What's new

If Sony buys MGM will that mean more or less product? (1 Viewer)

Mark To

Supporting Actor
Just wondering if this sale goes thru what that will mean as far as the MGM library goes. They haven't issued a lot of older material, Outer Limits, Green Acres and Mr. Ed. Now Sony seems to be cranking the shows out but they have enough to handle with their already extensive archive. I just wonder if Patty Duke and all of the Ziv shows would be benefited by going to Sony or would they just get lost in the shuffle?

Dane Marvin

Screenwriter
Hard to say, but Sony hasn't been bashful with releasing TV on DVD product. Shows I thought wouldn't hit DVD for a long time ("What's Happening?", "The Partridge Family", "The Tick" live-action series, etc.) are out or on the way.

I definitely don't think the sale would hurt the chances of MGM's TV titles winding up on shiny circles!

Jeff Ulmer

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
I hope it means more QUALITY product, less rehash of old transfers or non OAR releases. There is little point in releasing a ton of crap.

Andrew Radke

Screenwriter
Real Name
Andrew Radke

More pan & scan releases than I'm willing to count for starters. I don't own a lot of MGM disks, but the ones I actually do want are not OAR. Of course, this doesn't pertain to TV/DVD releases, but I digress.

Kevin M

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Ray
I personally think MGM has made drastic improvements in the quality of their product, with a few exceptions of course, but on the whole I am very pleased with the headway they have made in the last two years or so.

Dane Marvin

Screenwriter
I hear the Valley Girl release really sucked badly. MGM may not be releasing a ton of stuff that is considered "crap", but they don't go out of their way very often to make an "incredible" DVD release like Warner, Fox & New Line so often do.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation921
Recent bookmarks