*If* "Special Editons" are cause for delay, are you willing to wait a long time?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Allan Mack, Oct 28, 2001.

1. Allan Mack

Allan Mack Supporting Actor

I could be wrong, but I have a feeling that many movies are not being released on DVD yet because it takes a long time to do the commentaries, special features, etc. In some cases, we have to wait years before a movie is released (example, Disney's "Bambi" won't be released until 2006).
    Now, I like commentaries and special features just like anyone else, but if it means waiting years for a movie to be released, I would actually be willing to forgo these extras in favor of getting an earlier release. In other words, just give me the movie NOW! They can always come out with a "Special Edition" later. The studios would make more money this way anyway, because I would probably buy a movie again a few years down the road if it had the extras added in. I wouldn't do this for every title in my collection, mind you, but for the ones I love the most, I definitley would.
    Anyone else feel this way, or is it just me? I'm getting tired of waiting for many, many titles.

2. Alex Spindler

Alex Spindler Producer

It's usually proven to be worth the wait (Episode 1 comes to mind). The desire for instant gratification just reduces the enjoyment of new releases, like the glut in October proved to me. Less of a chance to really enjoy each release. Also, as my collection nears completion (very few titles I'm still looking for), having titles on the horizon (however far) gives me something to look forward to.

3. brentl

brentl Cinematographer

If they said Aladdin and The Lion King were being released bare bones I wouldn't hessitate to buy either!!
    Brent L

4. Bjorn Olav Nyberg

Bjorn Olav Nyberg Supporting Actor

Yes and no, it would depend on the title. I'd get the classic Disney's in a heartbeat, and I couldn't wait to get Almost famous, Escape from New york.
    But apparently I can wait for titles like Blade runner, Mean streets, Goodfellas, Raizing Arizona, Scarface, Citizen kane (R2 exists), King kong (R2 again)...
    Man, I must be stupid! [​IMG]
    ------------------
    Click here if you want to see Looney Tunes on DVD!
    "You're 10 seconds away from the most embarrassing moment of your life!"
    Click here to admit you want to see Ford Fairlane on DVD!
    DVD List LD List

5. Neil Joseph

Neil Joseph Lead Actor

Neil Joseph
  6. Allan Mack

Allan Mack Supporting Actor

7. John Kilduff

John Kilduff Screenwriter

I dunno. Where could I find a copy of "The Woman In Red"? MGM announced that for release this year, then delayed it due to "rights issues". Are they prepping a Special Edition and not telling me? Hey, if they can get footage of Kelly LeBrock in the nude, I think it'd be worth it.
    Sincerely,
    John Kilduff
    ------------------
    "Who makes it happen?"
    "I make it happen"-
    Sigourney Weaver and Melanie Griffith in "Working Girl"

8. Rob Willey

Rob Willey Screenwriter

Rob
    Yes. Case in point: Almost Famous.
    Rob
    ------------------