If the media is non-profit, would it improve news coverage?

Discussion in 'After Hours Lounge (Off Topic)' started by Francis Collins, Dec 12, 2003.

1. Francis Collins

This "new" member is now banned from the forum, because he/she used an alias, but had already been removed from here before.

2. Paul_Medenwaldt

Paul_Medenwaldt Supporting Actor

Which would mean then in some way the government sticking their nose in news gathering. No thank you.

I have no problem with the way news is reported. There are so many different ways of getting news it is maddening. Turn on cable and there are 4 or more newtorks of 24 hours of news, 2 channels of financial reporting, 2 C-Spans and countless resources on the internet. If capitalism didn't drive news, we would still be stuck with 5, 6 and 10pm newscasts.

I enjoy the many outlets to get information, and with so many different points of view, it keeps the industry somewhat honest, not totally honest, but honest.

Paul

3. Joseph DeMartino

Joseph DeMartino Lead Actor

Joseph DeMartino
    On the bias question: Nonsense. PBS and NPR are two of the most outrageously biased news outlets in America and both are non-profits, funded in part by taxpayers. Nor does the assumption that the profit motive feeds bias explain the opposite biases many people see, for instance, by The Washington Post and The Washington Times, or CNN and Fox. (I'm talking about in the news coverage, not in what are clearly opinion or editorial pieces and shows.)

On the sensationalism question: It isn't the profit motive that is the problem, at least not directly. It is ratings, which control profits. And the problem there isn't the news outlets, it is us. If we didn't tune in in record numbers for car chases, and "All Michael Jackson, All the Time" coverage, the news channels wouldn't offer that coverage. If a non-profit news outfit ignored those same stories people likely wouldn't watch it - which would cause problems come pledge week for the channels that carried them. So non-profits are not immune (however much they might claim) to market pressures.

All in all I think we're in much better shape with a half-dozen 24 hour cable news channels of various stripes, on-line access to newspapers from around the country and the world and opinion blogs and independent "researchers" we can weigh against one another.

I don't watch all the Jackson/Kobe/Scott Peterson coverage and I manage to get all the information I need both from the channels that do cover those things and from other outlets that don't.

Regards,

Joe

4. Shawn C

Shawn C Screenwriter

I can't stand how EVERYTHING is BREAKING NEWS these days.

BREAKING NEWS: There is an accident report at the intersection of blah blah blah...

BREAKING NEWS: Rain in the forecast!

BREAKING NEWS: Michael Jackson in car!

5. MikeSerrano

MikeSerrano Second Unit

No news is good news.

(Sorry, couldn't resist.)

-Mike

6. wally

wally Second Unit

7. Seth--L

Seth--L Screenwriter

Bias or not, viewers/listeners of NPR and PBS news programs are far and away the most informed Americans when it comes to the actually facts of news stories.

The problem with for-profit TV news is that there are commercials every 4 minutes. No level of depth is able to be achieved and everything is reduced to a sound bite in order to squeeze as many headline as possible between commercials. NPR on the other hand is takes as long as needed to properly give a news report without interruption. For this reason newspapers are also typically superior to TV news, but aren't as dynamic as something like NPR's "All Things Considered."

8. Joseph DeMartino

Joseph DeMartino Lead Actor

Joseph DeMartino

9. CharlesD

CharlesD Screenwriter

Joeseph DeMartino, your posts about what you perceive to be "bias" in the most respected media outlets in the US are mere political opinion and frankly I am surprised they are allowed on HTF which, as I would have thought you would know, has a policy against political discussion.

Here is an interesting study on primary news source vs. basic knowledge about the situation in Iraq. Because of HTF policy I won't even mention the basic conclusions, but it is an interesting read.

10. Joseph S

Joseph S Cinematographer

It's funny that people actually get their news from the same "experts" that grew out of the OJ saga. Do those that watch these stations still believe what they preach? Do you really believe they have fact based stances on any issue of substance? They're too busy self promoting, they have no time to read up on or participate in the "news" that they claim to be experts on. Instead you get a bunch of fluff with zero substance. Yeah, you may have 4 24 hr stations, but they're all covering the same worthless stories for month plus blocks.

I've pretty much given up on radio and tv news, you have the same folks preaching "rules are rules/laws are laws" and then the next hour complaining that a boy scout/choir boy/church going scholar got suspended for bringing an axe to school.

11. Glenn Overholt

Glenn Overholt Producer

Seth, your '4 minute' rule for commercials is all too correct, but it is funny how they will skip commercials completely when real news comes up (like 9/11). They have no commercials for hours or even days.

I can see their accountants screeming bloody murder - "Will someone please put a commercial on?"

As for the news being biased - I think it all is, and as stated above, we will accept what we want to believe, but again (like said before) all of the news stations play the same crap over and over. I feel like they all call somebody up every morning and ask, "Ok, what will we put on the news today?"

I am really tired of the candidates and their news for an election coming up in another 11 months! If I could get a station to do any one thing it would be to start the political coverage next September. Ok, maybe June, but that's my final offer. [​IMG]

Glenn

12. Don Black

Don Black Screenwriter

The media is full of politics regardless of whether it's for profit or a 501c3. There are always financial undercurrents concerning ownership caps, M/A activity, PSAs, and generaly lobbying. The head of Fox News stumps endlessly for the RNC/Bush. Ted Turner is a big liberal. The BBC and Blair administration are continuously at odds (again with a great deal of influence being exerted by Murdoch/Fox). I don't think you can ever separate the two.

What I don't like to see is one-sided political bias. I'm fine that Fox and CNN go up against each other: conservative vs. liberal. I think it was wrong for Bush to exclude CNN from his jaunt to Iraq though and give an exclusive to Fox. Of course this kind of stuff goes on all of the time in deciding who gets what interview.

I still think it's wrong though regardless of one's political position.

13. John Watson

John Watson Screenwriter

"I read the news today, oh boy
    the English (American, Chinese) army had just won the war..."

"Off with their Talking Heads!"

McLuhan was the best media prophet

14. Cees Alons

Cees Alons Moderator

Cees Alons
    The moderatoring staff is closely monitoring this thread. Please make sure it won't wander into the political realm.
    Thanks.

The original poster is removed from the forum, for the reasons given inside the first post.