What's new

If only 5 more could be released... (1 Viewer)

Jeff Flugel

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeff Flugel
Nice to see you chime in on this topic, Gary O! Your voice is missed on the various classic TV threads (ditto Jeff Willis). I know it must be particularly frustrating for you that your Holy Grail show, Ozzie and Harriet, has never seen a season-by-season release. Re: the rest of your list, I'd sure like to see Paramount revisit My Three Sons and do it right this time (not to mention completing it, though I'd likely bail before the final Dodie seasons, myself).

Brian Himes

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brian
I have to divide mine up into two categories. Those that I want to see completed and those yet to be released.

The ones I want completed are:

The Rookies
Baretta
Room 222
Love, American Style
The Muppet Show

Ones not released that I would like to see started or released as complete series:

Phyllis
Chico and the Man
Empty Nest (the only non 70s show on my list)
The Hot L Baltimore
The Sonny & Cher Comedy Hour/The Sonny Comedy Revue/Cher/The Sonny & Cher Show (a big TimeLife set of this would be just fine. Maybe a combination of the 100 best episodes from all 4 shows)

Ron1973

Beverly Hillbilles nut extraordinaire
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ron Reagan (not that one!)
The Beverly Hillbillies S5-9 with S4 fixed of music replacements
Petticoat Junction (not as big of a favorite, but it completes the rural trio of Henning shows)
B.J. and the Bear/The Misadventures of Sheriff Lobo (I get to count these as one since they were syndicated together!)
Bonanza lost episodes finished
Season sets of Hee Haw, or at least more 80's episodes plus the Garth Brooks appearance in the 90's

Honorable mention to Enos since it's only 13 episodes or so. :D

Ron1973

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
I hope when all is said and done, we get at least seasons 4-5 of Petticoat Junction. Cast changes hurt the last two seasons so I don't consider those necessities, although I'd still love to see it brought to completion.

It just narrowly avoided my own list.
That's sort of my feelings with The Beverly Hillbillies. At least get us through S7. I want it in its entirety, but I won't cry if we at least get that. The last 2 seasons were an absolute dismal failure!

AndrewCrossett

Second Unit
I don't really want to add this but a special category for "fouled up release that needs to be redone" would be "The Odd Couple" with the senseless cuts PUT BACK IN! I'd sacrifice one of the items on my list for that.

Ha... you beat me to it.

I'd use one slot for a fully music-restored Odd Couple, and then...

2. Bonanza
3. Saturday Night Live
4. The Krofft Supershow (wouldn't have thought of it if others hadn't mentioned it)
5. The Smurfs

If this fantasy exercise extended to bringing back episodes that no longer exist (or were never recorded at all), I would also have to name "Not Only... But Also," the 1960's sketch show with Peter Cook and Dudley Moore that was completely wiped by the BBC, and of course the early seasons of "Doctor Who"... would also love to have a complete collection of "The Ed Sullivan Show".

I'd like to have a complete set of "Mystery Science Theater 3000" with the episodes that have never been released due to rights issues. And "America's Castles," a documentary series that ran on A&E in the 90's and did walk-throughs of historic old houses. And "The Carol Burnett Show" complete all in one place. The first run of "Mr. Rogers' Neighborhood" ('68-'76). "SCTV" and "In Living Color" complete and uncensored.

Blimpoy06

Screenwriter
Real Name
Darin
That's sort of my feelings with The Beverly Hillbillies. At least get us through S7. I want it in its entirety, but I won't cry if we at least get that. The last 2 seasons were an absolute dismal failure!
Not for me.I want to see Season 8 and "Honest John"!
hqdefault.jpg

cherisland

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Todd
If I could only pick five more .....

1. The Pruitt's Of Southampton/The Phyllis Diller Show (1966-67)
2. The Sonny & Cher Comedy Hour/ Sonny Comedy Revue/ Cher/ Sonny & Cher Show (1971-1976)
3. Harper Valley PTA/Harper Valley (1981-82)
4. My Three Sons (1960-72)
5. The Paul Lynde Show (1972-73)

Ron1973

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
IMHO, the majority of rear projection shots, movies or TV, are obvious and poorly done. For me, those shots almost always stick out like a sore thumb.
They weren't good on the old 25" Magnavox TV back in "the day," and they are even more atrocious on my 55" LG LED.

MatthewA

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew
It may be up to Shout! to untangle the Hogan Family legal mess. They already pried Welcome Back Kotter out of WB, so it could theoretically happen. I'll take bets on whether that or Silver Spoons, which they wanted for years and still haven't managed to get, gets done first.*

I asked Warner Archive about Love, Sidney years ago on Facebook, and they said it wasn't in the cards. That may have changed, but I'm not sure.

The others are Sony, so they'll be out from anyone but Sony. Questar released Women of the House, who knows what else they'll get.

*In Valerie's quest to raid the staffs of as many Embassy shows as they could now that Norman Lear had sold out (maybe they were the Pepsi drinkers?), in season 2, they helped themselves to one of Silver Spoons' producers, Steve Pritzker. Valerie Harper had also worked with him on The Mary Tyler Moore Show, where among the episodes he wrote was "Some of My Best Friends Are Rhoda." After that, he picked another line of work.

Last edited:

TV_Fan

Second Unit
Real Name
Chris H
It may be up to Shout! to untangle the Hogan Family legal mess. They already pried Welcome Back Kotter out of WB, so it could theoretically happen. I'll take bets on whether that or Silver Spoons, which they wanted for years and still haven't managed to get, gets done first.*

I asked Warner Archive about Love, Sidney years ago on Facebook, and they said it wasn't in the cards. That may have changed, but I'm not sure.

The others are Sony, so they'll be out from anyone but Sony. Questar released Women of the House, who knows what else they'll get.

*In Valerie's quest to raid the staffs of as many Embassy shows as they could now that Norman Lear had sold out (maybe they were the Pepsi drinkers?), in season 2, they helped themselves to one of Silver Spoons' producers, Steve Pritzker. Valerie Harper had also worked with him on The Mary Tyler Moore Show, where among the episodes he wrote was "Some of My Best Friends Are Rhoda." After that, he picked another line of work.

I doubt any of them will ever get released. I also asked WB Archives about Love Sidney awhile back and they said there were minor music issues meaning it could set released at some time (or words to that effect). I'm not holding my breath.

As for Silver Spoons I've asked Shout! and they said that it would be very difficult for them to release it because of low sales of season one plus high music costs. Not looking good for any of those shows though I'd buy them all if they got a release.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation921
Recent bookmarks