What's new

If I Were Toshiba... (1 Viewer)

Jesse Skeen

Senior HTF Member
I'm glad I DIDN'T get into DVD in March 1997, because then I would have been stuck with a player that couldn't output DTS!

Steve Tannehill

R.I.P - 4.28.2015
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Steve Tannehill

I don't play games of semantics.

I'd love to see a source for those proposed sales figures for a PS3, because I don't think they are realistic considering rumored prices of even $400, and the probable prices of even more. Thus, BD will be "languishing" in the same "limited" pool of HDTV households... Oh, and don't forget those Xbox 360's with the HD-DVD add-on. Talk about an install base.

- Steve

Ryan-G

Supporting Actor

Sure you do. You've neglected to note the low installed base of HDTV compared to future installed base, you've neglected to note that BR will be at price parity with HD-DVD when the installed base increases, you've neglected to note that PS3 gives them a greater installed base than what HD-DVD can possibly have because PS3 will be present when people convert to HDTV, you've neglected to note that the entire computer industry will shift to BR because of capacity. You even neglect to note that an X-box 360 + Add-on Player will cost...around $400, and unlike the PS3 the add-on player doesn't do anything for games, which makes it a pretty poor choice.

Your entire arguement has been semantics.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Doesn't it seem reasonable think all the same people that had to buy an HD-DVD player the second that it was available will do the same thing when Blu-Ray (even via PS3) becomes available? That'll only add to the number of Blu-Ray players out there.

No matter what the price, PS3 will sell like crazy. Personally, I'll be waiting for an actual BR player but video game nerds will sell plasma if need be to get PS3. :)

Steve Tannehill

R.I.P - 4.28.2015
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Steve Tannehill
Well, that sure set me straight.

If you'll excuse me, I have some high-definition discs to watch.

- Steve

Paul Anthony

Stunt Coordinator
Well, I think life is too short to wait, and wait, and wait till the next big thing. I'm currently having a ball watching "Apollo 13", and enjoying listening to it on Dolby Digital Plus (BTW, Dolby TrueHD is amazing on "Phantom" even though it's 2-channels, it's still a revelation!) on HD-DVD.

I say, bring on the HD-DVD's and Blu-Ray's, life is too short to wait, and wait, and wait...

Lew Crippen

Senior HTF Member
I don’t know about games, but for sure there is a very big difference (at least in my mind) between ‘wins’ and ‘has the edge’.

No doubt a real product regardless of real or perceived problems has the edge compared to one that is not on the market. I suggest that the race is not over until all the horses are on the course. Especially as I don’t see this as a sprint, but rather a stakes race of some considerable distance. (just to continue your analogy). :)

Brent M

Senior HTF Member

You can use that justification for anything if you really want to, but I'd prefer to be practical rather than impulse buying something just because "I might die tomorrow". If that's the case, maybe I should go buy that Ferrari I'm always dreaming about.

LarryH

Supporting Actor
In my mind I think BR is better, but HD-DVD is here now at less than half the price. I do find the $1000-$1800 price for BR daunting. That's one reason I bought the HD-DVD now. I can enjoy hi-def starting right now. When BR comes down to $500 I'll have paid off my HD-DVD and can buy BR, too. I'll not have spent any more money to enjoy hi-def for many months and then have the advantage of both formats so I can watch the few titles restricted to BR. I don't know or care which format "wins." I just hope they don't both lose. I still love, buy and enjoy SACD's, so how irrational am I?

PeterTHX

Senior HTF Member

Well, you saw how well having 2 incompatible formats with split market support did for SACD...

Steve Tannehill

R.I.P - 4.28.2015
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Steve Tannehill

Yeah, I just bought the five new Moody Blues SACD releases from amazon.co.uk. They are great.

- Steve

Ed St. Clair

Senior HTF Member
Their going to sell their "PLASMA" displays to get the get the (posted on this page) $400 PS3?!?!?!?! ;-)

PeterTHX

Senior HTF Member
Yeah, I just bought the five new Moody Blues SACD releases from amazon.co.uk. They are great.

Yeah. From Amazon UK. I just bought the Beyonce SACD from Japan (and thank your lucky stars they aren't region coded). Now, show me the stateside releases. Heck, show me *any* releases the general public might be interested in.

Point is split support is going to kill these formats.

Steve Tannehill

R.I.P - 4.28.2015
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Steve Tannehill

Doesn't matter. I am stateside and I was able to acquire them. Nice and shiny SACD's.

Point is, as long as product is available, the format is viable.

- Steve

Paul_Scott

Senior HTF Member

people have different priorities in regards to how, and where, they want to listen to their music. i don't find this analogous to movie watching at all.
the ipod was a huge success- UMD has not been.

on the other hand, many people own several competeing game platforms.

Ed St. Clair

Senior HTF Member
Steve,
I am all for HiDef music as well.
I will agree SA-CD is alive. However, doing well?
New vinyl outsells both HD on disc music formats combined.
Think of it this way...
Would you want BD to be only as available, with as many monthly/yearly releases as SA-CD?

How much did you have to pay for each disc w/shipping?

Ed St. Clair

Senior HTF Member
Awesome!
Link please.
I heard people were paying like $35US for Roxy Music discs from Europe & even more for Santana discs from Japan.

Oh, by the way...
"If I Were Toshiba" I would release a ultra-multi as fast as possible!!!
With DVD-A & SA-CD, to boot.

To hell with format wars.

Something Sony would, most likely, never do. Therefore. Tosh could sell to HD DVD, SA-CD & BD fans alike. While no one that is a fan of DVD-A or HD DVD would/could ever, most likely, buy a Sony playback unit.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks