What's new

If the rumors are true, iPhone 5 looks like a DUD! (1 Viewer)

dmiller68

Supporting Actor
Real Name
David Miller
Windows mobile looks good on a 5" screen at 800 x 480. So I don't think you need to go to 1200 x 800 too look good on a 4" screen. However, you all seem the experts so I will leave it at that.

Originally Posted by DaveF /t/319622/if-the-rumors-are-true-iphone-5-looks-like-a-dud/30#post_3915577
Bigger pixels is a bad solution. Apple won't do it (my prediction).

The article is reasonable. But my opinion is that if Apple releases a larger phone it will be a 4.375" screen with 1200 x 800. Same pixel pitch, same screen aspect ratio, but 25% larger on each side.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
It's not whether 4" 960 x 640 screen would look good, it's whether Apple would ship such a screen given their emphasis on "Retina Display" and >300 ppi on the iPhone. I don't see Apple going backwards on resolution.

We'll know for real this Fall (another prediction ;)

Steve_Tk

Senior HTF Member
They can make a 4" Iphone without increasing the size of the phone all that much. There is a lot of empty space on the top and bottom of the screen. The home button could be moved to the sides of the phone. You could keep the aspect ratio of the phone the exact same (for ease of developement), use the space on top and below that's already there, and only have to make the phone a little wider to give you a bigger screen.
I would love that.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Exactly, Steve.

I don't think anyone is looking for a bigger iPhone.

Just a bigger iPhone screen that extends into the
empty spaces of the phone.

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
Originally Posted by Ronald Epstein /t/319622/if-the-rumors-are-true-iphone-5-looks-like-a-dud/30#post_3916238
Exactly, Steve.

I don't think anyone is looking for a bigger iPhone.

Just a bigger iPhone screen that extends into the
empty spaces of the phone.
I don't know, I would definitely take a bigger iPhone. Having played with all, I really prefer the 4.7" format. I don't know how or if Apple ever considers it, but that to me is about perfect sized. It has enough heft, feels good in my hand.. but I grasp that a lot of people like it. I have zip problems with my 4S (except battery sucks, so I finally just ordered a protective case with extended battery life). But that extended case/battery really gives it the right heft (IMHO). So no problem with that either.

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
Originally Posted by Sam Posten /t/319622/if-the-rumors-are-true-iphone-5-looks-like-a-dud/30#post_3918105
Another terrible source. Korea News, really?
http://www.wired.com/gadgetlab/2012/04/liquid-metal-next-iphone/

MSNBC and others have also run with this.. though there is some reasoning to it. Apple paid significantly for the exclusive rights to LiquidMetal. They have used it in limited amounts already. So, there has always been a thought it would be put to broader use at some point.

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
Originally Posted by mattCR /t/319622/if-the-rumors-are-true-iphone-5-looks-like-a-dud/30#post_3918107

MSNBC and others have also run with this.. though there is some reasoning to it. Apple paid significantly for the exclusive rights to LiquidMetal. They have used it in limited amounts already. So, there has always been a thought it would be put to broader use at some point.

*shrug* it depends on how you look at it. The Korean IT News is actually been (in the past) a pretty reliable indicator on factory ordering processes. It keeps a good tab on which factories are ordering what, and it was one of the first to really expose the issue with faulty capacitor construction a few years ago.

It has always focused on the production and shipments that go through Korean factories.. now here's the leap to confusion.. Apple is most likely ordering more and more liquidmetal output; because it already uses quite a bit of it in the innards of the iPad3, and as we've discovered they changed the iPad2 while no one was looking (with a changed CPU and a reconfigured board setup see: http://www.anandtech.com/show/5742/apples-ipad-24-also-uses-32nm-a5-s5l8942-soc ).

So, whether or not LiquidMetal will be the makeup of the iPhone5, Apple will continue to use more and more of it.. and since they have an exclusive property right with it, you'd think it would be a way to make use of something they own.

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
I've been following the liquidmetal saga for a while, it's kind of neat. I'm just saying that Korea News isn't like Nikkei as far as a quotable source in my experience. I'll take em over pirates any day tho!
More on LM from a while back when Apple bought out their patent portfolio:
http://techcrunch.com/2010/08/09/apple-buys-out-liquidmetal-patents-to-stay-one-step-ahead-in-materials-game/
http://techcrunch.com/2010/08/13/what-did-apple-buy-when-it-bought-liquidmetal-if-you-like-watches-youve-already-seen-it/
Why did Apple purchase exclusive rights to this seemingly wondrous metal technology? Reading about its properties and uses, it's clear that Jobs and company think they have found a Philosopher's stone. According to LiquidMetal technologies, their alloys join the strength and anti-corrosive nature of metals like titanium and stainless steel, with the benefits of plastics and composites, such as extreme flexibility and easy casting:
• 2.5 times the strength of commonly used titanium alloy with less weight
• 1.5 times the hardness of stainless steel with less weight
• 2-3 times more resistant to permanent deformation than conventional metals
• Non-corrosive
• Stain and rust proof
• Allows thinner walls in casings, with greater strength
• Allows for large surfaces maintaining thin skins without deformation
• Scratch resistant
• High thermal and electrical conductivity
The key here is Apple has been working with the stuff for 3+ years and NOBODY else will have access to it. LM is an inevitability not a possibility. Will it be in iPhone 5 tho? hard to say but I hope so!

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
I think the thing is the iPhone is the most logical target. Because it's a smaller surface area in a market segment with a higher turnover, it's more likely to grab onto something like a LiquidMetal sheen instead of trying the idea on an iPad first.

Michael_K_Sr

Screenwriter
Real Name
MichaelK
Apple's first Liquidmetal product...
8d3a1a44_Liquidmetal_SIM_pin_2-400x265.jpeg

Looks sexy... :P

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
http://www.wired.com/gadgetlab/2012/04/liquid-metal-next-iphone/

It would make the outer surface of the phone “smooth like liquid,” according to the report.
Because what people have been clamoring for is a slippier, easier to drop iPhone.

Steve_Tk

Senior HTF Member
I wish they would design a phone that does scratch and doesn't break when dropped. That way we are not forced to get cases. Screen protectors are fine. Anyone used one of those glass protectors?

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
I've got a consistent habit of: iPhone in left pocket, keys in right pocket. That's kept me safe from scratching so far. I used screen protectors with my Palm PDAs,and have been more than glad to not have them with the change to the iPhone.

But others should chime in with suggestions; I think some here use them.

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
The rumor that won't die, I don't buy it but I'd be first in line:
http://www.cultofmac.com/164945/forget-att-well-tell-you-why-apple-may-be-your-next-iphone-carrier-on-the-cultcast/

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
I would have an insanely hard time believing it. The regulatory oversight Apple would face if it got into that arena would make IP fights look like nothing. And every vendor in the world would spin on them like a dime.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
I'm going to start a rumor that Apple's going to get into the ISP business too, so they can make money off of our WiFi use of our iOS devices! Huge profit maker!

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
mattCR said:
I would have an insanely hard time believing it.   The regulatory oversight Apple would face if it got into that arena would make IP fights look like nothing.   And every vendor in the world would spin on them like a dime.
Dunno. The problem is actually twofold: First there has never been a "successful" nationwide MVNO ever. ESPN tried and couldn't pull it off, right? Second is the problem you highlight, building the cake and selling it too. =) But the first is as big a problem than the second.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mobile_virtual_network_operator
The question then becomes who would they license the spectrum from to have enough to cover the US without going to AT&T and/or Vz precluding any such lawsuits from them, leaving only the Feds and small fish to worry about. Google?
You have a lot more industry insight than me, I could be completely talking out of my ass here, but this is the situation as it has been explained to me by people who have worked in it.

Steve_Tk

Senior HTF Member
Anyone seen these rumors of them not enlarging the screen, just making it longer? Meaning the width would be the same, but the length would be changed, therefore changing the aspect ratio. AND, the models show that they home screen button and the speaker are still the same size. Looks fuggly. might of been linked in this post, but HTF works like garbage at work on Vista so didn't go back to look. Again, these are just rumors.

Users who are viewing this thread