What's new

If they WANTED to, COULD they make a back to the future 4? (1 Viewer)

Dale MA

Screenwriter
Real Name
Dale
That interview with Fox has been blown WELL out of proportion, in the original interview he was asked if he would want to star in BTTF 4 & he basically said no.

The Back to the Future trilogy is perfect as it is, leave it alone I say but I would like to see Fox in some more live action movies one day.

Here's the original interview snippet that all of this is being taken from:

Q: Was there ever talk of a fourth film?

A: I think by the time we finished two and three we were all so damn tired and then Bob went on to do Forest Gump and I went on to do some television work and some other things, you know, I started my own show, Spin City. And now the only way it would work would be if I played Doc, I’m 44 years old now and I’m not interested in running around on skateboards! I think after 1,2 and 3 we all kind of felt we had done it. And I think if now they did it again they would do it with a younger cast and just do a different realisation of it, which would be fun and I’m happy to watch it.

Lynda-Marie

Supporting Actor
Thank you for the full snippet, Dale. What I read on IMDB [a font of such accurate reporting!] made it sound like a done deal.
MJF has more or less retired because the Parkinson's has really taken the wind out of his sails. And I don't think BTTF 4 would work, because the comedic chemistry between MJF and Christopher Lloyd was a large part of what really made those movies work.

Inspector Hammer!

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Williamson
I realize that it's very easy, considering our love of this trilogy, to say "give us another", but in my point of view that is precisely why I don't want another one...because I love the trilogy and don't want to see it run into the ground.

The Delorian was destroyed, the flux capacitor no longer...fluxes and the moral of the trilogy has been revealed "The future is whatever you make it, so make it a good one..."

It's over, folks.

David Rogers

Supporting Actor
"You're telling me you made a time machine, out of a Terminator?"

That idea almost sounds cool enough to work.

Jerry R Colvin

Stunt Coordinator
I'd be happy just to be able to buy the first movie in the series without having to also buy the other two, which I didn't like...

Shawn_KE

Screenwriter
The Delorian was destroyed, the flux capacitor no longer...fluxes and the moral of the trilogy has been revealed "The future is whatever you make it, so make it a good one..."
Well Doc still have the train time machine ;)
But I agree, it's over. I don't see what they could do without rehashing the story from the 3 films.

DavidPla

Senior HTF Member
Actually my biggest fear, with "Back to the Future" being my favourite film, is in a couple of years some moron at a studio will want to remake it for a new generation! I would rather see a "Back to the Future: Part IV" over that ANY TIME!

Jay_B!

Screenwriter
Actually my biggest fear, with "Back to the Future" being my favourite film, is in a couple of years some moron at a studio will want to remake it for a new generation! I would rather see a "Back to the Future: Part IV" over that ANY TIME!
I agree. Do we really want to see Chad Michael Murray or Adam Brody travelling to the age of disco to rescue his fate? I don't think so...

Inspector Hammer!

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Williamson
Actually, as long as we're having fun kicking around ideas, I wouldn't mind one more film, and in this one Marty and the Doc have to travel back in time to prevent the birth of one of our times greatest and most tyrannical public figures...
Britney Spears.
"It's the bitch, Marty, something's gotta be done about the bitch!"
THAT I would pay to see. :D

Pete-D

Screenwriter
Better yet why not combined Rocky VI and Back to the Future 4, so that Rocky V never happens thanks to Marty and Doc ...

Ben Osborne

Second Unit
The movie hasn't even come out yet, but Rocky VI already has a tremendous influence in that proves that it's not impossible to make another sequel to a concluded franchise.

I'm reminded of this dialog from the Simpsons:

It's been well-established in this thread that a sequel to BTTF could be made. I don't think there's any more need to bring up ill-concieved sequels to prove that.

KevinGress

Supporting Actor
I don't know....if in the right hands it could be just as good, but I agree, the odds are against it.

But, the odds would be against a part IV, as well. Moreso than a remake. A remake has more leeway than a sequel to a beloved triology.

Add to that, Tom Wilson (aka "Biff"), being a stand-up comedian now, sings a song about a lot of the questions he gets, mostly about BTTF, and one line is:

"Back To The Future 4? Uh, ain't happenin'!"

Cees Alons

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cees Alons
As several posters have said already: a "sequel" without Fox and Lloyd couldn't be considered real sequels and rather be named different as well. At least to me. (Crispin Glover cannot be the problem: they can always use some old footage of him! :) )
So, yes, they "can" make a movie named BTTF IV, and no, I wouldn't consider it as such.
And the question of whether or not we will like such a film is an entirely different one....
Cees

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks