What's new

If I could convince you to buy a Blu-ray blindly.... (1 Viewer)

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Ron:

Thanks for the thread and for the nudge to give this film a try (a true blind buy).

I didn't know anything about it. But I do now. I wish more people did.

A great script and a great ensemble cast which produced a number of fine performances. Jeff Nichols wrote and directed a very personal tale which hit all the right notes in weaving together all those different stories of male-female relationships (and father-son relationships).

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Mike,

You are very welcome.

Hopefully all of us can continue to spread the word and encourage
others to discover this wonderful film.

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
Mike Frezon said:
Thanks, Neal. I got a separate confirmation over in this week's RoundUp.

Don't wait. I got the last copy of Mud in my local BB today. And it wasn't in the new releases endcap...it was tucked away all by itself in the drama section.
Best Buy seems to want their customers to leave empty-handed these days, possibly never to return. They have completely revamped their Blu-ray and DVD shelves (very confusing displays), and moved them back from the front of the store. The last three movies (new releases) that I asked for were not on display, which I discovered after looking for twenty minutes or so each time -- an associate had to go to the back room and find them. This is the worst kind of incentive for me to retain a Best Buy card and shop at their local retail store. Amazon's better in every way: in-stock, even lower prices, fast shipping. BB is doomed if they continue on as they are, in my opinion.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Ronald Epstein said:
Mike,

You are very welcome.

Hopefully all of us can continue to spread the word and encourage
others to discover this wonderful film.
And I did just that this morning by telling a few people at my church about the film. None of them had ever heard of it and there are some real cinema lovers in the group! I gave it a very high recommendation.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Mike Frezon said:
I have a similar question to Aaron's. Is there any/much violence or scary stuff in the film? I'm hoping to watch the film with my wife...but she's got issues with gore, fright, etc. I'm hoping that it's pretty much a straight drama.
Matt Hough said:
There is a climactic shootout, but it doesn't contain in-your-face gore. Otherwise, it's a very unusual domestic-style drama. My review went up a few hours ago, and it contains some additional information you might find useful about the film's contents.
I just wanted to come back to this because my wife did watch the film with me and enjoyed it very, very much. She doesn't like action films at all (or anything scary--and she has a LOW threshold as to what's scary!).

Probably one of our favorite films that we both really enjoyed in recent years was Doubt. This one now makes it onto our list of recent favorites. I know we will revisit it down the road.

Stephen_J_H

All Things Film Junkie
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen J. Hill
Just blind bought this on a shopping trip to Montana. Really looking forward to it and staying spoiler-free.

rich_d

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rich
Stephen_J_H said:
Just blind bought this on a shopping trip to Montana. Really looking forward to it and staying spoiler-free.
Just out of curiosity ... is that a trip from British Columbia, Alberta or Saskatchewan?

Mark Booth

Senior HTF Member
I purchased 'Mud' on Blu-ray (blind buy) on release date and it's been sitting (unopened) ever since. Why?

Because it will be the main feature of our double-feature in the Booth Bijou Garage Theater on August 31. I've heard so many good things about this movie, I wanted it to see it for the first time on our big screen, just like our guests!

I'm absolutely dying to see it! It's been difficult to wait this long. But we were traveling and couldn't schedule a Booth Bijou Garage Theater event before the end of August.

The other movie we'll be showing is 'Olympus Has Fallen', which I've already seen. Popcorn flick action, all the way. But I know 'Mud' will be the highlight of the evening!

T-minus 8 days and counting!

Mark

Walter Kittel

Senior HTF Member
I watched the film earlier today and I'll start with the criticisms and then move on...

The 'shootout' felt like it belonged in a different film with a tone that was so different than everything that had came before. The film hints at that level of violence earlier with several fist fights and threats but it still felt somewhat out of place. As I recall a similar film, Ulee's Gold, had a violent confrontation at its finale; but it was more measured, if I recall correctly. (It has been a lot of years since I viewed that fine film, so I could be wrong.)

As much as I enjoy Michael Shannon as an actor, his scenes could have been cut from the film as they really don't drive the narrative perhaps beyond establishing Neck Bone's family history.

To be sure, these are both minor criticisms of a fine film that I enjoyed quite a bit.

The boys were both terrific three dimensional characters with their relationship being the 'meat' of the film. I was pleasantly surprised that so much of the film was a 'coming of age' film dealing with these two individuals. As others have stated, there were echoes of Stand By Me in this film which were really well executed.

McConaughey's screen presence and natural charm were a perfect match for the character of Mud. His nearly endless optimism with regards to the love of his life struck a chord with Ellis who had similar feelings on the topic. This optimism and the innocence of Ellis' character was one of the most appealing aspects of the film for me. Despite some of the hard lessons he learned during the course of the film, Ellis was still hopeful which ingratiated me to his character and the performance of the fine young actor portraying him.

Growing up in a rural setting the outdoors sequence really felt authentic, especially the types of adventures young boys would go on in the countryside. Exploring, finding odd things in the outdoors, dealing with snakes and other animals, etc.

A solid film that was very enjoyable to view.

Fans of this film and Michael Shannon in general would be well served by director Nichols' earlier effort Take Shelter, which features a compelling, flawless performance from Michael Shannon.

- Walter.

Mark Booth

Senior HTF Member
'Mud' was the main feature in the Booth Bijou Garage Theater this evening! WHAT A FABULOUS MOVIE! It was SO worth the wait! Easily, the best Blu-ray blind-buy I've ever made! The Booth Bijou gives it 4.5 out of 5 stars!

Our guests applauded (loudly) at the end of 'Mud'!

Mark

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Easily, the best Blu-ray blind-buy I've ever made!
Welp....looks like my job is done here!

Walter, enjoyed reading your take on the film. Not too
much criticism, thankfully.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation554
Recent bookmarks