If real CSIs don't like the TV CSIs, then...

Discussion in 'TV Shows' started by Nicholas Martin, Aug 15, 2006.

1. Nicholas Martin

Nicholas Martin Cinematographer

...can the same be said for real doctors having issues with "ER" or "Grey's Anatomy"?

Or real lawyers having problems with shows like "The Practice" and "Boston Legal"?

The "CSI" series are always being looked down on by real-life prosecutors, police, etc for being too unrealistic, despite the growing popularity of those professions fueled by the series.

With the exception of "Boston Public", a show that did not have any fans in the form of real-life teachers who were appalled at their TV portrayal, I can't think of another example of a series where the fact looks down on the fiction.

Anyone?

2. Jason Seaver

Jason Seaver Lead Actor

I'm highly amused by the IT people on 24.

3. Ken Chan

Ken Chan Producer

Sure. For example, on ER, they intubate too often -- it's dramatic action -- and their diagnostic powers are exagerated.

With CSI, though, the problem is the side effect that people come to expect "the evidence" to always be present, when real life is not that neat. That becomes a problem when those people sit on juries.

4. Nicholas Martin

Nicholas Martin Cinematographer

But has the outcry been as vocal for anything other than CSI?

I just want to know if CSI is the exception.

Now, I don't watch ER and I've only seen two episodes of Grey's Anatomy, but I would hope that doctors don't really behave that way...it's just nasty for that environment.

5. MikeyWeitz

MikeyWeitz Supporting Actor

You mean you can't pull up a random building's design drawings, or crack 256aes encryption with a latop and a cell phone modem?

You can't penetrate govt. level firewalls in under 30sec. without any kind of penetration testing? They don't even use Nessus or anything, they just get right in [​IMG]

6. Mary_P

Mary_P Second Unit

The ones that amuse me are the digital enhancements of photos. Sure, we've only got three pixels to work with, but no problem extracting a readable license plate number out of it!

7. ThomasC

ThomasC Lead Actor

My cousin, now a doctor, took classes as a medical student where the professor showed episodes of ER because they were pretty medically accurate. Maybe things have changed over the years.

8. MatthewLouwrens

MatthewLouwrens Producer

What do doctors think of House?

I remember reading an article about Big Love a few months ago, and how real-life polygamists thoguht that was actually pretty accurate in portraying the relationships and issues that can arise.

9. Jeff Jacobson

Jeff Jacobson Cinematographer

If that technology really existed, the MPAA would try to get it outlawed. You could convert all of your VHS tapes to HD quality, and they wouldn't be able to sell the same movie to you over and over again.

10. David Norman

David Norman Producer
    Supporter

I know a lot of Doctors and most of them love the House character and wish they were allowed to give their free and unfettered opinions on everything including patient stupidity. Most of the opinions I've heard on the show itself are quite positive, but I don't think any of them consider House anywhere near realistic. Most MD's really don't nitpick the medical stuff too much.

House the Doctor is just about as ridiculous as Grissom the CSI. Nobody has the bizarre conglomeration of knowledge that House has and I know some Docs with near photographic memories and IQ's in the Ferrari Top Speed range. No doctor would be allowed under any circumstances to get away with the the Trial and Error method that House employs.

Personally I loved it when Cameron actually suddenly became a Neurosurgeon performing the Brain Biopsy on Freeman. I don't think so.

ER for it's overdramatization of a lot of stuff is probably more realistic and tremendously more boring quite frankly. My wife refuses to watch most realistic Medical shows -- "see it all day, why do I want to watch it at night." She'd much rather watch Scrubs.

Grey's Anatomy -- I don't think it is thought of as a realistic show. I consider it far more Soap than Medical show. I know most Residents/Interns would love to see anywhere near as much sacktime (sleeping or awake) as these guys do. Sleeping/Living with you Attending Physicians is frowned upon and likely would get both parties canned in a hurry -- not quite, but almost as frowned upon as sleeping with patients.

St Elsewhere had a more realistic Medical reputation than most current medical shows particularly from a Resident/Trainee perspective and the William Daniels Attending was just scary close to being a spot on Nasty Attending Surgeon. Chicago Hope I think was pretty close, but in a quite different way.

11. MarkHastings

MarkHastings Executive Producer

LOL - We get police officers coming into our facility all the time with surveillance footage. This one cop had a tape on VHS, at slow speed, in B&W, with 4 camera angles, so the best I could pull was a 320x240 still of the getaway car.

Yes, there was NO way to enhance anything in the shot. I kept telling him that this is not like the movies - If you can't see it, there's no "enhancing" technique (like in film) that allows you to MAGICALLY make the license plate # appear.

12. JeremyErwin

JeremyErwin Producer

13. David Norman

David Norman Producer
    Supporter

As the saying goes: "Lighten up Frances"

I can't believe someone could watch the show and not absolutely love the sheer absurdity of Greg House and the brilliance of Hugh Laurie.
    Fishing toy soldiers out of a kids nose, the kid in love with the 'Cow,' teaching patients how to lie properly in the right circumstances, tap dancing around the Billionaire Hospital owner

14. David Williams

David Williams Cinematographer

To give the flip side to this: Both of my parents are nurses and they find the show to be ridiculous... House's interns do 90% of the things nurses would normally do for the patient. I personally love the show but neither one of my parents can watch it, especially after House made that comment about nurses are for cleanup.

15. Lynda-Marie

Lynda-Marie Supporting Actor

When I was a kid in the 1970s, my mom and I liked watching CHiPs. It is a guilty pleasure I hope to have again when I can get the series on DVD.

However, a friend of the family was in fact a motorcycle policeman, and his opinion of the CHiPs probably reflects a lot of professional opinions about their professions as portrayed on TV: "Ah, Buffalo CHiPs is on again!"

16. nickGreenwood

nickGreenwood Second Unit

So you mean that everything J.D. does on Scrubs isn't real?!?!? say it isn't so!

heh. I guess it probably depends on the doctor or whatever professional in the profession that's being "covered".

17. Chad R

Chad R Cinematographer

Chad Rouch
    And from someone who works in a bookstore, let me say "Stacked" in no way represents real bookstores. [​IMG]

18. Joseph DeMartino

Joseph DeMartino Lead Actor

Joseph DeMartino

As someone who used to work in a bookstore, I agree. If Stacked had been realistic I never would have left. [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Regards,

Joe

19. Garrett Lundy

Garrett Lundy Producer

The real ER would be very boring.....
    *half the patients are pain-killer junkies. While occassionaly found in TV, never to the extent they clog a real ER.
    *ambulances bringing-in old, lonely people who want attention, and will never pay a penny for the tens of thousands in unneeded medical bills the accumulate a year. These people are usually ignored on TV.
    *The doctors never show up, ask whats wrong, leave the patient strapped to backborad for 4 hours while they drink coffee and/or go home for the day as happens in real life (this happened to me last month)
    *The X-ray technicians are always doing their job on TV?! When has the real ER ever NOT had to wait 2 hours for these guys to get to work?
    *Not enough vomit on TV
    *TV can't convey the everpresent "bleach smell" that is ER
    *Doctors like/ talk to each other on TV. Real ER doctors rarely have same native language.

My biggest peeve with CSI
    CSI Guy: I need a DNA test
    *Ding!*
    Lab Guy: Its ready!

Law & Order: They solve everything.
    Rescue Me: None of the firemen are pyromaniacs

20. Paul McElligott

Paul McElligott Cinematographer

Paul McElligott
    That's about the only psychosis they don't have.