If not Bose...

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Dan J M, Feb 20, 2002.

1. Dan J M

Dan J M Auditioning

Well, I don't know what to say. I was looking at the Acoustimass 15 set and thinking about getting that. I thought the audio would be top-of-the-line, but from what I've read on this forum, Bose is certainly not the way to go. But here's the question... What is? I really don't know high-end speakers, or even speakers alone. I would like great 5.1 sound, but I don't know where to go. Does anyone have any ideas? How about a sub? Also, I would probably like to wall mount these speakers, but its not necessary. Thanks in advance!

2. RussellC

RussellC Stunt Coordinator

If you want a small speaker set-up, go with the Energy Take 5.2 system. They sound alot better than Bose and cost alot less.

-Russell

3. EricHaas

EricHaas Supporting Actor

Don't despair Dan. You've come to the right place. You will find no shortage of speaker recommendations here. In fact, you may end up with too many of them abd be very confused. [​IMG]
    The package I like to recommend for those who had their hearts set on Bose because of the compactness is the Energy Encore system. This is like the Take 5.2's recommended above but IMO a step up both sonically and aesthetically. They are also a step up pricewise. These speakers run $1500 MSRP but you can find them online for about $975. You can demo them at The Good Guys or any other audio retailer who carries Energy speakers.
    If you are willing to go with bookshelf sized speakers, which can be wall mounted but with some difficulty, then there are numerous other options. The Paradigm line (which I own), Divas by Swans, and Hometheaterdirect are all commonly recommended for outstanding price/performance ratios.

4. Dan J M

Dan J M Auditioning

Thank you both! Eric, I think I'd like to stick more to the Take 5.2 level, at least price wise. I was thinking about getting the Bose for $1200 because I thought they were amazing, and that that would beat everything you throw at them. [​IMG] I was wrong. I think I'd probably like to look at the Take 5.2 level cost-wise; that's probably more like where I'd want to be. What would you recommend for a good subwoofer? I think the SVS subs are a little much for me, what else is there? Does anyone have any recommendations for a good receiver? Thanks

5. Dan_Jones

Dan_Jones Stunt Coordinator

The best budget subwoofer out there currently seems to be the Sony SAWM40 which revolves around a 12" driver, coming in at approximately $110-$190 depending on whether or not you want to price match, buy online, or buy locally.

Good luck!

6. Dan J M

Dan J M Auditioning

What do you guys think of the NSP-1?

7. felix_suwarno

felix_suwarno Screenwriter

as far as i know if you purchase the take-2 you would get the sub too. you cant purchase them separately. i could be wrong, but last year a local shop in my area told me just that. i chose paradigm cinema because of that. i wanted a 10 inch sub, instead of 8.

but what do you care? energy take5-2 would be better than anything bose or sony.

8. Dustin B

Dustin B Producer

nOrh aren't my cup of tea apperance wise, but check them out, you may like the looks. Sound wise they are supposed to be remarkable though.

5 nOrh 4.0 speakers mated with an Adire Rava would be a significant step up from the Energy system that has been recommended (cost a little more too though). Cost would be $1250USD plus a little shipping.

You should also look at Axiom and Home Theater Direct for the 5 speakers. And depending on how long it is before you make the purchase SVS is rumoring a sub that should give the Rava a really good run for it's money in the $400USD price range.

9. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John

10. Sanjiva

Sanjiva Agent

Hi,

You should also check the Def Tech Procinema 80's as they are almost the same size as Energy Take/Encore series and sound far better, IMHO. However, pricewise they would be around Encore rather than Take.

11. Daniel T

Daniel T Stunt Coordinator

I would take a look at the Axiom speakers. I just recently purchased them and they sound terrific. I went with the M3Ti(fronts), VP100(center), QS4(surrounds), and EP125(sub). They cost me around 950 U.S. dollars with shipping. I would recommend going with the EP175 or EP350 subs. I found the EP125 is a little small but it still sounds great. You can find the speakers at www.axiomaudio.com. They sell direct to the customer. I would also give Marc a call at www.audioshop.on.ca. His prices are in Canadian dollars and you can save a lot of money with exchange to American dollars.

12. ThomasL

ThomasL Supporting Actor

Dan, I'm not sure anyone explicitly asked but what is your price range? Your max you want to spend? You mentioned $1200 for the Bose setup? Is that the max?

What everyone has said are good options. It was my experience that the Energy Take 5.2 system comes with the sub and the Energy dealer closer to me sold it as a package deal. I was actually interested in getting the Energy sub since my current setup restricts the size of sub I can have (my room is also only 12 1/2 by 13 1/2 and smaller when you consider the entertainment wall unit takes about about 1 1/2 feet of the width). From what I read, the Energy sub is a nice little sub that can go down to around 29-30Hz with no problems.

I'd also take a look at the Cambridge Soundworks Newton series - specifically the smaller M50 bookshelves. Also, look at the Paradigm Atoms. I ended up getting the CSW Newton set (the M50s fronts, MC300 center and S300 surrounds) but went with a Paradigm PDR-8 sub. Total cost was around $950. There are many combinations you can do for 5 speakers plus sub for under $1K. Here is the summary of companies/products I looked at:

CSW Newtons

Paradigm Atoms (Performance series)

Axiom Mzero/M1 bookshelves

Polk R10/RT15i/RT25i

Energy Take 5.2

JBL NSP1 package

NHT SB-1

Mirage AVS-500 package

Definitive Technology Cinema 80? package

My last comment is with the Sony package. I'm not sure what sub comes with the SA-VE815 package but if the satellites are composed of one full range driver then I'd avoid it.

good luck,

--tom

13. Dan J M

Dan J M Auditioning

Yeah, the price max is probably about $1G. I'm not really the kind of person who will be able to tell the difference between a $1000 speaker and a $2000 speaker, I just want good sound for my theater uses. I think the Take 5.2 or the NSP-1 is kinda the area I want to look in. Thanks!

14. Dan_Jones

Dan_Jones Stunt Coordinator

I would give the nod to the Axiom setup IMHO that Daniel T. suggested. I have M50Ti's, VP100 and M3Ti's and they are absolutely exceptional. Possibly the best bang for the buck in quasi-budget speakers available.
    There are a number of M3Ti reviews online, give them a look.
    They can be purchased via www.axiomaudio.com as was said (they also sell factory blemished units, which from what I heard are rarely ever blemished), and Marc at the Audioshop (www.audioshop.on.ca) also sells them; you might be able to get a better price through him.
    Either way, definitely check Axiom Audio out. I'm glad I did.

15. Dustin B

Dustin B Producer

I'd go with 5 Axiom M3Ti bookshelf speakers and a Rava then. Possibly the new powered SVS model if it gets released in a time frame that matches when you want to buy.

I wouldn't even consider the EP125. the EP175 is way to much money for its specs. And the EP350 isn't any better.

A Rava would be better than the 175 and is a $100 less. In fact I'd bet the Rava would come very close output wise to the 350, but sound better. The Adire Dharman would easily beat a 350 and is $20 less.

16. Keith Mickunas

Keith Mickunas Cinematographer

Dan, I'd suggest you post a thread in here titled "Where in X should I buy speakers?" X being your hometown of course. That's basically what I did when I moved to Plano, and I got a bunch of good recommendations. You may even find a place to A/B bose with something else, I know such places in KC and Pensacola.

Now why is it that most people in this thread don't have their location listed? Is this some new trend? Am I missing out on something? Are crazed HT people going to start stalking me because I'm easy to locate?

17. EricK

EricK Second Unit

try Klipsch Quintets....400 for the 5 channels, and another 6-700 for a good sub, plus maybe a Denon 3802 for $1000.

Total $2100 for all and you'll have a kick ass system

Eric.

18. Brian Bunge

Brian Bunge Producer

ThomasL,

While I haven't heard the Sony system that has been mentioned, I would not totally rule out full range drivers across the board. There are some very good drivers out there that can actually play from 90Hz all the way up to 20KHz. There are advantages to not having a crossover at all.

Brian

19. EricHaas

EricHaas Supporting Actor

Also, look at combo "x" here:
    http://store.yahoo.com/htd/levthre51set.html
    These speakers have received very good reviews.
    For a receiver, I'd recommend the Onkyo tx-ds595, or 494. It is a good brand and user friendly for entry level people. You can find them for $360 and $265, respectively.
    BTW, I bet you haven't done many side by side speaker comparisons. Many people new to the hobby think they cannot tell the difference among components. Believe, you can and you will.