What's new

If its too good to be true then it probably is (1 Viewer)

Swami

Agent
I had a problem with a transaction right here on this forum. This guy says that he has an SPL meter in "like new" condition still in plastic bag he bought it in.

So I bought it. And it turns out to be atleast 3 years old. Thing is that it did come in the plastic bag he bought it in 3 years ago!

Well, live and learn.

Swami

Kevin Deacon

Second Unit
I sold a Nikon F4 camera for $1000.00 on Ebay. He paid through PayPal. The guy wants me to ship it to Malaysia. I tell him it will cost $200.00 more since I'm unsure of the duty, taxes, etc.. He pays me a total of 1250.00. I later get a fedex bill for $150.00. It must be expensive to import goods to Mayaysia. About two weeks later I get an email from PayPal concerning this transaction (I already collected my money). They call me and interview me about this guy who bought my camera and it appears he paid me with a fraudulant credit card. I was afraid they would try to make me give the money back. They didn't and I never heard whether they caugh the guy.

I bought a Parasound HCA-2003A amplifier from a guy on Ebay. Turns out he is local in Phoenix and I go to his work to pick it up. He works at a high end audio store and is so meticulous about this amp that he won't let me handle it in the store. He takes it out of the double box and plastic wrap and I see that the amp is in perfect shape, I pay him and he loads it into my car. No shipping fee and delivered to my car. Smokin deal.

TracyB

Grip
The post definitely wasnt trying to scare anyone from buying on Ebay but to be made aware of strategies that scammers use to blend in. The guy had 150+ feedbacks, only a couple of negatives which he responded with what seem like a legitimate excuse. But what it seems like he was doing was buiding up a good reputation on Ebay so when he ready to make his move he wouldnt have a problem selling his items. He was selling a bunch of five and dime items but when he made his move he was sellimg items retailing thousands of dollars. Iv sold items worth thousands of dollars on ebay myself. But they all came and got it. I was just a click away from being out of 1700 dollars. What saved me was I didnt have my credit card registered with Paypal and was going to do it the very next morning but then recieved the warning. Im only saying be careful because 95% of Ebay auctions are legit but that 5% can be costly

Wayne_T

Stunt Coordinator
One more thing to consider that lotta ebay dealers charge more shipping charges than actual cost
They sure as heck do! I bought a flash memory card for my camera. Shipping was $12, and the guy told me by email that it was via UPS. Came by USPS with a $1.60 stamp on it. On the one hand I can't complain because the listing was upfront about the $12 shipping charge, but I sure did feel ripped off. In future I'll insist on paying actual shipping costs or I won't buy.

Holadem

Senior HTF Member
I got a Denon 4802 for $1000. Definitely smelled too good to be true... I only went ahead with it because I could pick up. It's been working so far...

--
Holadem

RichardMA

Second Unit
Between the fraud and "buddies" shill bidding for
things, it's a wonder anybody gets any kind of deal off
Ebay. But, having done around 100 transactions, I can
say that none have been bad except my very first one.
Beware of estate sales. Often, the sellers know nothing
about what they are selling and cannot really specify
condition with much accuracy.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks