If I Use the ac outlets on the back of my amp does it affect my receivers power?

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by Chris Grillo, Sep 5, 2003.

1. Chris Grillo

Chris Grillo Stunt Coordinator

Hi! Like it says above i was wondering if it affects the rec. power output. I here alot about power supplies here and i don't want to put any stain from an outside source on it! [​IMG]

2. James Edward

James Edward Supporting Actor

As long you use it only for sources- DVD or CD player, turntable, tuner, etc., you will be fine. You should not use that outlet for a powered sub or power amp.

3. Chris Grillo

Thanks, I am currently using it with my powered sub. does it draw too much and take away from my rec. power? Should i change and plug it into the power strip?

4. James Edward

Yes.

5. Chris Grillo

So do you think I will see a increase of my rec's Power at higher volumes when I disconnect the subs a/c from it? Also I am looking for A more technical reason that I should not do it! I have just changed it and i believe you i am just tring it get a little more info on why:-}!

6. James Edward

Actually, you are more likely robbing power from the sub- those outlets usually specify how much they are rated for, and I'll bet the sub is capable of drawing more.

As for a more technical reason, I'm not the guy- I just know it is not a good idea.

7. Chris Grillo

First Off Thank You for your response! I will try to play some movies that I know well and see if I notice anything :-} If anyone else out there can explain why please let me know Thanks[​IMG] !

8. James Edward

Chris- I've obviously got a lot of free time...

I just checked a couple of receivers:

NAD T752- the back outlet states: 120w 1 amp maximum.

Onkyo TX-SR700- also, 120w, 1 amp maximum.

I'm certain your sub draws more than this. The back panel of your sub should have this info.

9. Chris Grillo

I have a Sony da4es same spec!120w 1 amp maximum
    I have a Boston VR500 sub i am looking for the draw as I type looks like the fuse is set as AC Fuse 2a/250v ? not sure if it's the same thing? what do you think?

10. Thomas Smailus

Thomas Smailus Stunt Coordinator

Your probably NOT drawing power from your reciever, as those are just switched outlets that are turned on by the receiver.

As such, they are activated by a relay - and thus have a maxiumum current load they can carry through that relay. Thus the ratings. Exceed the ratings a fuse should blow, but the current draw should in NO WAY affect the current available/used by your receiver for its internal consumption (power amp, etc). (Assuming the house circuit you have it all connected to can, of course, handle the load, but you would likely be using that same circuit even if you didn't use the switched outlets on the receiver.)