What's new

If not Bose... (1 Viewer)

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
The 595 has been discontinued, so it's probably not a great choice, though you could probably get it for a better price (but the new one should be out in a few months...)

FORGET the Def Tech Pro Cinemas. They are crap. I listened to the 80s and 100s via a Marantz SR7200 (I have a 6200) in direct mode and was completely unimpressed with their sound.

The AR HC6 is another one with an insufficient sub. Check out S&V this month for a review.

What *I* look for in a bookshelf speaker: At least 60Hz, but around 50Hz is even better, even if you cross them over at 100Hz. Depending on the slope of the x-over, they will trail off much lower than that. Sub - AT LEAST 25Hz low extension.

ZackS

Auditioning
I'd highly recommend checking out the Paradigm Cinema / Performance series.

Cinema fronts/rears + Cinema CC + PDR 8 = $746, and will knock the socks off any Bose system.

Atoms front, Cinema rears, CC170 center + PDR 10 = $896, and is a nice step up from the first sys.

Paradigm Reference is what I run, and every time I turn it on, I'm amazed by the quality of what they put out, especially considering their price.

Thomas_Berg

Screenwriter
Real Name
Thomas
i'd probably go with that Axiom package that Daniel T. suggested or the nOrh's if you can afford them and like their unique looks.

is the $1000 just for speakers, or does that include a sub? is a receiver also budgeted in there? do you have a DVD player?

the new Onkyos won't be out for at least a month, so if you need to buy now i'm sure you could get a great deal on the 595. i own it and it is both user-friendly and powerful. it's a very solid receiver for the money.

sub-wise, a Rava ($400) would probably be the best choice for you price/performance-wise.

good luck, and DO stay away from Bose!!

ThomasL

Supporting Actor
Brian, I was commenting specifically on the Sonys only because I had a SA-VE315 system for a small home theater setup and when I compared it to some traditional bookshelves, there really was no comparison. The Sonys stated 90Hz-20Khz but it was clear that the little 3 inch drivers in the satellites weren't doing much in the lower range below 200Hz. While I'd expect the 815 system to be better, this experience has made me leery of the smallish one driver satellite systems.

cheers,

--tom

ZackS

Auditioning
Kimmo,

My store sells the Gallos and the Paradigms, and the Paradigms win every test hands down, and cost a lot less as well. With the Gallos, you're paying for looks.

Larry B

Screenwriter
These speakers run $1500 MSRP but you can find them

online for about $975. You can demo them at The Good Guys or any other audio retailer who carries Energy speakers.
I realize this is off the track, but I think everyone should read the articles in the most recent edition of Sterophile, regarding the practice of auditioning at a B&M, then purchasing online.

I think this issue is of considerable importance, and I will start a thread devoted to it as soon as I get a chance.

Larry

Kimmo Jaskari

Screenwriter
Well, as long as they sound good and you only pay a premium for looks then that is something I could live with. It's when products only look good that I think it sucks (aka Bose...)

But I have nothing against Paradigm, I use a Servo 15 sub myself and absolutely love it.

Phil Iturralde

Screenwriter
JBL NSP1 said:
If you've got the space, you can get the AudioSource SW Fifteen for $199.99 @ Amazon.com (Eligible for FREE Super Saver Shipping on orders of $99 or more.)
AudioSource SW Fifteen 200watt 15" Sub
· 15-inch reinforced front firing driver
· Integrated 200-watt amplifier
· Signal to Noise Ratio: >90 dB
· Subwoofer level control
· Variable crossover: 40 Hz to 180 Hz
· Speaker and RCA inputs and outputs
· Auto-On signal sensing circuitry
· Phase reverse switch
· Black ash woodgrain cabinet & fabric grille
· 20 to 250 Hz frequency response
· 21.5"H x 16"W x 19"D / 68 lbs.
Otherwise, get the Sony SA-WM40 for $139.88 + S/H @ 1800 Nicebuy
Sony SA-WM40
· SAW (Super Acoustically Loaded) Bass Reflex design
· 12-inch long-throw driver
· Level control
· Variable high-cut frequency, 50 - 170 Hz
· Auto Power On/Off
· Line-level and speaker-level inputs
· Omni-directional bass
· Phase invert switch Active Subwoofer SA-WM40
· Power Output, one channel, 8 W, 20 - 200 Hz, 0.8% THD 120 watts Driver Size 12"
· 32 lbs 14 oz (14.9 kg)
· 14-1/4 x 16-7/8 x 16-1/2" (362 x 429 x 419 mm)
· Line output for additional subwoofer
NOTE: Because my website is 'free', hosted by GeoCities, if too many HT enthusiasts visit, GeoCities will shut it down for an hour or so because it exceeded the specified 'freebie' Data Transfer Rate. Sorry about that, just bookmark it and visit my site an hour later or when everyone has gone to bed!
Phil

Dan J M

Auditioning
Thomas, the $1000 is for the speakers alone, but the lower the better, as it allows for a better amp, DVD player, etc. One again, thank you all for your help. Like someone said in the beginning of this post, it's gonna take a lot of time to soak up all this information...but I'll do it! :) Thanks!

BryanZ

Screenwriter
Dan,

An alternative would be to get the front three, sub, and a dvd player to boot. For example, a pair of Paradigm Titans ($220), CC170 center ($180), Adire Audio Rava ($400) and a Panasonic RV-31 ($180) would be under your budget.

Personally I'd get the nOrh 4.0s or Axioms and the Rava or HSU VTF-2 sub. Little more than what you want to pay but then again will give you a system that you should be happy with for years to come.

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
...a pair of Paradigm Titans ($220), CC170 center ($180), Adire Audio Rava ($400)
I picked up my shielded V3 Titans for $189, so you can do better on them. My former setup was 4 Titans and a CC170, and I was pretty happy with it. I have since upgraded the mains to Mini-Monitors. I was going to match the center with a CC370 and put the 170 in the rear, but the 170 is doing a better job up front than I expected, so I may just leave it. Some say the 170 doesn't match the Minis, but I am pretty picky, and I say it does, and Paradigm even has them paired up on their site.

KevinW

Stunt Coordinator
FORGET the Def Tech Pro Cinemas. They are crap. I listened to the 80s and 100s via a Marantz SR7200 (I have a 6200) in direct mode and was completely unimpressed with their sound.
Boy, that's a BOLD statement!

I have the Pro 100's with the C2 center and the ProSub 100tl and love it! . Beautiful to look at and even better to listen to.

Dan J M, as you can see, each person has his/her favorites. Take these as what they are, suggestions! Narrow you choices down to a few of these recommendations and buy what sounds best to you.

Good luck.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks