What's new

If "The Passion" is causing controversy, what about "Luther"? (1 Viewer)

David Baranyi

Stunt Coordinator
I am fully aware by reading newspaper articles and the long-running thread on the controversy regarding "The Passion" and director Mel Gibson's role in the film, but what about another film about religion--Luther?

Dan Rudolph

Senior HTF Member
Luther focuses on an area where history is far more clearly established, so there's a lot less arguing about the facts to do. Also, it's only getting a limited release and isn't backed by an a-list celebrity.

Plus it's apparently rather uncontrversial in its content as the Catholic Church is actually sponsoring it. Of course, that doesn't stop some bozo on the IMDB message boards from declaring the movie anti-Catholic.

TheLongshot

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
Actually, Jeffery Wells wonders why "The Gospel Of John", which I think he saw at Toronto, isn't getting the business like Mel's film. Probably because it isn't a high profile film.

I actually hadn't heard of "Luther" until I saw an ad the other night...

Jason

Brook K

Senior HTF Member
There was an article on The Gospel of John in the Atlanta newspaper on Sunday. It's an independent Canadian production that cost $20M CN. IIRC, it is on an epic scale with 75 principle's and 2,000 extras, a 3 hour running time, and the script is directly from the Bible. Opens in Atlanta on Nov. 7th.

The article also said that the company that is making the movie is going to try and make a movie per year based on a different book of the Bible. Again IIRC, the plan is to do 1st and 2nd Samuel next, and then tackle Acts.

TheLongshot

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
The article also said that the company that is making the movie is going to try and make a movie per year based on a different book of the Bible. Again IIRC, the plan is to do 1st and 2nd Samuel next, and then tackle Acts.
Hmm... That might actually be of interest to my other half, if they are accurate to the books. Studying the Bible is one of her hobbies. :D

Jason

Brent Bridgeman

Second Unit
Real Name
Brent Bridgeman
Plus it's apparently rather uncontrversial in its content as the Catholic Church is actually sponsoring it.
Are you sure about this? Considering the subject, it's hard to believe it isn't even mildly critical of the Catholic church. Not saying I don't believe you, just find it a bit strange that they would sponsor the film in any way.

Unless, of course, the movie ends with Luther burning in hell. That's just a joke people, just...a...joke!:D

Larry Sutliff

Senior HTF Member
Is the film historically accurate? Does it show Luther's virulent anti-semitism(he advocated burning down synagogues) or the way he had dissenters on his side of the fence executed(he was very creative in the way he had Anabaptists executed)? I'm not asking these questions to start a flame war, only because most films and books about Luther seem to gloss over these very unpleasant facts about his life.

Dan Rudolph

Senior HTF Member
My info about the Catholic church comes from a poster on the IMDB message boards, who said they were sponsoring a screening in Germany. Take with a grain of salt, but seems plausible to me as Catholics have tried to dissociate themselves from a lot of what the church did in that era and tried to act like they aren't still sore about protestantism of late.

David Baranyi

Stunt Coordinator
Martin Luther's anti-Semitism is typical of most Europeans of the time period. It would be a great surprise that the Catholic Church would approve "Luther," knowing that this Augustine monk was responsible for changing Western Christianity forever.

Matthew Todd

Second Unit
Has anyone out there seen this? I just got back from seeing it locally, and thought it was very well done, although I really don't know how accurate the story is (where are the creative liberties taken).

Has anyone else seen this who knows? For me, this was one of those films that makes me want to go out and find a good book on the subject to learn more.

Matt

Chris Atkins

Senior HTF Member
Has anyone else seen this who knows? For me, this was one of those films that makes me want to go out and find a good book on the subject to learn more.
HERE I STAND: A LIFE OF MARTIN LUTHER, by Roland Bainton, is excellent. I read it about three months ago.

Mike Broadman

Senior HTF Member
Is the film historically accurate? Does it show Luther's virulent anti-semitism(he advocated burning down synagogues) or the way he had dissenters on his side of the fence executed(he was very creative in the way he had Anabaptists executed)?
I haven't seen it, but according to everything I've read, the answer is no. The buzz is that the film is quite bland, shying away from the intense social, political, and spiritual issues behind the Reformation.

It's getting mixed reviews and isn't raking in a lot of money, so no one cares about it. Passion, on the other hand, is very high profile due to Mel's celebrity, its intense violence, and the stink raised by very powerful Jewish lobby groups.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks