If I play a 5.1 channel on a 6.1 receiver, what does the rear speaker do?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Lanny_B, Oct 8, 2002.

1. Lanny_B

Lanny_B Second Unit

Does the rear speaker:
    a. play a mixture of both the rear channels?
    b. stay silent and worthless?
    c. still try and calculate it's own channel anyway?

Likewise, what if I play a 7.1 track on my 6.1 speakers?
    BTW, I'm using an Onkyo SR600

2. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    The first three are completely dependent on how you choose to play back the material. A 5.1 receiver will normally play that material in 5.1, but in most cases can be switched to use the 6th as well. It will not do this on it's own, you will have to select the option. When told to, the rear channel will be a blending of information extracted from the others.

7.1 material does not exist.

3. Vince Maskeeper

Vince Maskeeper Producer

With Dolby EX- 6.1 is just an effect applied to 5.1 tracks anyway- so you can engage this effect process any time and get "6.1". So, if a track is 5.1, you can still kick on the 6.1 process and get some sort of effect from the rear center.

However, I do object to your use of the concept of "worthless". It is unfortunate that yet again people find something not in use as worthless. Guess what, some soundtracks won't take advantage of all of your speakers. And some movies won't fill up all your screen. The media is not, and should not be designed to serve the technology- it is the other way around.

The proper presentation of a film is one of the most important elements of this hobby- and to look onto a piece as less because it doesn't take full advantage of the technology you have procured is, IMHO, foolish.

The negative connotation you have applied just because an extra speaker you bought isn't constantly belching out sound is the wrong way to go about looking at this istuation. Be glad the rear center is available for soundtracks designed to use it, but be equally glad it is able to shut up when not intended to be used.

-Vince

4. Lanny_B

Lanny_B Second Unit

Anything that sounds remotely close to a pan-and-scan mentality is not at all what I'm going for. [​IMG]
    Anyway, I just want to provide the most immersive effect the film can offer. If during the film, they want speakers to be quiet, that's great. But anyway, I think I would like to have that back speaker working if it is meant to.

5. Geno

Geno Supporting Actor

6. Geno

Geno Supporting Actor

7. Lanny_B

Lanny_B Second Unit

Sorry Geno, what are you talking about? Research? You mean, I should have thought twice about getting a receiver with 6.1 capability? lol. Sorry man, not sure if you know what I'm talking about. This is my research before I buy a rear speaker. You might want to figure something like that out before you start taking jabs.

8. Geno

Geno Supporting Actor

my bad, but if you are looking for #6 speaker, shouldnt you match it with the other surrounds? just seems logical. although if what they say is true and the rear center is a DLP product of l-surround and r-surround, I see how you would want to make sure you got a good speaker.

What I didnt understand was the "if it is meant to" statement. Im not trying to poke fun or flame you, just trying to understand.

9. Cees Alons

Cees Alons Moderator

Cees Alons
    And now I'm going to say something that's totally out of sync with Vince's feelings.
    If you wouldn't have a 6.1 receiver, but instead an old DPL receiver that's still working (or a decoder), you could mimic the rear centre channel yourself, by feeding the two rear channels to the DPL decoder and get at least a center and (if you're willing to use those) two changed rear-left and rear-right channels out.
    Essentially, you're then doing exactly what a 6.1 receiver does with 5.1-only sources.
    OK, Vince, I'm ducking [​IMG].
    Cees

10. steve nn

steve nn Cinematographer

I am going to be "so very careful" if I ever want to ask a question on this subject. MMMMM-- I better exit.

11. David Hull

David Hull Auditioning

"The media is not, and should not be designed to serve the technology- it is the other way around."

Vince,

If I am not running off on to too much a tangent, I think that you have presented a false dichotomy. I think that technology can build new avenues for artistic expression, and, conversely, technology can be inspired by the media, or art, to evolve and improve the way art is expressed. Art and technology serve each other, just as reason guides passion.

However, I think that you are correct in saying that the availability of technology should not necessitate, or should not motivate one towards, its use.

Cheers,

Dave