If my tv can do 1080i.... how can i use it?

Discussion in 'Displays' started by Josh_SR, Apr 13, 2003.

1. Josh_SR

Josh_SR Stunt Coordinator

Sup peeps....

i was just wondering how i can use my tv in 1080i just to see how it looks. what dvd player supprots 1080i? dose digital cable support 1080i? if so would i need a digital cable box to use it and do thay come with component/dvi outputs on the boxs?

2. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Moderator

No DVD player outputs 1080i through its (Y, Pb, Pr) outputs, the best you'll get to 480p (which most HDTVs can accept through its component input).

http://www.hometheaterforum.com/htfo...hreadid=133871

If you have Comcast digital cable, then you can request an upgrade to get a new digital/HDTV box (Comcast is mainly deploying the Motorola DCT-5100) to hook up to your HDTV-capable TV. The HD signals from the box are outputted through the 3 video lines (Y, Pb, Pr) and need to be connected to the inputs on the TV's component input (same Y, Pb, Pr). Then it's a matter of selecting the Component input on the TV, and tuning the DCT-5100 to the HD channels, which will vary from location to location. To get the HD channels, like Showtime-HD, and HBO-HD, you'll need to be subscribed to those premium channels on a monthly basis. The other local HDTV channels (highly dependent on local providers) should be free. There is an additional $5/month fee for the use of the DCT-5100 box from Comcast.

3. Josh_SR

Josh_SR Stunt Coordinator

hmmm so no dvd player can support more then 480p hu....... hmmmm ok thanks for the reply.