If i said ..... you would recommend....

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Jassen M. West, Feb 5, 2002.

1. Jassen M. West

Jassen M. West Supporting Actor

Jun 22, 2000
    I am currently really into classic Led Zepplin some Pink Floyd and old Aerosmith. I need ideas as to what else i might be interested in. Or what else is good from that time period.

2. Jeff_A

Jeff_A Screenwriter

Mar 6, 2001
    Off the top of my head, I would offer these suggestions. I don't have access to my own collection right now, so I will have to add some more later today.
    Bad Company: Bad Company
    Black Sabbath: Volume 4
    Deep Purple: Machine Head
    Heart: Little Queen
    Montrose: Montrose
    Ursa Major: Ursa Major
    The Who: Who's Next
    If you are indeed listening to classic Aerosmith, you MUST give Rocks a spin. [​IMG]
  3. Mikael Soderholm

Mikael Soderholm Supporting Actor

Apr 5, 1999
    Mikael Söderholm
    Great recommendations (with maybe the exception of Rocks, IMHO, the records made before that album are the real classics, YMMV [​IMG])
    Also check out the first couple of ZZ Top albums, more of the early Deep Purple stuff, maybe Cream as well...
  4. RicP

RicP Screenwriter

Feb 29, 2000
    Foreigner, Black Crowes (Shake your money maker), Certainly The Who, Cream, Early Van Halen, Black Sabbath.

If you like a Zeppelin-esque band with some 80's metal thrown in, then try Whitesnake.

Then of course there's the ultimate Led Zeppelin sound-alike band.... Kingdom Come
  5. Mike Broadman

Mike Broadman Producer

Aug 24, 2001
    Black Crowes- Shake Your Moneymaker, Southern Harmony and Musical Companion, Live at the Greek
    The Black Crowes are were a band (just broke up) that was rooted in a southern, bluesy, classic rock sound. At their best, they have lots of catchy hooks, cool grooves, and wonderful vocals. Their first two albums, listed above, feature their strongest songs. Amorica is a bit more experimental but very good as well, and By Your Side was "return to roots" album for them, also pretty good. Three Snakes and a Charm has people divided. I don't like it. Their last one, Lions, is pretty bad.
    If you like Zeppelin, The Crowes toured with Jimmy Page and released Live at the Greek. They play mostly Zeppelin tunes and some straight blues, too.
    Deep Purple- In Rock, Fireball, Machine Head, Live in Japan, Who Do You Think We Are
    The second best English hard rock blues band. Just great stuff all around. They had many different lineups come and go, but the albums listed above are from their classic era.
    AC/DC- High Voltage, Let There Be Rock, Highway to Hell, Back In Black
    Stripped down bar rock at its best. Chunky, groovy, infective no-nonsense "high voltage rock and roll."
    Cream- The Very Best of Cream
    The classic English blues supergroup. IMO, the albums are erratic, and this compilation does an excellent job of picking out the best stuff.
    The Faces
    I don't know much about them, but I know they're a big inspiration for the Black Crowes and that whole 70s blues-ish soul rock.
    The Jeff Beck Group
    The legendary guitarist headed a rock band in the early 70s with Rod Stewart singing. Some original songs, some blues covers, and lots of tasty playing.
    The Rolling Stones- Hot Rock, Sticky Fingers
    The original sleaze rock band. At their best, nobody out-rocked them. At their worst, they were boring and lost. That's why I gotta go with the compilation Hot Rocks (though I'm sure there are plenty of Stones fans ready to jump at my throat for that [​IMG] ).
    King's X- Out of the Silent Planet, Gretchen Goes to Nebraska, King's X, Dogman
    Current 3-piece rock band, playing since the late 80s. Great sound, lots of chunky riffs and rollicking grooves, duel vocals, harmonies and just fantastic songs. Necessary listening for any rock fan.
    The Yardbirds, John Mayall's Blues Breakers
    Worth looking into if you're interested in the origins of English rock in the late 60s and 70s.