What's new

If I want surround sound for Xbox, what kit(s) do I need to buy? (1 Viewer)

Lanny_B

Second Unit
I'd like to order one online right now if I can find one. But I'd like to know, what are my options? Are there good packages and bad packages, or just one Xbox package, or what? Can I buy the video and audio seperately?

I need a video out and an optical audio cable, and some kind of kit, right? For now, for the video I need composite video, but in the future I'd like to move up to S-Video or Component. For audio, I guess my receiver has an optical audio in and a digital coax in. Basically what do I buy? (if you feel like listing links too, that'd be awesome)

Thanks.

Lou Sytsma

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lou Sytsma
The XBox has only 1 output for audio and video. If you buy the S-Video or the Component pack - each provides an optical out only for digital sound.

Jeffrey Forner

Screenwriter
There are two basic options at your disposal right now: The Advanced A/V pack and the Hi-Def pack. Both options include an optical audio connection for 5.1 Dobly Digital sound. The Advanced A/V pack gives you two options for video, composite and S-Video. This is the one you should buy.

The Hi-Def pack only features component video outputs, making them useless in your system at the moment. If you upgrade to an HDTV in the near future, you will have to replace the Advanced A/V pack with this one in order to have 480p and any HD video future Xbox games may provide.

If you want cables of a higher quality, Monster Cables does make interconnect for the Xbox. I would also take a look at those if you believe cables can make a difference.

TommyL

Supporting Actor
I have Ar pro cables(not the best buy cheapies) and they work sweet with the xbox on a 55" hdtv...save your cash on monster...grab these for 1/2 the price:)

Sean Moon

Senior HTF Member
DO the AR attach to the HD box or Svideo box, or do AR make an Xbox interconnect? I didnt know they did.

But I noticed a HUGE difference with the Monster cables. The MS packs arent shielded from interference, and I got plenty when using them. Also, with Monster you have to buy their optical cable to get digital, which I didnt like. I just saw on their website though that you can order a COAX adapter for about $15 though.

Lanny_B

Second Unit
Could anyone link me to an online store with the A/V pack you're talking about? I found this one on buy.com, but I bet it's just the cheapies. Where's the AR pro ones you're talking about?

Lanny_B

Second Unit
I just got back from the store, and I have a problem:
I wrong or is there no way to composite video and surround sound?
I have no video input on my TV for S-Video or Component, and none of the packages seemed to have composite video.
I just bought the Monster S-Video A/V package at the store, and I'm looking at the package and not seeing a composite video out. There were two Monster packages: the S-Video one and the Component video one and it looks like neither of them has composite video too, or am I wrong?
So what do I do if I want surround sound? Are the AR Pro ones different? Is there still a way to use these Monster ones that I can't figure out? I would like that to be the case.

Sean Moon

Senior HTF Member
Monster makes a composite cable...not too sure if it has the Digital out though. The advanced Svid pack by microsoft has composite out on it though.

Lanny_B

Second Unit
There it is. I went to a different store and they had the Monster composite cables for Xbox, but, no, it didn't include S-video too. That would be okay with me, but I decided to wait on the monster cables (returned them) and just buy the microsoft ones that have S-vid and composite. If there's a better one out there that's a better value, I'm all ears.

Tom V

Grip
I have the same type of question? I want to get Progressive out of my X Box for games that support it. Do I use the Microsoft HDTV pack or can I get the Progressive output with the Monster Cable pack, I know they cost more, but they are insulated better. So which cables do people use? Can you get Progressive output from the Monster Cables without having to buy the Microsoft HDTV pack as well?

Thanks Tom

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks