOUNDED, not how loud it really actually was. I guess I should go do that...
    I can not believe how unmotivated and BLAH I am.
    I should actually go try to find some dwarfs online, I'm so BLAH.
    Does anyone else have bosses who constantly second guess them? Bosses that treat them like 5-yr olds? I mean, I have over 10 yrs of experience doing what I do, but I can't really take control or anything because I have people "above" me who want to do it their way, or who, if it's not their idea they don't want any part of it, or who feel that they have to micromanage each step of every project -- do focus group testing for each tiny decision -- so that I'm really nothing more than a facilitator and not a professional at all. Is this just me, or does anyone else have bosses like this?
    They succeed in sapping what little enthusiasm and motivation I have to start with.
    It's just one of those days...
    [head down, etc.]
    MC

13. RogerB

RogerB Second Unit

Seriously, like Steve said: SSRI's. Talk to your doctor about depression.

Or take the rest of the day off. Go see a movie.

A funny movie.

14. Tom Johnson

Tom Johnson Stunt Coordinator

There's only one thing you can do Micah. Go immediately to Philip's for a beer and some crabs!

15. RogerB

RogerB Second Unit

So people are bothering you? Can you SEE them? Can your co-workers see them, too? What was in that brown bag lunch?

16. Greg D

Greg D Auditioning

Micah, so go blow off work and go see a movie.

And remember...You're not your job. You're not how much money you have in the bank. You're not the car you drive. You're not the contents of your wallet. You're not your fucking khakis. You're the all-singing, all-dancing crap of the world.

17. Kevin P

Kevin P Screenwriter

Actually, I have two suggestions for raising your spirits, since your depression seems to be work related:
    1. Since you're surfing anyway, go to http://www.dilbert.com - I'm sure you can relate to it!
    2. Rent a copy of Office Space on the way home tonight and watch it, unless you already own a copy, in which case you should watch it! [​IMG]
    KJP

18. Micah Cohen

Micah Cohen Screenwriter

LOL! Listen to how annoyed I am:

Dilbert is a corporate tool! The guy makes corporate textbooks, management-sanctioned! How's that for subversive?! Here's this subversive comic strip, and management coops it into seminar mascots and stuffed animals! They are using Dilbert to keep you in line, to make you THINK you're really making fun of them! But Adams gets each and every strip "okay'ed" by some management team before he publishes! I KNOW IT! I swear -- they have management seminars with Dilbert characters as mascots!

And Philips sucks!

Aw, man... Sorry for that outburst.

The big man just left for the day. Hmmmm. Might be time to cut out... Hmmmm. The day is shaping up! NOT!

MC