If I were to upgrade from the LSi.... what should I get?

Discussion in 'Speakers & Subwoofers' started by Joey_V, Jun 11, 2005.

1. Joey_V

Joey_V Second Unit

I'm actually having a little difficulty searching for the possible "next" speaker. Lets say between 1000-1500$ is my budget for a pair of good speakers. I prefer bookshelves since I need to move them around from my apartment to the home.

Give me ideas of which speakers I should look out for. I have LSi9 (and LSi7 for rears) for mains right now.

I have an SVS PC+ subwoofer to anchor the low end.

Thanks!

Joey

2. Kenneth Harden

Kenneth Harden Screenwriter

Honestly, you will have a hell of a project on your hands to get a big improvement in sound as what would have is already awesome.

What do you have driving them? That might be the first step.

If not, just get:

[​IMG]

This:

And be done with it...forever [​IMG]

Seriously, your speakers would probably benefit from a very good pre/pro/amp combo.

3. Lewis Besze

Lewis Besze Producer

Let's just say I would never replace my LSIs with those Klipshes.
    To me the only better choice in that price level would be a pair of Magnepan 1.6 QR but they are at $1699. Can get em cheaper on the used market though.

4. Joey_V

Joey_V Second Unit

What about the Onix Reference 1 or the perhaps the SOnus Faber Concerinos? I could possibly fit into the budget the Concertos.

5. Mark Russ

Mark Russ Second Unit

NHT. Not a lot more money (if any), but definitely an upgrade. The M6 monitor part (top portion) of the T6 tower system just caused the T6 to get a class A rating from Stereophile. They are listed $600 each, and can be found even cheaper.

6. VinhT

VinhT Second Unit

For a stand-mounted speaker in that fairly wide price range, my recommendation is the B&W 705. It will be a significant improvement. However, the 705 is a tad lean when it comes to upper-bass output, so depending on how you like your bass tuning, the 705s may not be right for you.

7. Joey_V

Joey_V Second Unit

What about the Onix Reference 1? Those seem to be along the level of the LSi9 - it should be an interesting matchup.

Anyone agree? Anyone here recommend the Ref 1s?

8. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    I like the NHTs a lot. IMO, they're easily better in the midrange. The highs are a bit brighter, but overall, I'd probably choose the M6.

If you push the budget just a bit, I'd go listen to the Joseph Audio RM7Si Signatures. Surprisingly, a lot of bass and a midrange that is so clear it's not even funny. Very smooth, clear highs just like the LSis.

Next, I'd say look at some kits like the GR Research A/V-1 or A/V-2 or Adire Kit 61 or Kit LCR.

9. Lewis Besze

Lewis Besze Producer

I've yet to hear any NHTS that I liked, I haven't heard this one though, so who knows....

10. Joey_V

Joey_V Second Unit

Thanks for your insight Lewis!

Keep 'em coming guys! [​IMG]

11. Steve_D

Steve_D Second Unit

If you like those Lsi's, I agree it will be tough. The Studio 40 comes to mind because its my all time favorite reasonable monitor. If you like a Dynaudio like sound, ACI Sapphires may be your thing.

I agree with the other guy, your $1500 may be better spent on something else.