IF money was no object

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Vinny Petronio, Dec 8, 2001.

1. Vinny Petronio

Vinny Petronio Stunt Coordinator

What equipment would you own if money was not a factor in your purchase?

2. Scott-C

Scott-C Supporting Actor

If money was really no object (my fantasy world), I'd probably own a Lexicon MC-12B (I still hope to own one of these one day soon). Wouldn't mind having Mark Levinson monoblocks, and Dunlavy speakers wouldn't hurt my feelings either.

Is there really no budget here? Is this just a question for curiousity's sake or have you just won the lottery?

3. Vinny Petronio

lotto winner I wish, just want to see what people's replys will be as to the best of the best!!

4. Martice

Martice Screenwriter

I don't know Vinny. If money were no object, I would no doubt have a few highend systems. However, the word upgrade would no longer be in my vocabulary because I would just buy another system and place it in another room in my mansion. I can see that getting old and it wouldn't be long before I sold most of my sytems on Audiogon and retired to my favorite system and proceeded to grow old with it.

5. Arthur S

Arthur S Cinematographer

If one was rich enough to buy without regard to cost, the fun would be having the best of the best swapped in and out till I found what I liked the best. At this level, dealers gladly will let you try virtually every piece you could imagine in your mansion, till you settle on what you want. After all, how much profit do you think there is on a Krell at full retail? Not only that, but they will also be making a lot of money on the installation and wiring. 5 foot power cords for $8,000.

But OK, a mid size fantasy. Green Mountain Continuum II speakers, BAT amplfication, Lexicon MC12B prepro (lots of new stuff coming out for pre/pro that would be interesting choices). Aerial SW-12 sub, plus Velodyne HGS-18 sub. And to round things out, about $25,000 for the video equipment.

Oh yeah, room treatments....

6. Vinny Petronio

Krell would be my choice and the best B&W speakers that they have to offer.

7. Christian Speights

Christian Speights Stunt Coordinator

I would have the Totem Mani-2's. Probably would not have them in an HT but them is a fine speaker.

Oh, and a Vidikron projector or something.

8. McPaul

McPaul Screenwriter

Paul M
    If I had a ton of extra money, I would spend it on media. CD's and DVD's of all kinds, plus invest in construction of a room that was accoustically 'perfect' - if there is such a thing... I wouldn't go nuts with my gear. Probably get some Bryston-Dynaudio Contour system with Sony SACD, a 65" Toshiba Theaterwide with progressive DVD of some sort, and maybe an XBOX. (lots of media there too!).

So room and media first. actual gear second.

9. Vinny Petronio

Wow good choices

10. John Morris

John Morris Guest

Hell, if money was no object, I'd just buy Dreamworks, Pixar, and any other studio and production company that I wanted, and I'd make some movies. Then, maybe I'd buy both Coppola Vinyards and Skywalker Ranch to use their viewing rooms as my new HTs.... [​IMG]
    But, since to me money is always a consideration, if I hit the lottery, I'd get:
    - 7 Aerial 20T Speakers
    - Lexicon MC-12B
    - 5 Parasound HCA-3500 Amps
    - 2 SVS SS Subwoofer driven by K2
    - DWIN Transcanner
    - DWIN FP
    - All Solid Silver Cables
    - All the other gear I already have...
    - IN A DEDICATED HT ROOM
    At least I'd try this setup for awhile... [​IMG]

11. Vinny Petronio

Now this is really getting interesting!!!

12. Dustin B

Dustin B Producer

If money was no object. I'd have a room designed by the best guy to do it I could find. Then I'd higher a boat load of people with the skills necessary to build me a processor to my standards. It would be more like a computer with on screen menus to control everything. It would be a DVD player, line doubler scaler, HD sat receiver/PVR/decoder and anything else I could think of. Remote custom designed by moi.

It would have a huge bank of harddisks so that any CD I buy I could just store the songs I like uncompressed in it's organized database with loads of play back options. The hard disks would also allow me to record as many shows off Sat as I want at a time.

The computer would have complete control over the crossovers of the speakers. So in real time I could play with slopes and crossover points, all aspects of the crossovers between any set of drivers. I would have Newform Research go crazy building their dream ribon to be mated with a costum built 10" driver from ScanSpeak. Each speaker would have several of these ribons and several of these 10" drivers. The computer would have a bunch of fiber outputs that would go to a special box at each speaker that would sort out what was for each individual driver in the speaker. This would then get sent to the appropriate DAC (best I could get) which would then get feed to a Krell or Mark Levinson amp (one channel for each and every driver in the system). I would then have Seismic try and best there 8196HK driver, but appropriate for an inifinite baffel sub. I'd then get 8-16 of these drivers in an IB configuration.

Add to that getting Runco to build their ultimate front projector and screen.

Put it all together and I would be one happy camper. Mind you I would have spent enough money to feed several third world contries for several years :p)