What's new

If I buy a Blu-ray player will I need to upgrade other stuff? (1 Viewer)

Brian E

Screenwriter
Hi all,

It's probably been 4 or 5 years since I posted (most of my stuff is that old too). I'm thinking about getting a Panny BD60, but wondered what else I'll need to upgrade if anything.

Here's my gear...
TV: LG42LH40 42" 1080p 120Hz LCD HDTV
Receiver: Pioneer VSX-709S
Speakers: Front; B&W 602 S3's, Center; B&W LCR60 S3, Rear; B&W 600 S3's, Sub Cambridge Soundworks BassCube 15
(my old specs page (last updated around '05) has info on the receiver and speakers http://www.brianeberling.com/hometheater.html)

I know my receiver won't give me the 'full potential' Blu-ray offers from sound, but will I be able to at least get similar quality to what I'm used to with DVD's without upgrading it right now? If no what are some receiver's I should look at that will drive the B&W's well but not cost an arm and a leg (say $400 or less)?

Is the BD60 going to be OK for this or should I be looking at something with analog outputs?

Thanks

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
Your receiver is a bit old but you would still get regular DD and DTS thru a digital audio connection. You might even be able to get the largely un-known Dolby Digital Plus and DTS Hi-Res. And since it has 5.1 channel analog inputs you could get the Panasonic 80 and use it's analog outputs to get Dolby TrueHD and DTS Master Audio but you wouldn't be able to use the receivers processing like bass/treble controls and bass management. The 80 would handle BM, though.

If you did want to upgrade the receiver the popular models in your price range are the Onkyo 507, Denon 1610 Yamaha 465, Pioneer 919, H/K 254 and maybe the 1600. A new receiver would offer a lot of new features. I'd consider the Onkyo 507 first. Maybe an H/K ?

Also, I'm sure you like your sub but it seems to me a 15" should be able to go lower than 28hz, shouldn't it? People around here really like their subs. I'm also sure the speakers are fine.

Brian E

Screenwriter
Thanks Gene. I thought I'd still get DD & DTS, but wanted to be sure. That's really 'good enough' for me for right now until I can do a big time upgrade of some stuff.

As for the sub, I have no idea how low it should go. I don't really like or dislike it, I got it used from a HTF member a long long time ago and it sounds good to me, but I don't know all that much.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks