If I trip a single fuse...

Discussion in 'Home Theater Projects' started by Robert Hoffman, Jun 7, 2005.

1. Robert Hoffman

Robert Hoffman Stunt Coordinator

...And I lose power to 3 air conditioners plugged into different outlets in 3 different rooms in addition to all of my stereo equipment (which is plugged into 3 different outlets in the living room) does that mean that everything is running on one single 15 amp line?

I'm a little worried I might need to call the building manager and request an electrical upgrade (which of course won't happen). I'm a total novice when it comes to this kind of stuff.

Thanks,
    Rob

2. Travis_R

Travis_R Stunt Coordinator

the answer sounds like Yes, If all that stuff goes off at once when the breaker pops, and then comes back on once you turn the breaker back on, then the answer is definitally yes, you could try to upgrade the breaker to a 20 amp but I wouldnt recommend that, as if it doesnt blow the 20 it may heat the wires up to much and create an electrical fire, thats why we have breakers, I feel your pain though, My house was wired by chimpanzees and I have since reran alot of my stuff, I now have a 20 amp breaker that is dedicated to my stereo equipment only, no light flickers here

3. Mike LS

Mike LS Supporting Actor

I can't tell from your post, but are you having problems with that circuit tripping on it's own, or are you just concerned about having that much on it at once? If it's not overloading the circuit don't worry about it.

Otherwise, if you're renting, you'll probably just have to take one of those A/C units off that circuit because you're right...they aren't going to upgrade since it's not a problem with the wiring, it's just that you have so much on one circuit.

4. Robert Hoffman

Robert Hoffman Stunt Coordinator

The circuit did trip, so now I'm trying to figure out what to do. As best I can tell, one circuit can't handle two 6000 btu air conditioners, a 10,000 btu air conditioner, a Rotel 200x5 amp, the 525 watt amp in my subwoofer and a 1200 watt iron (!). Not to mention my TV, pre/pro, DVD player, CD player, computer, etc.

I hadn't really explored the electrical situation in the apartment (mostly out of ignorance and not wanting to discover a problem). But now that I have a little better understanding, I guess it's time to solve the problem.

I think two of the bedrooms might actually have 2 circuits in them (I know mine does, not sure about the other, as only half the room lost power when the circuit tripped), so hopefully I can move the 2 6,000 btu air conditioners off of the circuit that runs the stereo. That in itself may solve the problem completely (problem of tripping circuit, the problem of not getting all the power I need to my amp for the best sound is another issue).

While it won't be ideal, I don't think my Rotel will realistically draw more than 800-1000 watts in total for near reference levels with my speakers (evidently it can peak at 1600 with low speaker resistance and all channels driven). So hopefully, I should be able to run all my other equipment (plus Rotel) and the 10,000 btu A/C unit without issues. We might have to plug the 1200 watt iron into a different socket [​IMG]