If its too good to be true then it probably is

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by TracyB, Jun 19, 2002.

1. TracyB

TracyB Extra

I won an auction on Ebay yesterday on a Sunfire TG11. The opening bid was 750 NR. Wasnt planning on buying it but I said what the hell. I bidded in the last two minutes and won. But something seems strange after I won, I immediately recieved a non Ebay email saying to pay with Paypal. I didnt do it thinking that was wield. The next day I got an email warning me about the guy. Well after looking at his 150+ positive feedbacks the day before I thought everything was cool. Then I checked again and he had 3 negatives pile up. They sent him payment but no response. I emailed his recent buyers and they all sent a payment except a couple and they havent heard anything. The 3 complaints turned into 10. Im not going to give you his name but you can find him in the completed Sunfire TG11 items. He must have be desperate for money all of a sudden. You live and learn

2. Matt Jesty

Matt Jesty Second Unit

ALMOST E-scr$#d !!!!

3. Newton

Newton Auditioning

I bid on a McCormack preamp before which listed for ~$1700. I quit bidding in the last 5 min since the winning bid was only at ~$900 and I got a funny feeling. A couple days later, I checked the sellers feedback and a bunch of negative feedback piled in too. So you gotta be careful about people with BS feedback. It was only because it seemed to good to be true, that I stopped bidding and I was right.

Same exact thing happened before when I bid on a Bryston 5BST that I was winning with ~$800 with 5min to go before I stopped bidding. It was won for ~$950. I posted on one of the other forums about whether or not they thought the auction was real and someone responded right away saying that I was being cheap and all that by not chasing the auction and buying it. I still wonder if he was the seller which of course turned out to be a scammer.

4. TracyB

TracyB Extra

Im assuming all of these folks should be able to get their money back if they used their cc but it was paid through Paypal. This guy must have gotten 15 to 20 thousand dollars in payments if not more. The safest way to buy anything is straight cc or some type of escrow which is to me the best way.

5. Brandon_T

Brandon_T Screenwriter

I hate to see these types of post, because it makes experiences like mine more and more rare. Just over a year ago I won an Anthem MCA5 on ebay for $500 + shipping. I wasn't sure at first if it was legit, but 5 days later I had the amp in my hand. Wish more of them turned out this way.

Brandon

6. Ron Reda

Ron Reda Cinematographer

7. Kimmo Jaskari

Kimmo Jaskari Screenwriter

In answer to the first post, it's much more likely either that this guy has knowingly built up a history of successful auctions on low-value items in order to be able to to con a bunch of people into "buying" more high ticket items from him now.

Another option is that someone else has managed to hijack the original owners account and done changes to it and is using the previous owners positive feedback as a lure to, again, getting people to fork over as much money as possible before his feedback gets jammed with negatives.

Auctions can be great or they can be bogus, but if you stick to common sense procedures you can at least minimize your risk.

8. Greg Haynes

Greg Haynes Supporting Actor

Some good stories here, I've bought and sold alot of stuff from ebay and so far I haven't gotten burned yet. *Knock on wood*
    Brandon,
    That was one hell of a great price on the Anthem. Good Looking [​IMG]

9. Kevin C Brown

Kevin C Brown Producer

Wow, something to be learned.
    Here's one of my bad ebay experiences:
    Bid on a Velodyne HGS-12. I didn't trigger the reserve price even at $1200 (my last bid). (He said 1 year used; new ones at that point went for $1400 or so.)
    So stupidly, I offered to do a non-ebay transaction for my max bid of $1200. He took it. Got the sub, and it worked perfectly, but the manufacture date on the back? 3 years earlier.
    He honestly said that he had only purchased it 1 yr previous (but couldn't find the receipt, yeah right...), but I find it hard to believe that, a) a sub like this sat at a dealer for over 2 yrs, and, b) that he wouldn't think ahead of time that I wouldn't question the date on the back when I got it even though I was emphatic before the sale of finding out how old it was.
    So, I was convinced he purposefully set the reserve so high it *wouldn't* sell, banking on doing an off-ebay transaction for more than he could have gotten if he had been honest about how old it was.
    So I turned around, sold it *honestly* for $1150, and bought be a brand spanking new one for $1400. Lesson learned and, in the end, I was happy.
    Just for balance: 2 quick good ebay stories:
    1) Sold a DAT deck. The dude who bought it was local, picked it up. He *gave* me a headcleaner tape. He came across a box of them at his job, and obviously wasn't going to use them himself. DAT deck sold for like $275; the headcleaner tape was worth $10 more!
    2) Bought a batch of albums from someone. He *returned* some of the money I gave him for shipping because it turned out cheaper than he thought it would be. That really floored me! [​IMG]

10. Tim_S

Tim_S Stunt Coordinator

11. Rick Guynn

Rick Guynn Second Unit

My one interesting story involves a guitar. I bid on a guitar that normally was worth $1500+ in new condition. This one had some cosmetic damage but was structurally and functionally fine. The high bid ended up being $750 (I won) but reserve was not triggered. Well, after a few e-mails, I got it for $750 shipped AND he threw in the matching hardshell case. I love that guitar, it sounds really nice...

RG

12. James Bergeron

James Bergeron Supporting Actor

There are a few scammers, but a couple of years ago I bought concert tickets from a guy over ICQ (odd eh?) Anyways, this guy ICQ's me out of nowhere asks if I wanted concert tickets, I sent him a money order he sent me the tickets, I never got them! I told him I never got him, he was like well I sent them, so I began to wonder. Then the concert was cancelled! He got his money back on his credit card! AHHHHHH, but he was nice enough to send me back the money order I sent him (which he never cashed because I hadn't received the tickets) and I cashed the cheque and all was good.

That was a close call for sure!

13. Kevin Parker

Kevin Parker Stunt Coordinator

One more thing to consider that lotta ebay dealers charge more shipping charges than actual cost, I bought these Acoustic Research AR215PS bookshelves and the guy charged me $30 for shipping by fedex, and when I checked fedex site after receiving the speakers they only charge $16, so guys make sure that you check shipping charges before bidding.

14. Andrew_Ballew

Andrew_Ballew Second Unit

As a legit E-bay seller these kinds of stories royally piss me off. Now, I am not going to say I am a perfect seller- sometimes things do come up and it might take an extra day or two to ship an item- but all in all I run a very reputable, and tight ship, especially since I sell very high-dollar items- home theater front projectors.

Guys like me lose business over this kind of crap. Just yesterday it was reported in our local news that a guy had stolen around $25,000 from E-bayers by supplying broken parts, and sometimes nothing at all. The interesting thing is, I know him! Saw his name in the paper and realized I went to high school with him. He was a scammer back then- too.

Anyway- all in all E-bay is a reputable and safe community. I just wish the few bad apples would stop spoiling it for the rest of us.

Cheers

Andrew B.

15. Rick Guynn

Rick Guynn Second Unit

Andrew,

I don't think this thread is meant to scare anyone off from E-Bay. (I posted one of the good stories) I think it is meant to help make people aware that they should be extra careful when dealing with online private purchases, especially when the money starts to become a significant number.

RG

16. Stephen Houdek

Stephen Houdek Second Unit

S
    I too had a close call on a guitar.....A MIM Fender Strat I won for $225. I exchanged emails with him for a few days regarding payment and shipping and everything seemed fine.

I send him the money and after three weeks of no response to emails I called his local police department.

The very next day the guitar arrives via UPS. So, I called the police department back and call off their investigation. (They were very helpful BTW)

The day after receiving the guitar I receive an email from him telling me his email was down for quite a while and he's sorry he didn't respond. So, yes things to happen unexpectedly. I was glad the police didn't hunt him down more quickly......

17. Newton

Newton Auditioning

Andrew_Ballew is right in that the 'rotten apples' do probably cost the legitimate sellers sales. I am hesitant to bid on items unless they take credit cards or have feedback well into the 100's. And so I pass on a lot of items that I may be interested in because I won't risk getting scammed. I think that I'm an average person, so there's gotta be tons of people just like me out there too. And this probably does adds up to a lot of people doing window shopping but no sales because of scammers out there. And there are the people who won't even look at sites like EBAY because of the fear of getting scammed. It's a shame, but the few rotten apples do kinda hurt sales for everyone, especially the smalltime sellers who can't take credit cards.

18. Paul_Fisher

Paul_Fisher Screenwriter

19. Mike Veroukis

Mike Veroukis Second Unit

Michael
    Yeah, you really have to be careful but in general I think it's pretty safe. I tend to prefer buying things from Canada as I feel it's easier to pursue someone if they are living in the same country as I am (plus I don't have to worry about duty fees). However, I have bought a complete computer system from some guy in the states for around USD$800. What I did was send him a partial payment and he sent me half the computer parts. Once I got them I sent him the rest of the payment and he sent me the rest of the computer & monitor (which ended up getting banged up on transport so UPS bought me another monitor which also got banged up, so they bought me a third monitor which worked! - what a nightmare!).
    So far I've had no problems purchasing on ebay. I've bought other computer parts, car parts and an old Soviet whiskey flask with the KGB emblem on it without problems (well, except when UPS was involved [​IMG] )!
    - Mike

20. Ron-P

Ron-P Producer

Ron
    I made the largest ebay purchase two weeks ago. A guy had put up 5 Adcom GFA-535 stereo amps up with a buy it now feature of $100/ea. I bought 3 (should've bought all 5, oh well). With packing and shipping it totaled out at $371.
    We exchanged e-mails many times and a phone call also. I was very nervous when I dropped that cashiers check in the mail. Risky yes. He had 48 excellent feedbacks with no negatives.
    Well, a week later, 3 huge boxes showed up. The amps were very well packed and in excellent condition and now reside in my component rack, SEE
    The auction experience was excellent, but I doubt I will make another large transaction like that for quite some time. It was a bit of a nerve-racking week. It was a too good to be true deal, just glad it turned out to be true.
    Peace Out~[​IMG]