If money is no problem....

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by Stelios, Nov 24, 2003.

1. Stelios

Stelios Stunt Coordinator

Hi

What would be the BEST receiver/speaker system you would buy, if money is no problem?

Stelios

2. JeffHunter

JeffHunter Stunt Coordinator

as in your have millions to spend ? ... or ...

3. Stelios

No millions but thousands JeffHunter!

Stelios

4. Andrew Pratt

Andrew Pratt Producer

if money isn't an issue why bother looking at a reciever? Go seperates[​IMG]

5. george_k

george_k Agent

If I had thousands, probably some pre/pro setup from bryston or classe depending on which sounded better to me.

If I had millions, I'd buy a club and hire my favorite bands to play live...who knowns I'd probably even make a return on ticket&drink sales.

6. Mat_M

Mat_M Stunt Coordinator

7. Robert Cowan

Robert Cowan Supporting Actor

if i had the cash, i would do the parasound halo. i would bi-amp the whole setup. for speakers, its up to your ear, but I would do maggies. probably 3.6's in the front and 1.6's in the rear. of course, this whole setup will be around $20K. BUT, when someone says price no object, we usually dont assume they are a liar [​IMG]

8. Stelios

9. Garrett Lundy

Garrett Lundy Producer

Stereo or Surround sound?

10. BrianAe

BrianAe Second Unit

Assuming good hometheater and 2 channel...
    Revel Ultima speakers (Salon, voice, and embrace)
    Bryston amps
    Lexicon MC-8B for home theater
    Some 2 channel pre to be named later.
    Modded Denon universal player (cd,dvd,sacd, dvd-a)

20-30k for the speakers
    10k+ for the electronics

You could spend more but I don't think you'd get much for it.

11. Dave Shepard

Dave Shepard Agent

wont you need a sub for the maggies? especally for HT.

12. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    If money was no object, I would rather spend the $$ on a nice 2ch system, likely tube separates, tube monoblock amps and any number of sweet speakers...maybe Aerial, Theil or custom (too many choices in the money is no object category of speakers, so I'd go listen to them all [​IMG] )

HT is fun, but of secondary importance to me. I'm happy with what I have right now for HT.

13. Philip____S

Philip____S Stunt Coordinator

When making my decision I didn't set an upper limit for total price. I chose the Parasound Halo C2 and A52 for electronics and Kef XQ series (XQ5 front, XQ2c center, XQ3 rear) for the speakers with an SVS sub From the right dealer this system with cables and power conditioner should run around 11k.

14. Rich Wenzel

Rich Wenzel Supporting Actor

for something realistic...

i would look at something like a 1066/1075 combo, 1080 for fronts, with triangle celius fronts, antal surrounds...and not sure on the subwoofer...

this would be expensive...but not excessively so...

if money was no object at all...

7 x BAT 600SE monoblocks
    BAT 31SE solid state 2 channel pre
    BAT 51SE tube 2 channel pre
    lexicon dc12, bel canto, marsh ht4000, krell, meridian, or the cary c8 or naim av2 (would have to really look into them)
    speakers, not sure...but vandersteen, B&K, Kef, Revel, Dynaudio, Wilson, JM Labs, Snell, and a few others would be on my list.

Rich

15. Kenneth Harden

Kenneth Harden Screenwriter

How about calling JBL and having something like the Synthesis system tailored to your needs? You know, upgraded woofers and all, let the fact they are part of the Harman group work for you, as in, cool amps and all.

16. Stelios

Hi guys
    Let me just clarify here. The system is not for me (I wish I had the money though) it's for a good friend of mine who is, lets say very very rich. He is buzy building a house(if you might call it a house) that will cost him about $10 million! He asked me if I can help him on this as he knows nothing about electronics and he doesn't trust dealers as, he thinks, they might sell him something just for the money. The budget he has allowed is about $50,000.
    For myself (the poor guy) I have ordered just the Sony STR-DA1000ES (STR-DB790 for Europe).
    The Revel Ultima speakers sounds a good choice to start.

Stelios

17. JeffHunter

JeffHunter Stunt Coordinator

18. Stelios

JeffHunter
    Thanks for the link. How do these speakers compare to the Revel Ultima ones? The HT series looks OK. I just have to find a price from a local dealer here or the UK.
    Any ideas on what receiver to get. I prefer a combined unit (if possible).

Stelios

19. Chu Gai

Chu Gai Lead Actor

Find three or four well-equipped audio places that also have knowledge in acoustics. Have them meet with your affluent friend to discuss both his needs and the room the system is go into. Likely he can spend some extra funds or redirect them into creating a room that brings out the best in whatever it is that he buys. A substantial amount of money like that should whet the appetite of most places and one should expect the competition between the places to make them a bit hungry.

This is not a trivial amount of money and one should enlist the aid of professionals. As far as your friend being concerned about being screwed by audio salespeople, all I can say is I'm sure the screws are already turning from the builders.

20. peter m. wilson

peter m. wilson Stunt Coordinator

Hi,

I'm no expert so I'll recommend what I have and what I've done.
    Every professional review I've read of the Denon 5803 7.1, 170w perch THX ULTRA II, says it now is good enough to compete with HighEnd sepatates and adds simplicity and flexibility.

I would wait for the new Denon (out in Feb 04). One of the attributes of the Denon is that it has 2 sets of analog in's (which is very rare), and your friend can get a pair of mltidisc separate dvd-a and sacd players and spend 5 grand on music.

The size of his room has alot to do with the speaker options he can entertain.

I'm a big Totem fan (Model 1 signatures all around,about $8000 CDN retail) but with his bucks the Mani-2 Signatures, (about double retail) 4ohm's would be my choice and if so I would add a powerful Outlaw 7 ch Amp (just because he has money doesn't mean we have to waste it) as the Denon will provide the sound the Outlaw the extra power needed for the Mani's (dual woofer in isobaric config).
    An excellent Subwoofer appropriate to the room. I have an NHT but there are now many excellent choices.

I would also recommend cables (power/interconnect/speaker in the mid price range.

A HTPC with a HOLO3D scaler and an sdi modded dvd player should also be used and can possibly be separate from the players used for HIREZ music.

I would also not hesitate to recommend the top of the line Lexicon pair because I've heard them and their also excellent but I can't speak to features but I'm sure their loaded (except for the 2 sets of analogs).

I haven't mentioned a digital connection for HIREZ music which is still a real boondoggle because that issue alone is highly contreversial.

There was no mention of display devices but a DVI (for sure) and possibly HDMI inputs would be recommended.

Your friend should absolutly hire a HAA certified tech to setup the sound and an ISF tech for video calibration.

Have fun,
    Peter m.