What's new

If the movie "Contact" had a sequel, what do you think they would do? (1 Viewer)

Kevin M

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Ray
I loathe Sagan's lifelong dedication to scientific materialism
Well that's one way to put it, another would be to say that he was a humanist with faith/hope in scientific truth.
But that's a discussion for another thread, because I will not hijack this topic.
The idea of fading out at the moment of "Contact" sounds a bit too pretentious to me. The ending as it is now is kind of "Zemeckis" but then again Sagan read the script and OKed it so it seemed to him to be in the spirit of what his concept was, at least what I got from the novel was that science & religion need not be at odds with each other ( in the book they are VERY close indeed, albeit they don't realize it) and that believing in something (with intelligence, not fanaticism), be it religion, science or whatever, is better than believing in nothing at all.
A sequel to Contact would be as pointless as a sequel to Memento in my opinion.

Kevin M

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Ray
...I'm sorry Kwang, but I don't get it. Then again I'm pretty dense most of the time.

David Rogers

Supporting Actor
Does not need a sequel, shouldn't have one. The story was great, the impact wonderful. A sequel cheapens everything about it, including the message.

Eric Fisher

Stunt Coordinator
The big question is...
what would the aliens have thought had the dummy "Elmer" arrived at their meeting place?
"The earthlings must be idiots" :D

Mark Loves Movies

Auditioning
Real Name
Mark
I would love to see a sequel. It starts with a government employee finding the secret report with 18 hours of static. He releases it on Wikileaks. They discover why the recorder didn’t work and they fix that problem. They send a lot of other people who confirm that Ellie was telling the truth.

The proof of life on other planets starts people asking if religion is real. More and more start to think like Ellie.

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
I would love to see a sequel. It starts with a government employee finding the secret report with 18 hours of static. He releases it on Wikileaks. They discover why the recorder didn’t work and they fix that problem. They send a lot of other people who confirm that Ellie was telling the truth.

The proof of life on other planets starts people asking if religion is real. More and more start to think like Ellie.

Why would proof of life on other planets cause people to debate the reality of religion or a belief in God? There is nothing to say that any Aliens that we meet may not have their own God or creation construct.

Radioman970

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
James Perry
Religion on earth is pretty specific to earth and human beings. Remember, heaven is above and hell is below. Imagine their methods of thinking being way way different from ours.

Blackbagz

Auditioning
Real Name
Col Blackbagz
Watching this in 2019. I'm not a scientist or religious but this movie meant a lot to me not just because I love jodie.. It was thought provoking and showed us just how paranoid, insecure and controlling we as a human race are. Still so and in some ways even worse today. But it did ask questions we all still want to know. Deep down we still want to know if we are alone or if there really is life out there.

The beauty of this film is that it allows you to make up your own mind and not be spoon fed by media propaganda and disinformation, but for you to go find out yourself..you have your own minds with your own thoughts. You are entitled to your own opinions.

I for one wish a sequel comes. Doesn't have to be jodie but would be just as good either way.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks