1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

If only 5 more could be released...

Discussion in 'TV on DVD and Blu-ray' started by tlc38tlc38, Feb 21, 2018.

1. Message #61 of 73 Feb 28, 2018
    Last edited: Mar 1, 2018
    MatthewA

MatthewA Lead Actor

Matthew
    The first season of One Day at a Time didn't exactly fly off the shelves, and Shout! at one point flat out said they didn't want it because they didn't think it would sell. Now the whole thing's out. Same deal with Maude. The Crash of 2008 happened around the same time as the Spoons season 1 set, IIRC. I'm honestly surprised that didn't get at least as much of it out as Webster (4/6), Punky Brewster (4/4 including the cartoon), and Small Wonder (2/4, and yes the idea of Disney owning any part of it scares me, too)! Ironically, a bunch of the other shows the cast did are already on DVD: NYPD Blue, The Paper Chase, Best of the West, and Buck Rogers (EDIT: and, of course, The Fresh Prince of Bel-Air)

Whitney Houston's death probably made "Saving All My Love For You" a whole lot more expensive.* Maybe they should rewrite it:

This show was successful
    When I was a tot;
    It should be on disc now,
    Alas, it is not.

Season one didn't sell,
    So the rest rot in hell,
    But if I want them,
    What do I do?
    So I'm saving all my dough
    For you!

*The original version was recorded in 1978 by Marilyn McCoo (who guest starred on Punky Brewster) and Billy Davis, Jr (who didn't). The sax solo on Whitney's version was played by Tom Scott, who also co-wrote the theme to Family Ties.

2. Message #62 of 73 Feb 28, 2018
    Last edited: Feb 28, 2018
    LouA

LouA Screenwriter

Lou Antonicello
    It would appear that My Little Margie will get a complete season by season release from Nostalgia Family . Hopefully that's one I will be able to cross off my list . There's a separate thread on this site for this new My Little Margie release .

Tony Bensley, Darby67 and Flashgear like this.
  3. MatthewA

MatthewA Lead Actor

Matthew
    Fernwood/America 2 Nite is a really funny show that should get a release, but that is probably going to be the biggest music rights headache out of all of Sony's Norman Lear/Embassy library holdings.

I also wonder how much chance Forever Fernwood, which showed what happened to everyone else in town without Louise Lasser as Mary Hartman, ever has of being seen again anywhere at all. I think Tab Hunter was in it as well.

Tony Bensley, Darby67 and Flashgear like this.
  4. Blimpoy06

Blimpoy06 Supporting Actor

Darin
    [​IMG]
    I pity the fool company that won't release Silver Spoons on DVD!

5. Message #65 of 73 Feb 28, 2018
    Last edited: Feb 28, 2018
    MatthewA

MatthewA Lead Actor

Matthew
    Even if they cleared everything that can be cleared, released the set, sold it, and made a return on their investment, who actually gets the money from it? None of the cast would get a dime from the DVDs*, but unlike Hogan there were no knock-down drag-out public fights over who owns the rights.

You've got to hand it to NBC; they really tried hard to make John P. Navin, Jr. happen. He was in the first episode of Cheers as well and spoke the show's very first line, "Yo, Chief, how about a beer?" Before that, he was Samantha Kanisky's first kiss on Gimme A Break!, and she believed that was enough to make her pregnant. And then when he got his own series, Jennifer Slept Here, which gave Ann Jillian something to do while waiting for It's A Living to come back, it flopped**. Then he just disappeared. But not before providing one of the most memorable lines in National Lampoon's Vacation.

By contrast to that episode: Punky Brewster could take on Chad Allen***, but not Moose McGuirk.

The highest rated show Embassy launched in 1982 was Gloria, but CBS canceled it along with Archie Bunker's Place (still in the Top 30) and Square Pegs (the show where they actually used silver spoons backstage, if you catch my drift, creating even further dissonance between that and Nancy Reagan's "Just Say No" spiel over on Diff'rent Strokes).

*The only TV show Embassy released on video when they actually existed was Mary Hartman, Mary Hartman. That even got a laserdisc release.
    **Breast cancer or not, it being a hit might have kept her off her last show when it returned.
    ***Since both of them got canceled for his show, Our House, which took him away from Webster, I just realized that Spoons actually pokes a hole in the Tommy Westphall Universe theory, one even bigger than the dyn-o-mite-sized hole caused by the changing name of Florida Evans' husband. It and Gilligan's Island are both part of it (as is ALF, which convolutes it even further since they actually had the cast on; NYPD Blue and Arrested Development are also in it, so they include shows with the same actors playing different characters). The Strattons, Dexter, and Alfonzo end up stranded on an island in a two-part episode called "Voyage of the Darned" in season three. Dexter ended up admitting that he watched Gilligan's Island, and they used something he remembered from that to get off the island. This begs the question of how two shows can exist in the same universe when one refers to the other in a fictional context. St. Elsewhere also explains why The Golden Girls (and by proxy its spinoffs and sequel) aren't part of it: Rose's blind sister Lily watches it and treats it as if it were radio. But Webster is included since he got to meet Worf in his show's last episode, which Susan Clark and Alex Karras didn't even bother to show up for. Okay. Sure. Even though he had posters for Star Trek movies in his bedroom all those years.

Blimpoy06 likes this.
  6. mark-edk

mark-edk Stunt Coordinator

I looked over some of my old posts to refresh my memory on what could qualify for the Final Five. I saw a list of about a dozen I made in 2008...interestingly four of them have made it to DVD: Ellery Queen, She-Wolf of London, Thriller, and Total Recall 2070. But the 8 others, and many more, have to be whittled down to five so here goes.
    • Adventures of Ozzie and Harriet - has to be on the list, especially with 14 seasons so I'll get a lot of mileage out of my first of five choices.
    • That's Hollywood - probably a wasted pick because it will never be released, but in my fantasy world it would.
    • 77 Sunset Strip - all six seasons.
    • Cliffhangers - plus the movies that were made from the segments. Just to experience the craziness of it all once more (it is not easily found even in the dark and sinister alleys of the 'collectors' market).
    My last choice might be considered a bit of a cheat, but I think it can legitimately be considered a series, albeit in the anthology genre...
    • The ABC Movie of the Week - Every film, pilot, presentation that appeared under this rubric on any day of the week. Lots of viewing pleasure here to fill many hours.

7. Verabennett

Verabennett Auditioning

Michael Swift
    St Elsewhere
    Who’s The Boss?
    Knots Landing
    Falcon Crest
    Crown Court (UK)

Tony Bensley and Darby67 like this.
  8. Neil Brock

Neil Brock Producer

Two lists, first is shows I need many of the episodes and the 2nd list is shows I would like upgrades on:

Bus Stop
    Baretta
    The Tycoon
    Many Happy Returns
    Make Room For Daddy

Want to upgrade/complete:

T.H.E. Cat
    He and She
    Love on a Rooftop
    The Outsider
    Family

9. Robert13

Robert13 Supporting Actor

Robert
    Not sure how possible it is for this to happen but, I would LOVE to see "Many Happy Returns" and "Love On A Rooftop" released on dvd. I have seen a few episodes of "Love On A Rooftop" and it was a great little show. I thought MPI might do justice to that but they seem to have stopped releasing classic tv titles.

I'm wondering if Warner Archive could potentially release "Many Happy Returns". I could be wrong but do they own the rights to release and distribute this series?

10. Neil Brock

Neil Brock Producer

They do, so there is some hope they will do it at some point.

11. MatthewA

MatthewA Lead Actor

Matthew
    Did anyone ask Warner Archive if Our House had any chance of a release?

12. Frank Soyke

Frank Soyke Screenwriter

Frank
    Run For Your Life
    Hawaiian Eye
    T.H.E. Cat
    He and She
    Tightrope

13. Frank Soyke

Frank Soyke Screenwriter

Frank
    Runner Up 5:

Richard Diamond
    It’s Your Move
    Silver Spoons
    Hillbillies (5-9)
    Trapper John MD

Jeff Flugel, Darby67 and Flashgear like this.