If my TV upconverts everything to 1080i, do I need a progressive scan player ?

Discussion in 'Displays' started by anthony_b, Sep 17, 2003.

1. anthony_b

anthony_b Screenwriter

If my TV upconverts everything to 1080i, do I need a progressive scan player ?...In other words I can still use my interlaced player and let the TV's "circuitry" do the job ?..I ordered a JVC AV-48WP74,and the specs do not mention anything about progresive scan capabilities, only that it "upconverts" to 1080i....Or, if I purchase a progressive scan DVD player, will my TV accept a "progressive scan" playback thru the HDTV or DVI component inputs ?

2. Lew Crippen

Lew Crippen Executive Producer

It all depends on the TV and the DVD player. Some TVs have very good line doublers—the Sony XBR800 series for example is very, very good. Some DVD players progressive scan feature is better than others.

In general, it helps to have progressive scan.

Two newer DVD players now upconvert to 1080i and output through a DVI port. I have not seen this, but those who have DVI inputs for their TVs report very fine results. One can assume that more of these units will be available in the future.

3. John_F

John_F Stunt Coordinator

Could you explain this to me? From the original poster's question, I would imagine:

480i -> 1080i

would be better then:

480i -> 480p -> 1080i

Thanks,
    John Flegert (an ignorant DVD watcher)

4. anthony_b

anthony_b Screenwriter

from reading more carefuly the specs on the unit, the TV upconverts every source to 1080i except for whatever is fed to the DVI input. It will display whatever it's fed through it (480p or 720p ?).

5. Michael TLV

Michael TLV THX Video Instructor/Calibrator

Michael Chen
    Greetings

Depends a lot on the DVD player. Good 480P players output a superior 480P signal than the 480i signal. Cleaner and improved resolution.

If you feed the TV a "dirty" 480i signal, you will never get back the clean original signal that is 480P ...

The 1080i TV can take a clean or dirty signal and upconvert ... I choose the clean one.

Regards