What's new

If only two DVD players existed in the world...which would you choose? (1 Viewer)

JeremyX

Stunt Coordinator
lil bump...some one has to have an opinion...this was the internet the last time i checked. :P

Carson E

Agent
I'm looking hard at the Elite 45. For the DVD-A and SACD combo. Got a local dealer to offer it for $500. $700. retail. Only thing is I keep reading about a red push problem. Does every product now have a red push problem???
I think more combo players will arive soon and at lower prices.
Just checked the Denon. Looks good but no SACD. So for me the Elite or wait. Maybe wait. (?)

Kevin C Brown

Senior HTF Member
The 45a. It has DVD-V, DVD-A, SACD, and CD. The Denon doesn't. Plus, I have a 45a, and the *only* complaint with it that I've had, is that it only weighs 6 lbs or so. But the performance? I got no complaint with that... :)

JeremyX

Stunt Coordinator
Hi Kevin,

I see you live in my part of the world...did you pick it up locally or online? Would you mind letting me know and how much you paid?

Thanks.

jeff_coil

Stunt Coordinator
Hi Kevin I just went through the same exercise and selected the 1600 (no chroma bug)and as I remember the 45a had it. Additionally I have read several good reviews on the Denon.
Link Removed
I haven't seen a "good" review on 45a yet.
I ended up paying $10 more for the Denon from the local shop. I really think they are both good players with.
Good Luck with your choice.

Kevin C Brown

Senior HTF Member
I haven't seen a "good" review on 45a yet.
Dec S&V.
They said it had very good audio/video performance, and their only complaint was "plain styling". I can live with that for the performance you get, especially for the price.
I got mine for $425 from www.soundcity.com . You can find them cheaper now (I got mine from the 1st batch they had), but I've also been buying from them for years.

jeff_coil

Stunt Coordinator
Very cool my sales guy had mentioned that he thought the 45a had a better picture, they carry both, but I din't see it the Denon I thought was a bit more soothing to my eyes. And I should have mentioned that I have a 3803 so they look good together:emoji_thumbsup:
BTW I paid 438 out the door

Rich Wenzel

Supporting Actor
If I was using it for video purposes and probably pcm purposes, the Denon 1600, if I was looking for a multichannel sound, the Pioneer 45a.

I happen to own the Denon.

I would consider switching to a universal player, but there is not enough media out there to make it worth my while.

Rich

Phil Nichols

Second Unit
Jeremy,

I don't own either player but this I do know about them - the 1600 has one of the best deinterlacer circuits (using Faroudja patents) and one of the best MPEG decoder circuits (made by Panasonic and completely free of the prevalent chroma upsampling error) in the world in it. The Pioneer doesn't have either.

If you want pristine video get the 1600. If you want good enough video and perhaps some other features the Pio may have over the 1600, get the 45A.

(BTW, the 1600 is reputed to put out pretty doggone good audio too.)

Good luck choosing!

Aaron Whitaker

Stunt Coordinator
I'd have to say the 1600 because of the chroma bug issue. I looked long and hard at the 45 but ended up going the separate sacd (CE775) and seperate dvd progressive/dvd-a (rp82). I'm very happy.

Sach

Stunt Coordinator
Pioneer 45A! Amazing razor sharp and detailed pictures.

Sure it has the chroma bug but it can hardly be seen. Never seen such vibrancy in pictures before at this price point.

other advantages:

very good audio! (if you do go for separate DVD-Audio/SACD players, make sure there are 2 5.1 inputs in your receiver)

good base management
2 free discs
the Elite 2-year warranty!

I think its the best bang for the buck!

JeremyX

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks for the tips.

It looks as though my current player has the bug, so I may indeed have to get the 1600, that seems to be the best solution.

Thanks again for your feedback it makes my decision that much easier.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks