What's new

If not carpet spikes, the next best thing? (1 Viewer)

Casey H

Stunt Coordinator
Hey Guys,
I wondered what the consensus is on isolation. I am not sure I want to use spikes for my new Sono. Can anyone comment on other options that have worked for them?
Thanks! Casey :)

John E Janowitz

Second Unit
Madisound has some little 1" tall rubber feet. I actually use these on lots of stuff here. They don't scrape up your floors, and don't poke your hand when trying to carry the enclosure. :)
John

A

Anthony_Gomez

You know...I don't even use spikes or rubber feet. My subs are directly on the floor. Then again my school apartment has that cheap 1/4" pile carpet...with no padding under it!

Kyle Richardson

Screenwriter
I don't have spikes on my Maelstrom either. With it being as heavy as it is I figured they would puncture through the carpet, pad, wood floor, then poke somebody in China in their foot :D

Bill Fagal

Stunt Coordinator
First of all, spikes don't isolate so much as they couple, and they don't do either gracefully at sub-bass frequencies.

I've never been convinced that speaker spikes are a good thing, especially on subwoofers. Spikes function as vibrational sinks, draining motion from from one solid object into another by coupling them with similar mechanical impedence. Fine and dandy if you're trying to keep a vibrating transformer from turning the rest of your tube amp into a big microphone. But how can directly coupling a speaker to your house's skeleton (though spikes will only couple portions of the waveform) not contribute to sympathetic vibration elsewhere, a.k.a noise?

I say fill the bottom of your sub with sand and set it in a sandbox if you want to somewhat isolate it. Or, if you wanna get extreme, suspend it on lossy elastomer with some travel.

Casey H

Stunt Coordinator
Excellent input all! Thank you!
I think it will be the rubber foot method!
Casey :emoji_thumbsup:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks