What's new

If I buy Avia do I need a meter too? (1 Viewer)

Allen Longcor

Supporting Actor
If I'm going to use Avia to calibrate my system then do I need a meter to calibrate it. If so what kind, where can I get it, and how much?

ChrisMatson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chris
If you want to setup your speakers to ensure that they all are producing the same volume, you will need a sound pressure level meter. The most widely used and recommended meter is the Radio Shack Analog meter (Cat.#: 33-2050)available for about $39. AVIA gives you a walkthrough on how to use that particular meter. You can get your system sounding good by ear alone, but AVIA and the Radio Shack SPL meter are great for fine-tuning.

Don't forget that AVIA is great for setting up the video portion of your HT also.

-Chris

Eric Bass

Second Unit
I'd go a bit futher and say that using a SPL meter will give you more benefit than just fine tuning. I had mine set by ear to what I thought was pretty good and upon calibration with the SPL meter found my surrounds were seriously off. It is a very noticible difference when sound pans from speaker to speaker and the volume is consistent. In my opinion it can make as much difference to have the speaker volumes equal as having the same brand speaker. Anyway, just my 2 cents.

Kevin C Brown

Senior HTF Member
I would like to even further expound on something that Eric alluded to: :)
Before I got my Radio Shack meter, many moons ago, I also tried to balance all the levels in my system by ear alone.
Then, when I got my meter, I was surprised by how far I was off.
The point? When people say that interconnect cable X, AC power cord Y, or acoustic suspension pucks Z improved the sound of their system by "mellowing the midrange," and "easing the stridency in the high frequencies," and "making the bass reponse tighter," I just chuckle.
:D

Bhagi Katbamna

Supporting Actor
The point? When people say that interconnect cable X, AC power cord Y, or acoustic suspension pucks Z improved the sound of their system by "mellowing the midrange," and "easing the stridency in the high frequencies," and "making the bass reponse tighter," I just chuckle.
Then when they list the price, I have a good laugh.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NHCondon
Recent bookmarks