If my TV is 1080i capable, what format should I send to it for the best picture?

Discussion in 'Displays' started by Derek B, Mar 5, 2004.

1. Derek B

Derek B Stunt Coordinator

My Pioneer SD-643HD5 is 1080i/480P capable. I have read some posts regarding this subject but I am still confused. If my DVD outputs a 480P what does the TV do with that signal? If my cable box outputs a 1080i what does the TV do? What settings would produce the best motion video. Sorry if I already posted a similar question in another post, but I am still confused.

This is what my TV spec says:

Dual Scan Capability----Automatically Detects Input Format (15.75, 31.5 and 33.75 kHz) and displays at 31.5 or 33.75 kHz

NTSC Conversion---Converts Interlaced NTCS 15.75 kHz (480i) to 31.5 kHz (480P) progressive display

Pure Cinema---I/P Conversion of Film-based Sources

Thanks,

2. Don_Berg

Don_Berg Supporting Actor

The Dual Scan Capability to me indicates your TV supports two native display rates: 480p and 1080i. So interlaced (480i) or a progressive DVD player (480p) should display as 480p - that would be the best for DVD sources. A HD STB or cable box with 1080i output would display with 1080i format without any rescaling, thats good too.

3. Derek B

So your saying it makes no difference whether I have my DVD set to output 480i or 480p, my TV will create the 480p? What would be the point of having a progressive scan DVD player if the TV creates the 480p?

Don't I want my DVD player to create the 480p since it is better at that? (Panasonic XP-30)

4. Cameron Yee

Cameron Yee Executive Producer
    Reviewer

Cameron Yee
    Depending on the equipment, the line doubler on the TV could be better than the player's ability to output progressive scan. The XP30 is supposed to be very good, so more than likely that will the preferable one to use.

5. Derek B

So if I set the DVD to 480p, what does the TV do, pass it through, or recreate 480p on its own?

6. Cameron Yee

Cameron Yee Executive Producer
    Reviewer

Cameron Yee
    It should recognize the progressive signal and pass it through. If you toggle progressive scan on the player you should see some kind of shift.

7. Steve Schaffer

Steve Schaffer Producer

Derek,

That set will display an incoming 480p signal natively, meaning unaltered. When you set the dvd player to 480p output the tv will not do any scanrate alterations to it.

Some makes (Toshiba and Hitachi among them) will not display 480p natively, but will convert it to either 540p or 1080i. Since this conversion is done digitally you're adding another analog to digital and back to analog conversion to the signal as the set is taking a 480p analog scanrate, digitally changing it to 540p or 1080i, then displaying it in the analog realm via the crts. As a general rule, the fewer such conversions the better.

Pioneer sets have among the best line doublers found in an HD ready set, but it only operates when the set is fed 480i, not 480p. The XP-30 has about the best de-interlacing going also.

8. greg_t

greg_t Screenwriter

Derek,

Everyone here has given you really good, correct information. I agree with Steve that the Pioneer 643 has a very good line doubler, it is essentially the pure cinema I from the older Elite models. The current Elites are using Pure cinema III, so the 643's doubler is a couple generations behind.

Like Steve and Cameron said, you will need to get a pretty good quality progressive player to top the line doubler that is in your 643. But there are better ones. The XP30 is a great choice. I use an XP30 with my Pioneer Elite 530 RPTV and I'm very happy with the image quality.