If "The Passion" is causing controversy, what about "Luther"?

Discussion in 'Movies' started by David Baranyi, Sep 22, 2003.

1. David Baranyi

David Baranyi Stunt Coordinator

I am fully aware by reading newspaper articles and the long-running thread on the controversy regarding "The Passion" and director Mel Gibson's role in the film, but what about another film about religion--Luther?

2. Dan Rudolph

Dan Rudolph Producer

Luther focuses on an area where history is far more clearly established, so there's a lot less arguing about the facts to do. Also, it's only getting a limited release and isn't backed by an a-list celebrity.

Plus it's apparently rather uncontrversial in its content as the Catholic Church is actually sponsoring it. Of course, that doesn't stop some bozo on the IMDB message boards from declaring the movie anti-Catholic.

3. TheLongshot

TheLongshot Producer

Actually, Jeffery Wells wonders why "The Gospel Of John", which I think he saw at Toronto, isn't getting the business like Mel's film. Probably because it isn't a high profile film.

I actually hadn't heard of "Luther" until I saw an ad the other night...

Jason

4. JustinCleveland

JustinCleveland Cinematographer

Justin Cleveland
    Jason,

I'm with you. When I saw the ads, I was shocked by its subject. That one snuck up on me.

5. Brook K

Brook K Lead Actor

There was an article on The Gospel of John in the Atlanta newspaper on Sunday. It's an independent Canadian production that cost $20M CN. IIRC, it is on an epic scale with 75 principle's and 2,000 extras, a 3 hour running time, and the script is directly from the Bible. Opens in Atlanta on Nov. 7th.

The article also said that the company that is making the movie is going to try and make a movie per year based on a different book of the Bible. Again IIRC, the plan is to do 1st and 2nd Samuel next, and then tackle Acts.

6. TheLongshot

TheLongshot Producer

7. Brent Bridgeman

Brent Bridgeman Second Unit

Brent Bridgeman

8. Larry Sutliff

Larry Sutliff Cinematographer

Is the film historically accurate? Does it show Luther's virulent anti-semitism(he advocated burning down synagogues) or the way he had dissenters on his side of the fence executed(he was very creative in the way he had Anabaptists executed)? I'm not asking these questions to start a flame war, only because most films and books about Luther seem to gloss over these very unpleasant facts about his life.

9. David Forbes

David Forbes Supporting Actor

They're making a movie about Lex Luthor? [​IMG]

10. Dan Rudolph

Dan Rudolph Producer

My info about the Catholic church comes from a poster on the IMDB message boards, who said they were sponsoring a screening in Germany. Take with a grain of salt, but seems plausible to me as Catholics have tried to dissociate themselves from a lot of what the church did in that era and tried to act like they aren't still sore about protestantism of late.

11. David Baranyi

David Baranyi Stunt Coordinator

Martin Luther's anti-Semitism is typical of most Europeans of the time period. It would be a great surprise that the Catholic Church would approve "Luther," knowing that this Augustine monk was responsible for changing Western Christianity forever.

12. Matthew Todd

Matthew Todd Second Unit

Has anyone out there seen this? I just got back from seeing it locally, and thought it was very well done, although I really don't know how accurate the story is (where are the creative liberties taken).

Has anyone else seen this who knows? For me, this was one of those films that makes me want to go out and find a good book on the subject to learn more.

Matt

13. Chris Atkins

Chris Atkins Producer

14. Mike Broadman

Mike Broadman Producer