*IF* I were to buy a Tivo...

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Neil_S, Feb 19, 2001.

1. Neil_S

Neil_S Stunt Coordinator

I swear... You'd think this thing could cure all know diseases AND cook dinner based on the reactions of people who own them...
    If I were to purchase one, what would you people recommend? How many hours? I don't have satellite so it would be a stand alone. Should I get the cheap one and then hack it myself (I'm not afraid to take things apart). Someone mentioned wanting Tivo to activate the second tuner... What would this accomplish?
    I HATE my VCR and wouldn't mind getting a cheap one (but then the subscription will cost a lot =( ) and then adding a new or larger hard drive later.
    Any thoughts?
    Thanks!!!

2. Mike Lang

Mike Lang Stunt Coordinator

The 2nd tuner is in the DTV combo box so forget that. I'd say if you're ok with adding a drive, get the less expensive unit and hack it after you read up on the procedure.
    ------------------

3. Scott Dautel

Scott Dautel Second Unit

The choice is easy ... For a 1st time TiVo-ite with no DBS Satellite, I would go for the Sony model SVR2000 SA. This is a 30-hr stand alone ... heres a pic:
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    After exhaustive Forum debate (& at the risk of flames) ... the consensus seems to be that TiVo has a better user interface than ReplayTV and the Sony TiVo has a few extra features over the Phillips. Besides, ReplayTV is exiting the consumer market, so there is already availability issues.

4. Al Pearson

Al Pearson Auditioning

Get a refurb off www.ubid.com cheap to see if you like it...then you can hack it up to 100 hours or so. Ver 2.0 software is being rolled out now and its an automatic upgrade. You will like TIVO

5. Mike Lang

Mike Lang Stunt Coordinator

2.0 is not being rolled out yet. With the small exception of a test rollout (400 users) it is still in late beta.
    ------------------