If ISF is 100%, then ...

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Bruce White, Mar 11, 2002.

1. Bruce White

Bruce White Stunt Coordinator

Dec 5, 2001
    I'm still putting together my HT system. All I need for now is a good RPTV. I've been doing the research and have read a lot about having an ISF tech come in and properly calibrate the TV.

Assuming ISF calibration puts at TV at 100% optimum, what % of optimum would you give the use of the Avia DVD. If a person did the tweaking recommended by Avia, how close to the 100% optimum would they get? 50%, 75%, what?

Thanks in advance for any input!

2. Kevin P

Kevin P Screenwriter

Jan 18, 1999
    If you do just the basic Avia adjustments (brightness, contrast, sharpness, saturation, hue) - 25%

If you get into advanced stuff - geometry, convergence, electronic and mechanical focus, turning off SVM, adjusting gamma, Y/C delay, blah blah blah (most of these require you to open the set and/or access the set's service menus) - 70%

About all that's left (remaining 30%) after all this is greyscale calibration, which requires a color analyzer or comparator. It's best to leave that to an ISF.