If not Bose, than what?????

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by TedO, Dec 16, 2002.

1. TedO

TedO Stunt Coordinator

First off this thread is NOT to trash Bose. We all know knocks toward them.

I have a few friends that want the small size of the Bose cube style systems for their home theater. They would like small speakers that would be easy to hide or would blend in well. In wall speakers are out of the question.

So here it is, everyone trashed Bose so much now it's time to actually pick a system that is better or equal to Bose. Keeping in mind cheaper than Bose with better sound is what I am looking for. Help me steer these people in the right direction.

TedO

2. RichardH

RichardH Supporting Actor

3. Sean M

Sean M Stunt Coordinator

Anthony Gallo Acoustics, if they prefer form over function. Not that they are bad sounding speakers, they're just the most stylish. The micros crush Bose cubes for looks and even come in a wide array of colors. www.roundsound.com
    Mirage Omnisats if they like the idea of direct reflecting technology. Bose's poor attempt at this can't compare to true omni-polar dispersion. www.miragespeakers.com
    Paradigm if they're willing to go a little larger and like direct radiating speakers. Any of their recommended systems up to System Three or Three.1 (with either the Titans or the Focus') should work. www.paradigm.com
    There's three alternatives for three different types of people. That doesn't count any of about a dozen other manufacturers that you have speaker packages in this price and size range.

4. Sean M

Sean M Stunt Coordinator

Oh, one more, it's one you can find just about everywhere. The Definitive Technology Pro Cinema 80, or possibly even the 100. You can get the 80's with sub for under a grand. They even come in white. www.definitivetech.com
    Well, just one more. I forgot the Energy Take 5.2. $899 for five speakers. Add a sub and you're set. Also comes in white.
    There's also the RBH CT-5/7 that has been getting good reviews. Just check out www.audiorevolution.com and look under their best of 2002 under $2000 speaker awards. There are more quality, small speaker systems than you can shake a stick at.

5. Yee-Ming

Yee-Ming Producer

Yee Ming Lim
    you can't go wrong with many of the suggestions already put out above.

another suggestion I would put forward is, if they're really not audiophile types, why not a basic HTiB? I started with one from Yamaha, and was quite happy with it. there are many attractive systems from Sony, Pioneer, Kenwood, JVC, even Samsung.

and before everyone starts jumping on me, remember the priority here is small and stylish, not primo sound. with those parameters, why not an HTiB that will match or outperform Bose, at a much much lower price?

6. TedO

TedO Stunt Coordinator

Yee-Ming,

Your right on track. Most friends that ask about the Bose are below average audiophiles. I know they would be happier in the $500-$1000 price range.

What about Cambridge Sound Works? They seem to give Bose some competition a few years ago.

TedO

7. Rory Buszka

Rory Buszka Supporting Actor

Someone couldn't help notice that the M&K speakers shouldn't even be suggested for someone who is looking to buy during the holiday season as they are not yet even on the market. All of these are still a lot larger than the Bose cubes.

Also here I will point out that the Bose can get ear-bleeding loud and the sound doesn't really change. (It's still weird frequency response but it doesn't smash it with much noticeable intermodulation distortion. I would expect them to lose their BMs but during a recent test (the other shoppers at Best Buy were wondering what the heck I thought I was doing, blasting such expensive speakers so loud) but they really surprised me in that area. And I understand their customer service is tremendous.

8. Yee-Ming

Yee-Ming Producer

Yee Ming Lim
    TedO:

I recall reading some reports that Cambridge Soundworks is a very affordable value-for-money set-up. What HiFi (the UK mag) reviewed it as part of a shoot-out between all-in-one systems, and although it's limitations are clear, for the price it was rated quite highly. naturally it lost out to Acoustic Energy's Aego5 system, but that was more than twice the price. I think you'd need to get a separate DVD player (as compared to, say, Sony's Dream systems), but even then price-wise I think it's the same, or even less.

and IIRC someone in another thread suggested that Cambridge Soundworks' performance matched Bose, or even bettered it. whether that's true or not I don't know, but what is undeniable is that Cambridge Soundworks is about 10% the price of Bose...

9. Steve WC

Steve WC Stunt Coordinator

10. Sean M

Sean M Stunt Coordinator

Rory, the Gallos are in the same size range, and are probably smaller than the Bose double Cube. Also, the RBH's and the Def Tech's aren't much bigger than the Bose double cube.

When speaking of the acoustimass, it is important to remember that the crossover is in the bass module and all sound must be routed through there. Once that's done, you're really only getting treble and midrange into the cubes. They're plenty big enough to produce those frequencies at high volume, as the bass remains in the bass module.

It's like playing a bookshelf speaker with a 2.5" tweet/midrange and a 5.25 to 6.5" woofer. There are three 5.25" mid/woofs (that's really what they are) in the bass module in a bass reflex enclosure to boost the output. There are plenty of bookshelfs with woofers in this size range that can outpace the acoustimass for output, just comparing a pair of speakers each.

Bottom line, if aesthetics are your top priority (and size is a part of this) get the Gallo's. They're better looking and can match your decor better. If you have other priorities, you have more options in selecting speakers.