What's new

If the rumors are true, iPhone 5 looks like a DUD! (1 Viewer)

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
Not even just a rumor, speculation caused by fanboy desire and too much time on one's hands. As far as Gruber giving it credence sometimes I think he purposefully misdirects things (remember Bluray iMacs launching soon!) or simply has bad intel just like everyone else.
Know who hasn't given it any play? Jim Dalrymple. If Jim says its coming you can take it to the bank. He hasn't said either way afaik so far, so take that for whatever it's worth.
As far as other rumors, there is this:
http://www.appleinsider.com/articles/12/05/07/apple_says_lack_of_multi_user_support_on_ipad_is_a_known_issue_being_investigated.html
I am skeptical but would be very happy if true for all iOS devices.
I'm personally sharing my phone with family members all the time, I'm not a private person but even I feel sometimes I wish I could give them a private account when I hand it off to em. My dumbass buddies sometimes send rude texts and I'd hate for those to hit when my nephews are on the pad for example....
Cold water:
http://www.loopinsight.com/2012/05/08/its-a-form-letter/

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
mattCR said:
MSNBC and others have also run with this.. though there is some reasoning to it.  Apple paid significantly for the exclusive rights to LiquidMetal.  They have used it in limited amounts already.   So, there has always been a thought it would be put to broader use at some point.
Is this the same LiquidMetal that was going to revolutionize the golf club industry about a decade ago? It looks like they finally found a way to make some money off the idea. They certainly didn't make any in the golf industry.

KeithAP

Screenwriter
Real Name
Keith
I think changing the aspect ratio is more problematic that just making a bigger screen with the same number of pixels. Apple has no problem rewriting their own marketing material so if the display of the new iPhone drops the DPI to to around 288 as opposed to the current 326 they will just spin the marketing copy as needed.

I have no idea if the screen will get bigger in the next iPhone. It is fun to talk about though isn't it?

-Keith

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Originally Posted by Keith Plucker /t/319622/if-the-rumors-are-true-iphone-5-looks-like-a-dud/60#post_3924098
I think changing the aspect ratio is more problematic that just making a bigger screen with the same number of pixels. Apple has no problem rewriting their own marketing material so if the display of the new iPhone drops the DPI to to around 288 as opposed to the current 326 they will just spin the marketing copy as needed.
Apple's selling a $500 device with a 2048 x 1536 screen. If they want a 25% larger iPhone, I predict they can make it with 1200 x 800 pixels, rather than making it lower density, and not have to retcon marketing.

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
Originally Posted by DaveF /t/319622/if-the-rumors-are-true-iphone-5-looks-like-a-dud/60#post_3924103
Apple's selling a $500 device with a 2048 x 1536 screen. If they want a 25% larger iPhone, I predict they can make it with 1200 x 800 pixels, rather than making it lower density, and not have to retcon marketing.

You know, though.. for all this high resolution on the new iPad (which I have and love) I haven't figured out outside of text what actually uses it. Video doesn't, their 1080P is suedo 1080P. It's not RDP or any RDP or Network Management app I've found; Splashtop and RDP clients still click to 1024x768 or similar.

I love the way it looks in text, I'm just trying to find something else that really makes use of the resolution available.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Instapaper does, according to its developer. (I don't use the app, but I enjoy Marco's blog and podcast) What about games? Infinity Blade II?

But on the iPhone: it's already "Retina", and apps support the double res. If it gets a larger screen, I see that as a "bigger screen" thing than a "higher res" thing. More cells in Numbers sheet. Easier to use iMovie.

I will be very surprised if Apple goes fat-pixels to get a 4" iPhone screen. And I'm still skeptical about a 4" iPhone regardless of design :)

So, I'd say 50% chance of bigger iPhone. But 100% chance of more pixels if screen size increases.

I'd say we're a few years off from a Retina^2 Display, with 1920 x 1280 3.5" screen. ;)

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
WSJ isnot infallible but they seem very confident on bigger screens, sounds like a controlled leak:
http://online.wsj.com/article_email/SB10001424052702303360504577407610487811698-lMyQjAxMTAyMDEwNjExNDYyWj.html
If true will be interesting to see how Apple spins the pain to devs redoing apps...

Steve_Tk

Senior HTF Member
Good news. Keeping aspect ratio the same. That news about just making the phone longer was ridiculous. I'd prefer they got rid of the giant home button that breaks and the speaker area up top and make the screen edge to edge.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Sam Posten said:
..., this seems to me to be the most likely path they'll take to get there.
Apple has been on a relentless push to increase pixel density on all its devices. First the iPhone, then the iPad, and next -- per rumors -- the MacBook Air or Pro line. It seems very unlikely Apple will next decrease the pixel density of its next phone. I think this is actually the least likely "bigger phone" solution for Apple.

Regarding the skinny-jeans iPhone:
12782478_iphone_tallboy_imore_concept-620x229.jpeg

iphone_tallboy_imore_concept-620x229.jpg
That's a really ugly phone. Apple's not going to make such a visual obscenity.

If Apple makes a larger screen iPhone, I think the simplest, most effective and likely product is something that is "simply" 25% larger. It becomes a 4.37" phone with a 1200x800 screen, the same density of the current iPhones. Manufacturing uses the current screen system, but cut larger; rather than building yet another screen density. To support this, iOS6 would support a larger-format design. New apps would have a larger area to work with -- bigger pages in books, more space for games. Apple could be cheeky and display old apps in the center 960x640, pixel-perfect without any scaling artifacts. They'd look and work just like on previous phone, but would be a clear indicator the developer hasn't updated yet.

Why 25%? It's a good number and leads to a new phone size that's comparable to the the 4" phones out there. It could be more or less. I think 10% is too little and 50% is too much. And I Apple will not change the aspect ratio, nor will they drop pixel density.

If they make a bigger phone :)

Steve_Tk

Senior HTF Member
IF they make a bigger phone, it has to be both width and height with higher resolution to benefit from the larger screen and same aspect ratio. Therefore Safari, books, etc etc will benefit from larger resolution. Just making a larger screen with same resolution loses the retina qualifications and only makes buttons bigger. Adding screen size to the top only gives you a few more names on the contacts list, lets you see another email. I think that's an awful idea because it also messes around wtih the ratio, and it's ugly as hell.
If you go bigger, keep aspect ratio the same, increase the resolution overall. The apps will adapt fast, they did it with the iphone 3GS to the iphone 4. If they don't go this route then they shouldn't change it at all.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
In stark contrast to everything I think, the most substantive rumors support the notion of the increased-height notion.
http://daringfireball.net/2012/05/bigger_display_iphone_thing_wwdc

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
Sam Posten said:
Let's make it interesting, if apple releases a bigger screened iPhone or a smaller iPad in calendar year 2012 I buy you a new release Blu of your choice up to $30, if not you get me one. You win if either happens. I win if neither does. Deal? The rumors are on your side, right?
Evidence mounting that Sam is wrong ;)
http://9to5mac.com/2012/05/29/photos-black-and-white-next-generation-metal-iphone-backs-mini-dock-taller-screen-moved-earphone-jack-present/
Again, _rumors_, but it's hard to doubt that Apple have been at least experimenting with this form factor, tho that isn't a lock for this being the final design.

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
Developer survey says Sam is nuts, moving to new screen sizes won't be an issue:
http://www.appleinsider.com/articles/12/06/18/developers_at_wwdc_not_worried_about_iphone_ipad_screen_size_changes.html
I remain skeptical.

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
More partner leaks with speculation for good measure:
http://online.wsj.com/article_email/SB10001424052702303754904577532121136436182-lMyQjAxMTAyMDEwNzExNDcyWj.html

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
Not very concerned about thinner.. but I would love to see them ditch the glass on the back. I've had more people bust phones/the rear glass.. just go back to having it metal.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks